Glencliff reported to be ending football this season

nrgrizzlies

1 minute ago, PurplePanther said:

With all due respect, I don’t think recruiting had anything to do with this.  The school is very close to Nolensville Rd.  according to great schools website it is 47% hispanic... I think it’s more, but I’ll go with their data.  School enrolment is 1400 and approximately 700 males.  Half of them are interested in futbol, not football.  Throw in the concussion scares and the field is less.  Then throw in the fact that they are rated 2 out a possible 10....not a driver to go to that school.

Now I DO agree with you on Whites Creek!  What the heck?  The privates as well as East Nashville High School benefit from the kids in that area.

It’s my understanding that Glencliff has 6 or 7 different languages being spoken there.  So on the front of recruitment from Glencliff I can see that not being a huge factor.  If a kid living in that zone can play football he’s probably not going to be attending there.  

I didn’t mean to point fingers.  I’m really just trying to dial in to the contributing factors which lead to the heartbreaking decision to cancel the season and possibly the program.

14 minutes ago, PurplePanther said:

With all due respect, I don’t think recruiting had anything to do with this.  The school is very close to Nolensville Rd.  according to great schools website it is 47% hispanic... I think it’s more, but I’ll go with their data.  School enrolment is 1400 and approximately 700 males.  Half of them are interested in futbol, not football.  Throw in the concussion scares and the field is less.  Then throw in the fact that they are rated 2 out a possible 10....not a driver to go to that school.

Now I DO agree with you on Whites Creek!  What the heck?  The privates as well as East Nashville High School benefit from the kids in that area.

I agree when you have a school dominated by Hispanics and Kurdish kids. Do you think football is going to be the sport of choice ? Not one bit. People can disagree with a liberal mindset, but that’s reality. Culture has a lot to do with the lack of support/ turnout for the football team.

Edited by MJGOLDENBEARS

2 minutes ago, wave88 said:

It’s my understanding that Glencliff has 6 or 7 different languages being spoken there.  So on the front of recruitment from Glencliff I can see that not being a huge factor.  If a kid living in that zone can play football he’s probably not going to be attending there.  

I didn’t mean to point fingers.  I’m really just trying to dial in to the contributing factors which lead to the heartbreaking decision to cancel the season and possibly the program.

I hear ya.  I don’t think you are pointing fingers, but that area has changed drastically since I was in high school.  I remember them fielding good football and basketball teams...putting kids in the SEC.  I don’t doubt the number of languages spoken either as I bet that English is a second language for 70% of the school.  And you are right, if you can play, catch the bus for free and go to East Nashville.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJGOLDENBEARS said:

I agree when you have a school dominated by Hispanics and Kurdish kids. Do you think football is going to be the sport of choice ? Not one bit. People can disagree with a liberal mindset, but that’s reality. Culture has a lot to do with the lack of support/ turnout for the football team.

Agreed.  They WILL have a good soccer team from what I’ve been told.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've been known to ruffle feathers and rub people the wrong way with a little smack talk. However a situation like this breaks my heart.  I respect every  young man who ever suited up and went to war with his brothers in a football game.  I hope the kids that want to play have a better option than it just being the end of the season. Especially for seniors.  It sounds like a sad situation. 

Ok, I’ll be the one to say it. I wouldn’t want my kid playing at Glencliff or White’s Creek. My kidnwouldnt have to be recruited anywhere, I would seek out an alternative. I’m sure this is happening more than recruiting. We can talk all about the lessons learned through perseverance, but I would rather my kid continue to improve and have an opportunity to win. 

Call it whatever you want, but that’s the truth. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eers said:

Ok, I’ll be the one to say it. I wouldn’t want my kid playing at Glencliff or White’s Creek. My kidnwouldnt have to be recruited anywhere, I would seek out an alternative. I’m sure this is happening more than recruiting. We can talk all about the lessons learned through perseverance, but I would rather my kid continue to improve and have an opportunity to win. 

Call it whatever you want, but that’s the truth. 

Who wouldn’t want the same? 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, wave88 said:

You want to see what happens when you have open enrollment and unlimited recruitment from the private schools.  Here is your result.  CR, PC, Hillsboro and East are feasting while the rest of metro schools are struggling.  I never thought I would see the day the Whites Creek Cobras wouldn’t be a team to fear.  I guess what will happen going forward is that the kids who want to play football will all transfer to the power schools in metro and just not have a football team. What ramifications does this create for the TSSAA?  Having schools with more than 2000 kids and not having the ability to field a team.  I’m just sad that it has come to this for any of those kids who have sacrificed their time to be told it wasn’t enough.

There  is far more "recruiting" going on by the  4 publics you mentioned than all the privates combined. That is the dirty little secret.

• Like 1