Giles County @ Marshall County

Lead

4 minutes ago, leadfarmer said:

Osteen had Medley in his first year in 14. It was Medley's senior year. In 15 against Catholic he went for it on 4th and 10 from the 50 on 3 consecutive drives. Catholic turned all that into points. We lost by 19. Why, if you know the other team is that talented, fo you give them a short field and not make them go the length of the field to score? In 16 against Knox Central we had a 24-3 second quarter lead and we try and get cute and start throwing the ball when we had been running it down their throats for almost 2 quarters. Stick with what works. A 2 point win is as good as a 50 point win. 

Medley was kicking for UT in 2014. https://utsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=884

I guess I don’t see the issue at Catholic because we hadn’t slowed them down once when he was going for them early. We were down, and he felt he needed points immediately. I see both sides there, but I think going early makes some sense when it looked like we couldn’t slow them down. 

Maybe I remember Central differently, but they started loading the box the second half and forced us to throw.

Just my opinion of the matter. Easy to second guess a coach after the fact, but I think he’s done a phenomenal job with the program. We’ve had a few other coaches see similar waves of talent as he has had and do less with it. 

17 minutes ago, mcfan10 said:

Osteen never had Medley.

And not sure on the coaching blunders in the semifinals? Catholic was an absolute juggernaut with college players everywhere. Don’t think there was anything they could’ve done in that one. Central was just a great second half effort by that Central team. 

This staff has had more success than all but those teams from the 80s. Not sure why to start point fingers at them. Tonight is a tough loss, but it’s a team that is still growing and getting better. 

Also you are misinterpreting what I'm saying. We have been fortunate to have some very good teams since Osteen has been there. You take it as I'm coach bashing and that's not what it is at all. In all of the games I mentioned i can understand what he was trying to do and in all of those games he did the exact opposite of what the situation called for. Stop being such a homer and see it for what it is. It's almost like I tole a Jesus joke in the middle of Bethlehem. 

Edited by leadfarmer

1 hour ago, leadfarmer said:

Osteen had Medley in his first year in 14. It was Medley's senior year. In 15 against Catholic he went for it on 4th and 10 from the 50 on 3 consecutive drives. Catholic turned all that into points. We lost by 19. Why, if you know the other team is that talented, fo you give them a short field and not make them go the length of the field to score? In 16 against Knox Central we had a 24-3 second quarter lead and we try and get cute and start throwing the ball when we had been running it down their throats for almost 2 quarters. Stick with what works. A 2 point win is as good as a 50 point win. 

Osteen never had Medley, Osteen came in May 2014. Coach Pitts resigned on April 14 of 2014, trust me I know exactly how and when that happened, my son was a Senior 2014 and Pitts resigned the week I was in charge of the Senior Prom. You know who I am and I’m closer to this program than any person commenting on here. Giles #10 threw a punch and no foul for that, I wanted to add that.

1 hour ago, mcfan10 said:

Medley was kicking for UT in 2014. https://utsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=884

I guess I don’t see the issue at Catholic because we hadn’t slowed them down once when he was going for them early. We were down, and he felt he needed points immediately. I see both sides there, but I think going early makes some sense when it looked like we couldn’t slow them down. 

Maybe I remember Central differently, but they started loading the box the second half and forced us to throw.

Just my opinion of the matter. Easy to second guess a coach after the fact, but I think he’s done a phenomenal job with the program. We’ve had a few other coaches see similar waves of talent as he has had and do less with it. 

You are accurate with your statements on Catholic and Central! That is exactly the way both those games went. Osteen has done an awesome job with the hand we’ve been dealt from Wallace leaving and then all the injuries we had last season. At one point we had 7-9 starters all out with injuries. And not many fans know the trials and tribulations we’ve had to deal with this season with different players in different situations. Appreciate the love for our coaching staff and not posting negative comments. Thank you mc fan10 from a very loyal and longtime Tiger fan!

13 minutes ago, Lovemytigers3 said:

Osteen never had Medley, Osteen came in May 2014. Coach Pitts resigned on April 14 of 2014, trust me I know exactly how and when that happened, my son was a Senior 2014 and Pitts resigned the week I was in charge of the Senior Prom. You know who I am and I’m closer to this program than any person commenting on here. Giles #10 threw a punch and no foul for that, I wanted to add that.

Medley graduated May 2014, sorry left that out.

4 hours ago, Lovemytigers3 said:

I'm not bashing the coaches. I think they have done a really good job. My point is that there is a common denominator in big or tight games. This game didnt mean anything as far as playoffs seeding is concerned.  It was a chance to learn and get better. The coaches and kids bust their tails and I want to see them succeed.  

2 hours ago, leadfarmer said:

I'm not bashing the coaches. I think they have done a really good job. My point is that there is a common denominator in big or tight games. This game didnt mean anything as far as playoffs seeding is concerned.  It was a chance to learn and get better. The coaches and kids bust their tails and I want to see them succeed.  

I remember a third overtime win at Maplewood about 4 years ago when we utilized our kicker as well. I would just like for people to understand that our coaches put in around 30+ hours of coaching a week plus games and clinics plus teaching school. And at home they study 30 hours of film or more a week, so when people “question “ their coaching, I’d like to see those people make 45,000$ a year to coach and teach kids that are sometimes very hard to deal with and parents as well. Trust me these coaches are constantly teaching morals and life lessons to these boys. Osteen has had many offers to leave and  would make more money somewhere else, he’s the best thing that’s ever happened to our football program.  Just felt like you were being a little unappreciative, these coaches aren’t perfect but they  certainly try to have our players best interest at heart.

3 hours ago, Lovemytigers3 said:

I remember a third overtime win at Maplewood about 4 years ago when we utilized our kicker as well. I would just like for people to understand that our coaches put in around 30+ hours of coaching a week plus games and clinics plus teaching school. And at home they study 30 hours of film or more a week, so when people “question “ their coaching, I’d like to see those people make 45,000$ a year to coach and teach kids that are sometimes very hard to deal with and parents as well. Trust me these coaches are constantly teaching morals and life lessons to these boys. Osteen has had many offers to leave and  would make more money somewhere else, he’s the best thing that’s ever happened to our football program.  Just felt like you were being a little unappreciative, these coaches aren’t perfect but they  certainly try to have our players best interest at heart.

The only thing that irked me was the decision to go for it instead of kick the field goal. I'm not criticizing the coaches work ethic, teaching, or anything else.  I know this is a good group of coaches. Letting good teams hang around will get you beat. Especially when the opposing coach knows your schemes inside and out. The head coach cant control flag happy officials and when that starts to happen, along with facing a talented defense, points are at a premium and you have to take what you can get. With that being said, I dont think Marshall County would have had the success that they have had witout this coaching staff.

Edited by leadfarmer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, leadfarmer said:

The only thing that irked me was the decision to go for it instead of kick the field goal. I'm not criticizing the coaches work ethic, teaching, or anything else.  I know this is a good group of coaches. Letting good teams hang around will get you beat. Especially when the opposing coach knows your schemes inside and out. The head coach cant control flag happy officials and when that starts to happen, along facing a talented defense, points are at a premium and you have to take what you can get. With that being said, I dont think Marshall County would have had the success that they have had witout this coaching staff.

Yes I can agree with all those points you made. Well after a long week of having to deal with the off the field incidents of last Thursday nights  event  caused by a few Giles players, I’m mentally worn out from dealing with that and glad our game is over and doesn’t  affect our playoff chances at all. So thanks for clearing the air! Go Tigers!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lovemytigers3 said:

Yes I can agree with all those points you made. Well after a long week of having to deal with the off the field incidents of last Thursday nights  event  caused by a few Giles players, I’m mentally worn out from dealing with that and glad our game is over and doesn’t  affect our playoff chances at all. So thanks for clearing the air! Go Tigers!

Off field incidents cause by a few Giles County players? Do explain. 

22 minutes ago, bobcat93 said:

Off field incidents cause by a few Giles County players? Do explain. 

Came to our game at Lawrence County, game went without incident and on our way to buses started hollering rude, vulgar language. We get on buses and leave and they proceed in 2-3 cars of them to swerve in and out of our cars hanging out window giving the bird finger, cussing and get in front of buses and hit their brakes repeatedly. 2 ladies had to take the shoulder to keep from getting hit and cops were called and they were pulled over. And 3 players were suspended because of it, funny when a parent went to GCHS to complain the AD and assistant principal knew nothing about it. I’m sorry that GCHS principal had to deal with all that during her illness, she’s a fine lady. So I’m personally just glad our game is over, wished we would have won to feel less mad about the whole situation but it is what it is. I enjoy the rivalry part as much as anyone for 49 years now, but what happened last week took it to a dangerous level. I remember in school we stole banners and had tacky language between Marshall and Giles but there was a level of respect that’s just not there anymore, it makes me sad. But social media is probably to blame for most of that!