WEST at POWELL 10/11

keepitmoving

3 hours ago, HTV said:

Yep. This is how it happened.  

Was it billed unnecessary roughness or roughing the passer? Looking on DCM it looks as if they assessed it roughing the passer by giving them a first down. How is it roughing the passer if the QB still has the ball? Not sure how that rule is written. Guess I should look it up. Also did a Powell player stomp on a West Player early?  It sure looked like the kid got tackled. As they were getting up the Powell kid stomped/stepped on him. Is that considered intent to injure or accidental?? Just curious as to your guys takes on it. It was early on on the West sideline. Two flags were thrown which looks to be off setting penalties.

8 minutes ago, KnoxVil said:

Was it billed unnecessary roughness or roughing the passer? Looking on DCM it looks as if they assessed it roughing the passer by giving them a first down. How is it roughing the passer if the QB still has the ball? Not sure how that rule is written. Guess I should look it up. Also did a Powell player stomp on a West Player early?  It sure looked like the kid got tackled. As they were getting up the Powell kid stomped/stepped on him. Is that considered intent to injure or accidental?? Just curious as to your guys takes on it. It was early on on the West sideline. Two flags were thrown which looks to be off setting penalties.

Based on my understanding of the rule, roughing the passer makes no sense in that situation, which is part of the reason why I mentioned it. That whole sequence was bizarre.

I missed most of the 1st quarter, so I may have missed the stomping. If that's true, that's completely uncalled for. I'll have to go and review that.

1 hour ago, dawgs82 said:

My son and I went (he a former Powell player) I fell like the officials caused that whole situation. There was never a whistle to stop the play until the QB was hitting the ground. His momentum was stopped a good 2-3 seconds earlier. There were 3 West players on him, he hit tail to back to head, not head first! But his head did pop backwards when he hit. I don't think the West players were doing anything more than carrying out the tackle, which should have been stopped earlier by a whistle. I also wondered about the call on the coach. If Matt goes out only to check on his player, nothing gets called. But he got in an exchange with the officials, which brought the flag. Anyway, great, competitive game, poor officiating!

I agree with you.... I did not see any intent to injure and the QB was not slammed on top of his head. I thought the way it was described he was picked up and literally slammed on his head. Was it a penalty? I can’t hear the whistle but I can see it being called. I have seen much much worse than that. That happens every single time a kid gets tackled out of bounds. Sometimes it gets called, sometimes it doesn’t. Just my two cents. When I hear slammed on his head, I think back to the SC vs. Gibbs Powerbomb.

13 hours ago, KnoxVil said:

My understanding is that the flag was for a late hit.