The Best in the Rural West (outside Memphis/Shelby Co.)

stacmot

There has been some discussion in the subforums as to who has the best football team (regardless of division or class) in rural West Tennessee.  The Jackson area media publish a couple of polls, but I thought that I would get a different perspective.  So with a little time on my hands, I decided to do a little research, pull rural west teams out of some lengthy statewide lists, and get a better picture as to how some impartial professionals and/or computers rank the top 20 teams in rural West Tennessee.  I realize football games aren’t played on paper, but I don’t think there is any harm in looking at what they have to say.

unapproved website (as of Sunday, Oct. 6, 2019)

1.       Henry Co. - 5-2 -  State (TN) Rank 22

2.       Haywood - 6-1 - State (TN) Rank 30

3.       Covington – 6-1 - State (TN) Rank 35

4.       Peabody –  6-0 - State (TN) Rank 41

5.       South Gibson – 6-1 - State (TN) Rank 45

6.       Huntingdon – 6-0 - State (TN) Rank 47

7.       Dyer Co.  6-1 - State (TN) Rank 58

8.       Hardin Co. – 6-1 - State (TN) Rank 71

9.       Milan – 4-3 - State (TN) Rank 78

10.   Lake Co. –  6-0 - State (TN) Rank 80

11.   USJ –  5-1 - State (TN) Rank 84

12.   McNairy Central – 5-2 - State (TN) Rank 96

13.   Fayette Academy – 5-1 - State (TN) Rank 99

14.   Westview – 3-3 -  State (TN) Rank 104

15.   Lexington – 4-3 -  State (TN) Rank 105

16.   Munford – 5-2 - State (TN) Rank 106

17.   Jackson North Side – 3-4 - State (TN) Rank 117

18.   Crockett Co. – 4-3- State (TN) Rank 120

19.   McKenzie – 3-3 - State (TN) Rank 160

20.   Dyersburg – 3-3 - State (TN) Rank 161

At this point in the season, I agree that Henry Co. is the best in the rural west. 

Edited by stacmot

When looking at power ratings, Henry Co. still comes out on top, but the pecking order for 2 – 20 are somewhat different than in the post above.

Sonny Moore’s Power Ratings (as of Sunday, Oct.6, 2019)

Teams:                             CLASS   W   L     SOS      PR

1.  HENRY COUNTY                  5A    5   2     107.54   124.22

2.  PEABODY                             2A    6   0      85.86   123.60

3.  COVINGTON                        3A    6   1      97.68   122.02

4.  DYER COUNTY                     5A    6   1      93.78   121.23

5.  HUNTINGDON                     1A    7   0      86.93   117.06

6.  SOUTH GIBSON                   3A    6   1     102.60   116.81

7.  MILAN                                    3A    4   3     103.47   116.03

8.  HAYWOOD                             4A    6   1      98.16   115.21

9.  USJ                                           A1    5   1      92.97   112.83

10.HARDIN COUNTY                  4A    6   1     92.22   111.47

11.LAKE COUNTY                        1A    6   0     78.87   111.12

12.McNAIRY CENTRAL                3A    5   2     87.88   108.33

13.LEXINGTON                             4A    4   3     94.75   104.30

14.MUNFORD                               5A    5   2     94.13   104.25

15.FAYETTE ACADEMY                 A1    5   1     89.30   103.88

16.DYERSBURG                             4A    3   3     96.48   103.50

17.WESTVIEW                                3A    4   3    100.89   103.06

18.JACKSON NORTH SIDE            4A    3   4     99.83   102.74

19.CROCKETT COUNTY                 4A    4   3     92.68   100.11

20.GIBSON COUNTY                      2A    5   2     84.55    94.90

Edited by stacmot

On 10/8/2019 at 10:39 PM, stacmot said:

There has been some discussion in the subforums as to who has the best football team (regardless of division or class) in rural West Tennessee.  The Jackson area media publish a couple of polls, but I thought that I would get a different perspective.  So with a little time on my hands, I decided to do a little research, pull rural west teams out of some lengthy statewide lists, and get a better picture as to how some impartial professionals and/or computers rank the top 20 teams in rural West Tennessee.  I realize football games aren’t played on paper, but I don’t think there is any harm in looking at what they have to say.

unapproved website (as of Sunday, Oct. 6, 2019)

1.       Henry Co. - 5-2 -  State (TN) Rank 22

2.       Haywood - 6-1 - State (TN) Rank 30

3.       Covington – 6-1 - State (TN) Rank 35

4.       Peabody –  6-0 - State (TN) Rank 41

5.       South Gibson – 6-1 - State (TN) Rank 45

6.       Huntingdon – 6-0 - State (TN) Rank 47

7.       Dyer Co.  6-1 - State (TN) Rank 58

8.       Hardin Co. – 6-1 - State (TN) Rank 71

9.       Milan – 4-3 - State (TN) Rank 78

10.   Lake Co. –  6-0 - State (TN) Rank 80

11.   USJ –  5-1 - State (TN) Rank 84

12.   McNairy Central – 5-2 - State (TN) Rank 96

13.   Fayette Academy – 5-1 - State (TN) Rank 99

14.   Westview – 3-3 -  State (TN) Rank 104

15.   Lexington – 4-3 -  State (TN) Rank 105

16.   Munford – 5-2 - State (TN) Rank 106

17.   Jackson North Side – 3-4 - State (TN) Rank 117

18.   Crockett Co. – 4-3- State (TN) Rank 120

19.   McKenzie – 3-3 - State (TN) Rank 160

20.   Dyersburg – 3-3 - State (TN) Rank 161

At this point in the season, I agree that Henry Co. is the best in the rural west. 

Interesting stuff. Thank you for taking the time to put this together. The Fox Sports Jackson 105.3 poll he uses a mix of Sonny Moore, overall records, strength of schedule, and my own gut feelings.

On and off topic subject, as a loyal Haywood County supporter, would you give your perspective or do you know the actual reasons that Simmons was released as basketball coach for the Tomcats. There is also a thread in the basketball Forum about this. I would love your take on it as well as the take of other Haywood County posters on Coach T

1 minute ago, ReitzFan said:

Interesting stuff. Thank you for taking the time to put this together. The Fox Sports Jackson 105.3 poll he uses a mix of Sonny Moore, overall records, strength of schedule, and my own gut feelings.

On and off topic subject, as a loyal Haywood County supporter, would you give your perspective or do you know the actual reasons that Simmons was released as basketball coach for the Tomcats. There is also a thread in the basketball Forum about this. I would love your take on it as well as the take of other Haywood County posters on Coach T

All of the info in the poll is now a week old.  No one seemed interested enough to comment, so I won't do that again.

I'm somewhat leery about making comments on the basketball situation, since I don't know a lot about it.  I do know that there were a number of players/parents who were not happy with Coach Simmons, but I don't really know why.  I heard that a large number of players had quit. 

2 hours ago, stacmot said:

All of the info in the poll is now a week old.  No one seemed interested enough to comment, so I won't do that again.

I'm somewhat leery about making comments on the basketball situation, since I don't know a lot about it.  I do know that there were a number of players/parents who were not happy with Coach Simmons, but I don't really know why.  I heard that a large number of players had quit. 

I have heard the same.

On 10/16/2019 at 2:15 PM, stacmot said:

This type thread usually gets a lot of play... I think maybe because it's in the "general" football forum, not many people have seen it ( I just did for the first time). @Southtowner usually has good insight even out of his area, might be that he'd have some input.

Henry County has a good case for the top spot. Most reasonable people would give them the nod over all other teams for various reasons... they've beaten "better" opposition, sheer numbers (depth), common opponent comparison, and enrollment size (classification). One team that I'm not sure about though, is Peabody. The tide is talented and deep... their coaching staff (not just the HC) is great, and they've beaten everybody on their schedule (so far) by pretty much whatever they wanted to win by. Position vs. position Henry Co. probably stacks up better, but as a team I'm not sold that Trenton wouldn't outscore the Pats should they play. Milan sort of exposed Covington as one dimensional, but with better play calling on offense coupled with their extraordinary defense, they could give both Trenton and Henry County fits. I'm sort of leaving Haywood out of the conversation, but to me, they just don't seem on the same level as the other three mentioned.

Thanks for your comment.  I placed this thread in the general football forum because it covered rural West Tennessee teams from Division I – Classes 1A through 5A, and Division II - Class A1.  I knew the thread wouldn’t get a lot of attention in the general forum, but I didn’t think it belonged in any of the other subforums.  

The two polls ranked teams based on computer generated information published on October 6th by Max  Preps and Sonny Moore, so the stats are not the same today.  Obviously, I did not rank any of the teams on the two lists based on my personal opinion.  However, I did give my opinion that Henry Co. deserved to be ranked number 1, and I still agree with that. Even though I am a Haywood fan, I didn’t create the thread to garner any support for Haywood, and I definitely agree with your thoughts concerning Haywood.  In fact, I agree with everything you said.

Since a lot of polls seem (at least in part) to be based on ad money, selling papers, and biased opinions, I was trying to create an easy to view look of the rural west teams that wasn’t based on any of those factors.

Also, it is somewhat alarming to see how the West Tennessee teams are ranked when you look at them compared to the rest of the state, but that age old argument is best suited for another thread.

11 hours ago, stacmot said:

Thanks for your comment.  I placed this thread in the general football forum because it covered rural West Tennessee teams from Division I – Classes 1A through 5A, and Division II - Class A1.  I knew the thread wouldn’t get a lot of attention in the general forum, but I didn’t think it belonged in any of the other subforums.  

The two polls ranked teams based on computer generated information published on October 6th by Max  Preps and Sonny Moore, so the stats are not the same today.  Obviously, I did not rank any of the teams on the two lists based on my personal opinion.  However, I did give my opinion that Henry Co. deserved to be ranked number 1, and I still agree with that. Even though I am a Haywood fan, I didn’t create the thread to garner any support for Haywood, and I definitely agree with your thoughts concerning Haywood.  In fact, I agree with everything you said.

Since a lot of polls seem (at least in part) to be based on ad money, selling papers, and biased opinions, I was trying to create an easy to view look of the rural west teams that wasn’t based on any of those factors.

Also, it is somewhat alarming to see how the West Tennessee teams are ranked when you look at them compared to the rest of the state, but that age old argument is best suited for another thread.

The Western Division has recently given a good account for ourselves... many titles in the lower classifications and good showings with a few titles in the bigger ones. Before the last ten or so years, the East was on a different level mostly, and this year seems to be down across the board for the West again, but I don't believe that it will stay that way for long.