USJ at Davidson Academy

Bellsburg2

The Bruins try to bounce back from their first loss of the season this week on the road against defending state champion Davidson Academy. Davidson Academy has won their last 4 games after a tough 0-2 start. The Bruins find themselves in a mid-season QB battle. The senior starter elected to forego ACL surgery (and miss his last season of football) and he played quite a few snaps in last week's narrow loss to NCS. Presumably, reps in practice this week will determine who gets the nod this Friday, but I would expect a fair number of snaps for both. USJ is nursing a couple of other key injuries and if those players are unable to go this week, it could have a significant impact on strategy, particularly on offense. 

These two teams seem to be fairly matched on paper and on film and the outcome of this game will have major playoff ramifications as both teams currently have a loss to NCS as the only blemish on their region record to date. I predict another nail-biter and the Davidson Academy Boosters have announced the "will sell us the whole seat, but you'll only need the edgeeee" {Tractor Pull Announcer Voice}

Anyone have any thoughts? Any Bears fans on here?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kublah said:

Disappointing showing by USJ. DA just flat out wanted this one more and controlled the game from the opening kickoff.

Still think USJ is in the mix for the championship, but they've got some stuff to work on for sure!

Disappointing indeed, in all three facets of the game. Need to turn around quickly for FA next week. 

I agree that USJ is still in the mix.

On 10/12/2019 at 5:50 AM, Kublah said:

Disappointing showing by USJ. DA just flat out wanted this one more and controlled the game from the opening kickoff.

Still think USJ is in the mix for the championship, but they've got some stuff to work on for sure!

I totally agree that last Friday nights performance was disappointing.  However, I don't completely agree that DA wanted it more or even controlled the game from the opening kickoff.  Our kids played hard but we didn't execute when we needed to.  The loss was not from a lack of effort.  Both teams had to play in the heavy rain but I believe it hurt USJ more.  DA is a big, physical team that loves to run the ball.  The weather  conditions took away our deep passing game and leveled the playing field on special teams.    The biggest negative for us was tackling on defense.  We struggled for the 1st time all year in that phase of the game.  

USJ's deficit was never bigger than 7 until the last 4 minutes of the game (went to 9) and most of the game were only down 1.