South Gibson @ Covington Oct. 18, 2019

Congratulations to SGC. They won tonight by playing better.

Mistakes did enter in. There weren't many. When the Covington punter went down on a knee to handle the low snap, the ball was dead there and went over to SCG inside the 10. From there, they easily scored the winning TD. 

The Chargers definitely miss Caleb Winfrey at linebacker. Before his injury, the D was giving up an average of 5 points per game. Now Milan got 14 and SGC got 21. But, injuries are part of the game.

Covington will survive. 

Edited by CHARGERFAN

2 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Mistakes did enter in. There weren't many. When the Covington punter went down on a knee to handle the low snap, the ball was dead there and went over to SCG inside the 10. From there, they easily scored the winning TD. 

The Chargers definitely Miss Caleb Winfrey at linebacker. Before his injury, the D was giving up an average of 5 points per game. Now Milan got 14 and SGC got 21. But, injuries are part of the game.

Covington will survive. 

I’ve done a little research and a miniscus without surgery has a recovery time of 4-8 weeks.....maybe just maybe he could return for the playoffs...round 2 would put him at 8 weeks....fingers crossed

16 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

I’ve done a little research and a miniscus without surgery has a recovery time of 4-8 weeks.....maybe just maybe he could return for the playoffs...round 2 would put him at 8 weeks....fingers crossed

I hadn't heard what his issue was. I've got a torn meniscus in my knee. A cortisone shot helped me walk better, but I'm not going to play football on it.

6 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

The Chargers definitely Miss Caleb Winfrey at linebacker. Before his injury, the D was giving up an average of 5 points per game. Now Milan got 14 and SGC got 21. But, injuries are part of the game.

Covington will survive.

I only heard the last few minutes of the game.  South Gibson was winning 20 - 13 by the time I tuned in, so I don't really know how it all played out. 

It just seems like there have been a lot of season ending injuries this year.  I wish Caleb Winfrey a speedy recovery.  Is he a senior?

I hope Covington can regain their composure and win out.

On a side note, the flags flew high and often against Haywood tonight.  I thought of what you had said about Covington fans, and I wanted to yell...y'all must be from Dyersburg!

Wow! What a game! I knew it was going to be a good one. 

First I want to say thank you to all of the posters, and fans. Very classy of you guys with your kind words of congrats. I even have to say thank you to the Milan fan with the kind words ( yes it was painful for me to type that )

I think that most logical fans knew this was going to be a close game. Covington came out running a double wing / triple option. I tip my hat the Chargers for putting that in during the bye week and surprising us with it tonight. 

Also, coach Kirby is class act. I talked with him and was full of nothing but praises and compliments. 

Charger fans, You guys are really and I do mean really good. I know that y'all have take 2 back to back losses but step away for a second, get it back together y'all will be fine. Marcus Hayes is the absolute real deal. He IS THE BEST RUNNING BACK WE HAVE PLAYED THIS YEAR. Unfortunately for him he was having to run right at the best lineman in our league in Paxton Terry. 

To the legend on this board " chargerfan " Thank you for your kind words. I was a pleasure to meet you. I thought you were an old man! You did not look a day over 29!

BPM  EAT A FROG!!!!!! A BIG FAT JUICY FROG!!!!! SGC WON!!!!! I HAVE PICS TO PROVE IT!

I knew before the season started that SGC was going to be pretty good but I did not know how good. I think they proved tonight that they deserve the region crown. 

Someone WAY smarter than me is going to have to figure out how the region is going to shake out for the 2,3 and, 4 spots. 

Congrats to my Hornets! Proud of kids, and coaches for finding a way to get it done this year in the nastiest region in the state. 

/steven

• Upvote 2

Still can't believe SGC went on the road to Covington and beat the Chargers on their home field , after a bye week to prepare, after a loss and despite SCG having/overcoming numerous/lots of inopportune penalties throughout the game.

Did it really happen?

SGC you earned it w/o doubt. Enjoy that Champinship

I have believed this since I saw them play Milan earlier. South Gibson is the most complete team in the region and that is why they are the champs. Probably don’t have the most talented team but the play as a team better than anyone. The defense is disciplined and not afraid to hit and get after it. The offense isn’t flashy but don’t make mistakes and they have a veteran qb that can get the ball down field when need be. Congrats Hornets. 

On 10/12/2019 at 11:25 AM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

This is going to be a great game. Wish I could see it. I think Covington  has 2 weeks to prepare after their first regular season loss in a couple of years. And they are playing at home. Got a feeling that is going to be really bad news for the hornets!!!

Crow served up!