Bearden @ Farragut

Bluegreymom

9 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Bearden is a totally different team with the QB back.

Agreed. I’m not sure what to make of Bearden. I saw Bearden play against HVA and they didn’t look that great,(even with their QB) but seemed considerably better last Friday. Farragut seems unpredictable as well. The whole region aside from DB seems down this year. 

Not sure if Bearden still has a lot of injuries or If they have most of their players healthy again. I remember they had a ton of hurt kids earlier in the season. I know that Farragut has struggled with injuries all year.  At this point in the season, everyone’s team is beat up for sure but I can’t remember a time we’ve had more injured starters.

Edited by Bluegreymom
Clarification

13 minutes ago, Bluegreymom said:

Agreed. I’m not sure what to make of Bearden. I saw Bearden play against HVA and they didn’t look that great,(even with their QB) but seemed considerably better last Friday. Farragut seems unpredictable as well. The whole region aside from DB seems down this year. 

Not sure if Bearden still has a lot of injuries or If they have most of their players healthy again. I remember they had a ton of hurt kids earlier in the season. I know that Farragut has struggled with injuries all year.  At this point in the season, everyone’s team is beat up for sure but I can’t remember a time we’ve had more injured starters.

In your opinion since you have seen D-B. Are they for real or not.

41 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

In your opinion since you have seen D-B. Are they for real or not.

I think they are. I understand their competition hasn’t been top notch. I’m not sure how many if any of their wins have come against a program over .500 but they aren’t just squeaking by, their offense is putting up lots of points and their defense has held multiple teams scoreless and held others to two or less touchdowns so yeah I will give them credit. Their running backs are impressive and more importantly, their O and D line gets the job done. The secondary isn’t the greatest but that tough D line balances that well.

i don’t know how they will fare against say, Alcoa or Maryville and I’m not ready to say oh they will definitely win,  but I feel like if they can keep the unsportsmanlike penalties and turnovers in check, they should be able to compete and maybe surprise some people. 

15 minutes ago, Bluegreymom said:

I think they are. I understand their competition hasn’t been top notch. I’m not sure how many if any of their wins have come against a program over .500 but they aren’t just squeaking by, their offense is putting up lots of points and their defense has held multiple teams scoreless and held others to two or less touchdowns so yeah I will give them credit. Their running backs are impressive and more importantly, their O and D line gets the job done. The secondary isn’t the greatest but that tough D line balances that well.

i don’t know how they will fare against say, Alcoa or Maryville and I’m not ready to say oh they will definitely win,  but I feel like if they can keep the unsportsmanlike penalties and turnovers in check, they should be able to compete and maybe surprise some people. 

Them and Alcoa tangle in a few weeks so it will be very interesting game to see.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bluegreymom said:

I believe Tennessee High may be the only team over .500 D-B has played and defeated.  Oak Ridge is right at .500 I believe.

• Like 1

I think both teams are fighting to stay relevant. This will be a better game than Powell v. West IMO, but that is for another thread. Really enjoyed this game last year but both teams have struggled through injuries all year long. Potentially, this could be another Rivalry Thursday classic, either way though I have to wish the best of luck to both teams.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, LEFTYKNOX said:

I think both teams are fighting to stay relevant. This will be a better game than Powell v. West IMO, but that is for another thread. Really enjoyed this game last year but both teams have struggled through injuries all year long. Potentially, this could be another Rivalry Thursday classic, either way though I have to wish the best of luck to both teams.

Injuries have definitely been huge for both teams. It seems like each week a new starter gets hurt. I know at one point earlier in the season, Bearden was down like...12kids, 8 of them starters. I feel like Farragut isn’t too far off. It will be an important game for both schools for sure

This game is a toss up between 2 below average teams. Last year Farragut got outcoached by Bearden. For some reason Farragut makes a game plan and sticks to it and never makes adjustments. DB ran the ball straight down Farragut's throat and Farragut did nothing to stop it. I know Farragut has a lot of injuries but its up to the coaches to come up with a game plan or change that game plan when it doesn't work. Farragut's line and DBs have been awful most of the year and I think some of that can be fixed with the right coaching. Farragut has a whole sideline full of coaches but cant seem to get the players on and off the field correctly for special teams. They just seem very disorganized and seem to be  doing more spectating than coaching. How many games this year is Farragut going to have momentum only to fumble punt or turnover in general and the team just deflates?? I've watched Farragut for a while and this year has made me realize that Farragut has been pretty good the past few years and even won a state title despite having a below average coaching staff. In the past Farragut has had some stand out players that made their coaching job easy. This year and the next few years are going to be hard to watch and it will show what type of coaches Farragut has. As far as this weeks game I honestly don't know what to expect. If the line kind of blocks and QB has a little time he can pick Bearden apart but the receivers also have to catch the ball and hold onto it. If the they move #8 around and maybe put him in at MLB so that the offense can't run away from him and DBs learn how to cover a receiver and make an open field tackle then Farragut can win. With this group who knows???????

2 hours ago, DavidGlasgow said:

This game is a toss up between 2 below average teams. Last year Farragut got outcoached by Bearden. For some reason Farragut makes a game plan and sticks to it and never makes adjustments. DB ran the ball straight down Farragut's throat and Farragut did nothing to stop it. I know Farragut has a lot of injuries but its up to the coaches to come up with a game plan or change that game plan when it doesn't work. Farragut's line and DBs have been awful most of the year and I think some of that can be fixed with the right coaching. Farragut has a whole sideline full of coaches but cant seem to get the players on and off the field correctly for special teams. They just seem very disorganized and seem to be  doing more spectating than coaching. How many games this year is Farragut going to have momentum only to fumble punt or turnover in general and the team just deflates?? I've watched Farragut for a while and this year has made me realize that Farragut has been pretty good the past few years and even won a state title despite having a below average coaching staff. In the past Farragut has had some stand out players that made their coaching job easy. This year and the next few years are going to be hard to watch and it will show what type of coaches Farragut has. As far as this weeks game I honestly don't know what to expect. If the line kind of blocks and QB has a little time he can pick Bearden apart but the receivers also have to catch the ball and hold onto it. If the they move #8 around and maybe put him in at MLB so that the offense can't run away from him and DBs learn how to cover a receiver and make an open field tackle then Farragut can win. With this group who knows???????

It’s been one of our rougher seasons for sure. We are crippled by injury and/ or depth at almost every position. We’ve got who we’ve got.  it’s no secret that we don’t have the level of talent that we’ve had in past years. We graduated a lot of really special stand out kids.  Much of our current talent is injured and more are playing hurt. RB, LB, OL, DB all have suffered because of this. And yes, late in the season most teams have injuries. We are particularly unhealthy this year tho. 

My husband is the running backs coach so I’m probably not the best person to comment on the quality of coaching because I’m not exactly unbiased. I absolutely think we have good coaches. Perfect? Nope. Do mistakes get made? Yes, for sure. Do I find things that make me think “gee, I’d like to see this or that done differently?” Yes, of course. But that’s pretty much anywhere. I promise that every single one of those guys are putting in 7 days a week for this team. Yes for sure, elite players make coaches look good and make their job look easy...And A rough season makes people critical and makes things look like chaos. 

It’s a  disappointing season for sure and no one wants to be at week 9 with four losses. Not the players, coaches, parents, students or fans. But sometimes the things that people want coaches to fix aren’t as simple as people think. Again, not saying they are perfect or are never wrong but  I think it’s not always as simple as it might seem.