6A Playoff Teams to Watch

BigGameHunter

4 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

Is that why they keep giving them the first place vote in the AP?  

Fritz is the biggest Homer about Tri-cities teams so i would say yes.  He is the same sports writer that doesn't classify Greeneville as NE TN and once we started winning championships took us off the top 10 teams in NE TN.

57 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Fritz is the biggest Homer about Tri-cities teams so i would say yes.  He is the same sports writer that doesn't classify Greeneville as NE TN and once we started winning championships took us off the top 10 teams in NE TN.

That is just petty.   Personally, I have always considered Greeneville a NET team.  How do you consider yourselves?  Great program by the way!  

34 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

That is just petty.   Personally, I have always considered Greeneville a NET team.  How do you consider yourselves?  Great program by the way!  

We have always been NE TN and Greeneville has not changed locations :lol:.  He classifies Hawkins County as NE TN and we are the south side of Hawkins and Touch Washington Co. (Heck people in Greeneville even subscribe to the Johnson City Paper).  I have always though it was funny that I made the NE TN team when I played but once we won our first Championship then Knoxville picked us up since Tri-Cities disowned us because we were beating up on everyone up there. In that same article he Elizabethton as a Title Contender for 4a when the last time they beat Greeneville was 10 years ago and the last time they beat us when we were in the same classification was 2004 and have yet to beat AC either.

To me it seems like when Greeneville decided to stay in 4a and play schools their size for the first time in School history they shunned us for that. We have always played up a classification and weren't and still not afraid to play anyone that wants to play us as you can tell from our past schedules. 

3 minutes ago, Swipes said:

We have always been NE TN and Greeneville has not changed locations :lol:.  He classifies Hawkins County as NE TN and we are the south side of Hawkins and Touch Washington Co. (Heck people in Greeneville even subscribe to the Johnson City Paper).  I have always though it was funny that I made the NE TN team when I played but once we won our first Championship then Knoxville picked us up since Tri-Cities disowned us because we were beating up on everyone up there. In that same article he Elizabethton as a Title Contender for 4a when the last time they beat Greeneville was 10 years ago and the last time they beat us when we were in the same classification was 2004 and have yet to beat AC either.

To me it seems like when Greeneville decided to stay in 4a and play schools their size for the first time in School history they shunned us for that. We have always played up a classification and weren't and still not afraid to play anyone that wants to play us as you can tell from our past schedules. 

Can we get an Oakland/Greeneville series since we're in the same boat? We can't seem to get non region teams within our county (LaVergne, Smyrna & Stewarts Creek) to schedule us and most of Williamson Co and all of Wilson Co politely decline.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, GoPats2019 said:

Can we get an Oakland/Greeneville series since we're in the same boat? We can't seem to get non region teams within our county (LaVergne, Smyrna & Stewarts Creek) to schedule us and most of Williamson Co and all of Wilson Co politely decline.  

Tell Coach Creasy to give Coach Hammond's a call.  We aren't afraid to travel.  We have played teams from VA (Graham when they had Ahmad Bradshaw), Ky, NC.  We have had the same problem over the last 10 year run.  Would have loved to seen Oakland and Greeneville play last year.

35 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Tell Coach Creasy to give Coach Hammond's a call.  We aren't afraid to travel.  We have played teams from VA (Graham when they had Ahmad Bradshaw), Ky, NC.  We have had the same problem over the last 10 year run.  Would have loved to seen Oakland and Greeneville play last year.

Greeneville does not want that Series. Devils are a solid program and very good program. But, are not close to the same Caliber of Athletes as Oakland "Year in and Out". Last year Greeneville team had a chance to make it respectable for sure, but consistently it would be hard for Greeneville. Keep beating SH and DB then travel down to Maryvillle to play the Mighty Red Rebels after that to head on down to Bradley for a good High Scoring game series with tons of points. 

Then you make your way to Oakland after you have mastered the big boys in the East ... Key word Consistently. 

3 hours ago, blazer1set said:

According to the Johnson City Press, DB is a legitimate state title contender this year in 6A.

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Football/2019/10/12/Area-teams-step-outside-region-to-play-familiar-foes-1.html?ci=stream&lp=4&p=

DB is having a great year for second year coach. This is how DB should be viewed year in and out. However, Region 1 6A is really down this year. Also, we will get a better understanding of them when they travel down to Alcoa in the final week. That being said. Best of luck to the Indians because if they make it pass BC it will be 35-0 at half-time when they play Maryville.  Great Season for 2nd year coach, but DB will finish 11-2. Now like I said in other post. I hope I am wrong. But, a spade is a spade. 

20 hours ago, MJGOLDENBEARS said:

I don’t know much about Dobyns Bennett, but they seem legit.

20 hours ago, blazer1set said:

DB has played mostly teams with losing records, but still they deserve credit for remaining unbeaten, and they will easily win the rest of their games until Alcoa in the last game of the regular season.     And it is too early to start that thread, but I'm not sure even Alcoa can beat DB this year.    Even the mediocre teams they have played, they are completely blowing them up on both sides of the ball.       DB may not be really tested until round 3 when they meet Maryville.   But let's just see how the rest of the season plays out....

Some objective info on Dobyns Bennett and playoffs.

2001 10-0 DB loses in R1 to 5-5 William Blount

2003 9-1 DB lost in R3

2004 10-0 DB lost in R3

2005 9-1 DB lost in R1

2006 10-0 DB lost in R1 to 6-4 WB

2007 DB lost in R2 by 3 TDs

2008 10-0 DB lost in R1 to 6-4 McMinn

2010 10-0 DB lost in RD2 to 7-3 Bearden

2011 10-0 DB lost in R2 to a team that lost by 5 TDs in R3

2012 10-0 DB lost by 3TDs  in R3

2013 DB lost in R1

2014 8-2 DB lost in Rd 2 by 34 points

2015 DB lost in R1 by 46 points to a team that lost by 5TDs in RD3

2016 Db lost in R2 by 4 TDs

2017 DB lost in RD3 by 5 TDs

They have beefed up their schedule in recent years and in may pay dividends this year. But I can't get past the fact that WB has 4 playoff wins in 40 years and half of them come against 10-0 DB teams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pinocchio007 said:

Greeneville does not want that Series. Devils are a solid program and very good program. But, are not close to the same Caliber of Athletes as Oakland "Year in and Out". Last year Greeneville team had a chance to make it respectable for sure, but consistently it would be hard for Greeneville. Keep beating SH and DB then travel down to Maryvillle to play the Mighty Red Rebels after that to head on down to Bradley for a good High Scoring game series with tons of points. 

Then you make your way to Oakland after you have mastered the big boys in the East ... Key word Consistently. 

DB is having a great year for second year coach. This is how DB should be viewed year in and out. However, Region 1 6A is really down this year. Also, we will get a better understanding of them when they travel down to Alcoa in the final week. That being said. Best of luck to the Indians because if they make it pass BC it will be 35-0 at half-time when they play Maryville.  Great Season for 2nd year coach, but DB will finish 11-2. Now like I said in other post. I hope I am wrong. But, a spade is a spade. 

That wasn't the point Pinocchio007.  Greeneville has never ran from competition and i would hope a School the size of Oakland (over 2,100 students) and Greeneville (900 Students) would win more times than not.  That hasn't kept us from playing Maryville, Alcoa, Fulton (In their championship runs), etc.  It's good for the top program in the state to play each other.  Last year game would have been a dog fight and that has came from other fans outside of Oakland and Greeneville.  Greeneville had quite a bit of D1 Talent last Year (Wake Forest, Army, UVA, ETSU, Marshall, Furman and UT).  It's a thing called matchup's and Greeneville was tough to match up last year with how well they ran the O and D.  unapproved website has it as a 3 point game if last years teams met.  This year Oakland is probably 3 TD's better than Greeneville but that still doesn't mean the teams wouldn't play each other.

• Upvote 2

On 10/14/2019 at 3:50 PM, blazer1set said:

Come on, who is going to stop them?    They have been literally stomping their competition thus far.

1-Maryville no one else close.

2-DB, SHHS, Farragut, Bradley Central & McMinn County. Bearden??  Any given night any of these teams could beat the other. DB would have at lease 3 L's with Science Hill schedule. 

Bold Prediction. Bearden beats Farragut this week and Science Hill beat DB and Bearden to win the conference and be the 1 seed for the playoffs. The tough schedule for the HILL pays off the last 2 games and playoffs. The youngsters that were inexperienced early in the season have grown up. If we limit the mistakes we may be playing Maryville in round 3. Take nothing for granted this year until you get to Maryville anyone can win. 

NE TN Ranking

1-Crockett

2-Betsy

3-Greeneville

4-DB & SHHS

5-TN High 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, toppernationfan said:

1-Maryville no one else close.

2-DB, SHHS, Farragut, Bradley Central & McMinn County. Bearden??  Any given night any of these teams could beat the other. DB would have at lease 3 L's with Science Hill schedule. 

Bold Prediction. Bearden beats Farragut this week and Science Hill beat DB and Bearden to win the conference and be the 1 seed for the playoffs. The tough schedule for the HILL pays off the last 2 games and playoffs. The youngsters that were inexperienced early in the season have grown up. If we limit the mistakes we may be playing Maryville in round 3. Take nothing for granted this year until you get to Maryville anyone can win. 

NE TN Ranking

1-Crockett

2-Betsy

3-Greeneville

4-DB & SHHS

5-TN High 

That's not a Bold Prediction. That's a Stupid Prediction. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 32hammer said:

Some objective info on Dobyns Bennett and playoffs.

2001 10-0 DB loses in R1 to 5-5 William Blount

2003 9-1 DB lost in R3

2004 10-0 DB lost in R3

2005 9-1 DB lost in R1

2006 10-0 DB lost in R1 to 6-4 WB

2007 DB lost in R2 by 3 TDs

2008 10-0 DB lost in R1 to 6-4 McMinn

2010 10-0 DB lost in RD2 to 7-3 Bearden

2011 10-0 DB lost in R2 to a team that lost by 5 TDs in R3

2012 10-0 DB lost by 3TDs  in R3

2013 DB lost in R1

2014 8-2 DB lost in Rd 2 by 34 points

2015 DB lost in R1 by 46 points to a team that lost by 5TDs in RD3

2016 Db lost in R2 by 4 TDs

2017 DB lost in RD3 by 5 TDs

They have beefed up their schedule in recent years and in may pay dividends this year. But I can't get past the fact that WB has 4 playoff wins in 40 years and half of them come against 10-0 DB teams.

So basically what you are saying is, DB is basically the last couple years of Mt Juliet teams. Gotcha.. but did actually make it past one or two rounds.

Edited by DaChampsAgain
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1