Knoxville Catholic at Baylor

Spartan4Life

10 hours ago, LouPickney said:

I'll be less than 10 miles away from this game tonight, calling Father Ryan at McCallie. I had hoped KC/Baylor would be on the NFHS Network so I could watch it later when I game prep for FRHS/KC, but no such luck as it appears KC won't be streaming it.

I watched the Knoxville Catholic game against McCallie earlier this week. KC has a strong front seven, which helped them to hang in there in the first half. Stout run defense in the middle.

But McCallie was able to spread KC out and do a lot of damage running outside the tackles. McCallie built on their lead late in the first half. In the second half, McCallie was finally able to run between the tackles with some success. And by some success I mean McCallie ended up with 421 yards rushing.

Baylor has a very strong team this year, and I'm not sure how Knoxville Catholic will stop this:

Elijah Howard is a special player. Keep in mind Howard was facing a very good McCallie defense in that clip above, and he was making diagonal cuts like Bo Jackson in Tecmo Super Bowl.

KC has a prolific offense, and that matchup against Baylor's stacked defense is going to be intriguing.

Baylor has held every opponent besides McCallie to 17 points or fewer. KC QB Kaden Martin might test the Red Raiders' secondary, but Martin can't just rely on a strong arm as Baylor will punish you for being off-target on throws.

McCallie QB DeAngelo Hardy was 16-21 passing with zero interceptions against Baylor, while WR Eric Rivers had 200 yards receiving. McCallie had to lean on its passing game to beat the Red Raiders, and KC would almost surely have to do the same. But it won't be easy.

There is a certain irony to Brentwood Academy potentially needing Brentwood High to beat Knox Catholic on 10/25 for BA to be able to catch up with KC in the non-region loss column.

It might not be this season, but at some point there will be a three-way tie (three teams at 2-3 in a region, each with a 1-1 record against the other two teams) where one school misses the playoffs because they lost more non-region games than the other two schools.

Great analysis. I don’t see catholic stopping Baylor but I also see catholic having some success running with that big offensive line. I’m going to go Baylor 42 Catholic 31. 

5 minutes ago, FootballFan51 said:

What is the name of the freshman stud RB at Baylor? Is he having a good year? 

Number 34. I forget his name right now. He’s gonna be really good. But of course Elijah is outshining everyoneright now and he doesn’t get a lot of reps in league play. But you can tell he’s a player when he gets his chances. 

11 hours ago, Spartan4Life said:

Great analysis. I don’t see catholic stopping Baylor but I also see catholic having some success running with that big offensive line. I’m going to go Baylor 42 Catholic 31. 

Final Baylor 34 Catholic 20.

Too much Noah Martin and Elijah Howard. I’m sure Boog will discount this win as well. 

9 minutes ago, IrishBBall said:

Were you at the game?

I was. I can break it down a little more. 

Second play of the game Noah Martin intercepts a pass and two plays later Elijah Howard scored with one of his signature dead leg moves. PAT no good.

Catholic responded and took the lead 7-6  their only lead of the game. 

Baylor scored on their next two possession and held Catholic to two field goals  20-13 at half.

Catholic won the 3rd quarter. Holding Baylor offense without a single point. Catholic drew even 20-20 In what seemed for a while and offense Baylor could not stop from rushing The Ball. However a big fourth quarter from Elijah and another Interception by Martin. Put it to bed. Neyland Jean had a good game throwing and running. Converting on key fourth downs when Baylor had to have it. 

People were saying Catholic is now out of the playoffs but I’m not sure that’s true if BA loses another they would have the tie breaker. 

3 hours ago, Spartan4Life said:

I was. I can break it down a little more. 

Second play of the game Noah Martin intercepts a pass and two plays later Elijah Howard scored with one of his signature dead leg moves. PAT no good.

Catholic responded and took the lead 7-6  their only lead of the game. 

Baylor scored on their next two possession and held Catholic to two field goals  20-13 at half.

Catholic won the 3rd quarter. Holding Baylor offense without a single point. Catholic drew even 20-20 In what seemed for a while and offense Baylor could not stop from rushing The Ball. However a big fourth quarter from Elijah and another Interception by Martin. Put it to bed. Neyland Jean had a good game throwing and running. Converting on key fourth downs when Baylor had to have it. 

People were saying Catholic is now out of the playoffs but I’m not sure that’s true if BA loses another they would have the tie breaker. 

What happened on the Catholic interception that was nullified? The announcers  never said what the penalty was. The flag was very late and I assumed we had done something after the interception.

Highlights:
https://wdef.com/2019/10/18/tdfn-knoxville-catholic-baylor/
https://newschannel9.com/sports/sideline-wrap-up/knox-catholic-vs-baylor

Newspaper story:
https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2019/oct/18/baylor-downs-recent-nemesknoxville-catholic/506195/

They were periodically giving score updates from that game over the PA at McCallie.

4 hours ago, Spartan4Life said:

Thanks for the details on Catholic vs. Baylor. I look forward to seeing Kaden Martin play in person. Funny enough, I saw Kaden's father, Tee Martin, play in person in mop-up time at the 1998 Orange Bowl in Tennessee's loss to Nebraska; that was Peyton Manning's final game with the Vols.

Of course, just one year later Tee was a national champion.

Catholic still has a good chance to make the playoffs thanks to the head-to-head tiebreaker over BA. They just need BA to lose at least one of their last two, as you noted. There are three teams contending for two spots.

Ensworth 2-1 (6-2) [BA, McCallie] (Beat KC)
BA 1-2 (5-3) [Ensworth, Baylor] (Lost to KC)
KC 1-3 (5-3) [FRHS] (Beat BA, lost to Ensworth)

There is a scenario where there could be a three-way tie at 2-3. If that happens, and if KC can beat 7-1 Brentwood High next week, KC would actually be the #3 seed in the East by virtue of having more overall wins.

What's more, Ensworth would lose the subsequent heads-up tie-breaker with BA in that scenario and miss the playoffs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IrishBBall said:

What happened on the Catholic interception that was nullified? The announcers  never said what the penalty was. The flag was very late and I assumed we had done something after the interception.

Two penalties against catholic. One was defensive holding and the other was roughing the passer. Baylor declined defensive holding and accepted roughing the passer.