AP CLASS 2A POLL OCT 14, 2019

Southtowner

1 hour ago, Tide21 said:

We aren’t traveling to Memphis to play and I’m pretty sure most “elite “ Memphis teams wouldn’t travel to Trenton.  No one wants to play in Memphis 

We aren't travelling to Memphis? 110 miles? That will definitely limit your competition.  There are tons of possible matchups within a 2-2.5 hr bus ride that could test Peabody and would likely do a two year deal. 5A or 6A Memphis schools, North MS public schools, Lausanne, MUS, Briarcrest, Christian Bros. Lots of schools are looking for marquee matchups. 

Union City wasn't scared to try a Kentucky powerhouse two years in a row. Take a page from Tyner - who scheduled Alcoa and Baylor. I don't see how the kids can even get up to practice against anyone since week one with that schedule. No true test until Cookeville. 

2 hours ago, Salem said:

Why would such a dominant team not want to challenge themselves in non-region games especially when the region is uncharacteristically down? There's no shortage of posts about how great this team is and will be in the future but their non-region games over the next two seasons will be:

Milan 4-3

Sheffield 1-7

South Side 2-5

Obion Co.  1-7

Washington 4-4

They have no problem scheduling games with mediocre Memphis teams. Why not an elite Memphis or North MS matchup? Huntingdon or Lake County would have been excellent tests this season to give the team some statewide attention. Meigs County went out of region for two top 1A  teams. Fairley and Haywood County both tried MS teams for a challenge. 

When it's a given that your the top in 2A, give the kids a challenge. 

You make some good points. But I think you’re discrediting you’re post a little but when you include Milan in there. Milan is a lot better than their record indicates. Keep in mind they lost by 1 point to one of the best 1A teams in the state in Huntingdon & just defeated the #2 team in 3A in Covington. They play a tremendously difficult schedule & their record shows that. But they are still a quality opponent. Peabody put South Side on the schedule this year not knowing what they would ultimately be this year. South Side had back to back runs to the quarterfinals the past 2 years in 4A if I’m not mistaken. I know they made it that far one of the last 2 years so correct me if I’m wrong on the other. Peabody wasn’t able to schedule either Lake Co or Huntingdon I believe because of scheduling conflicts. Hard to play when you’re in different regions & have to work around set region games. I think they could’ve replaced one of those Memphis schools with someone like Westview or even tried to play a Covington but at the same time, why take a risk at playing up & risk injury to your key players in a game that has no implications in the post season? The goal is to be playing in Cookeville right? Don’t you want your best players healthy & participating through the playoffs to get you to that point? With the expectations Peabody has & the players they bring back, I think it would be ignorant to not try & take care of your team to get you to December. I do understand the argument that playing those tough opponents help you in the playoffs when you have a test & have to overcome adversity, but you must keep in mind this Peabody team is loaded with a senior class that have mostly started since their sophomore year. The QB is a 3 year starter who has played in big time games & made big times plays when they needed to be made. Same for the RB & a few WRs. Those guys also played defense so they have the experience there. The key this season for Peabody is to better their craft & limit the injuries going into November. Having said all of that, I do still agree with some of the points you make. 

1 minute ago, lakecounty1968 said:

Now, I am not saying Peabody was scared to play Lake County because they are not. I just know for a fact that neither school reached out to one another.

That’s why I say interesting! I know you not saying they are scared to play you I just wonder why someone would post y’all wouldn’t play them. Something doesn’t add up here!?! 

4 minutes ago, FightingBlue0 said:

You make some good points. But I think you’re discrediting you’re post a little but when you include Milan in there. Milan is a lot better than their record indicates. Keep in mind they lost by 1 point to one of the best 1A teams in the state in Huntingdon & just defeated the #2 team in 3A in Covington. They play a tremendously difficult schedule & their record shows that. But they are still a quality opponent. Peabody put South Side on the schedule this year not knowing what they would ultimately be this year. South Side had back to back runs to the quarterfinals the past 2 years in 4A if I’m not mistaken. I know they made it that far one of the last 2 years so correct me if I’m wrong on the other. Peabody wasn’t able to schedule either Lake Co or Huntingdon I believe because of scheduling conflicts. Hard to play when you’re in different regions & have to work around set region games. I think they could’ve replaced one of those Memphis schools with someone like Westview or even tried to play a Covington but at the same time, why take a risk at playing up & risk injury to your key players in a game that has no implications in the post season? The goal is to be playing in Cookeville right? Don’t you want your best players healthy & participating through the playoffs to get you to that point? With the expectations Peabody has & the players they bring back, I think it would be ignorant to not try & take care of your team to get you to December. I do understand the argument that playing those tough opponents help you in the playoffs when you have a test & have to overcome adversity, but you must keep in mind this Peabody team is loaded with a senior class that have mostly started since their sophomore year. The QB is a 3 year starter who has played in big time games & made big times plays when they needed to be made. Same for the RB & a few WRs. Those guys also played defense so they have the experience there. The key this season for Peabody is to better their craft & limit the injuries going into November. Having said all of that, I do still agree with some of the points you make. 

Good post and I agree with both of y’all.

Just now, vandyfan1 said:

That’s why I say interesting! I know you not saying they are scared to play you I just wonder why someone would post y’all wouldn’t play them. Something doesn’t add up here!?! 

I don't know that answer but like I said I know for a fact neither school reached out to each other. Believe when I say this I would know.

6 minutes ago, Salem said:

We aren't travelling to Memphis? 110 miles? That will definitely limit your competition.  There are tons of possible matchups within a 2-2.5 hr bus ride that could test Peabody and would likely do a two year deal. 5A or 6A Memphis schools, North MS public schools, Lausanne, MUS, Briarcrest, Christian Bros. Lots of schools are looking for marquee matchups. 

Union City wasn't scared to try a Kentucky powerhouse two years in a row. Take a page from Tyner - who scheduled Alcoa and Baylor. I don't see how the kids can even get up to practice against anyone since week one with that schedule. No true test until Cookeville. 

I will ask this though, what effect does this have? What is the fuss about? I don’t quite understand what point you’re trying to convey? Because at the end of the day Peabody has to play in class 2A come playoff time. We know Peabody is just about without a doubt the best team in 2A. Some would disagree but the majority would agree. So what is the point in playing 5A or 6A Memphis schools that mean ABSOLUTELY nothing in the grand scheme of things? 

12 minutes ago, Salem said:

Has nothing to do with distance. All I’m really going to say about Memphis. If you haven’t played memphis teams you wouldn’t understand. I will say the Memphis players and coaches are always great people. Is union city doing that now ?  If I remember correctly they ended up getting Injuries on almost every out of state game. 

5 minutes ago, FightingBlue0 said:

Milan is the bright spot on the schedule. I tried to include all the non region games and not cherry pick. Milan is the only game on the schedule where the outcome could remotely be in doubt until December. Kids want a challenge.

This team is supposed to be special. A juggernaut for the next several years. No better time than to do a home and away series with Briarcrest or Lausanne. Heck get Mayfield KY down there and get some TN revenge. A 6-1 Corinth MS team is 87 miles away. The competition was available but Sheffield and Washington were selected. The top 2A teams from the east are definitely iron sharpening iron.