Freedom Prep Forfeits?

CoachSonnenfelt

The Commercial Appeal: Freedom Prep football forfeits seven games

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/10/15/high-school-football-tssaa-playoff-contender-freedom-prep-forfeits/3987893002/

A Class 1A state title contender is being forced to forfeit seven games after using an ineligible player, according to a letter to the school from the TSSAA obtained by the USA Today Network-Tennessee.

Freedom Prep started the season 7-0 and had outscored its opponents 319-7. However, the TSSAA ruled Monday that the school used an ineligible player, forcing the program to forfeit all seven wins.

The school then beat B.T. Washington on Monday night 34-12 to improve to 1-7.

The player initially was ruled eligible by TSSAA, but the information provided by the school's administration was determined to be incorrect.

"The student was entered in the TSSAA Portal by Freedom Preparatory Academy as a student that, is attending your school because of (1) a rezoning of an existing school district, OR (2) rezoning due to a new school, OR (3) a change in bus routes that affect where the student attends school. This affirmation would have made him eligible, by rule, but was not correct," the letter states.

In a statement to The Commercial Appeal, the school said it plans to appeal and is "contesting the matter due to what we believe is a hardship case for one of our students."

The Eagles are now 1-5 in Region 8-1A with two league games left and will miss the playoffs. At least four schools in the region are guaranteed to win at least four games in league play. The top four teams from each region make the playoffs.

East and Middle College are 5-0 in region play. B.T. Washington is currently 4-3. MASE is 4-1.

The school also is being fined $100 for each game the ineligible student played in, totaling $700. It also has been asked to write a letter notifying the schools that the ineligible player competed against what happened.

According to TSSAA bylaws, the ineligible player will remain ineligible for twice the number of games he participated in while ineligible or the remainder of the season, whichever is shorter. With just two games left, the latter is more likely.

Greetings, my name is Khari

Memphis is a great place to be a high school sports reporter. The city has a wealth of young talent and rich stories waiting to be told. Please help us keep you informed with breaking news, compelling features, and video highlights by subscribing to The Commercial Appeal today.

Infogram logo

2 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Yep. If it was a hardship issue, it should have been addressed as such. Too late to change horses in mid stream... TSSAA rarely reverses it's self after passing judgement.

The FP Administration and their coaches just learned a hard lesson when it comes to eligibility and the TSSAA. I hate it for the student athletes on this current team. It kinda reminds of Melrose in 96'. Except the Melrose situation turned out to end well. This will not. 

This year is shot for them. 

Edited by kwc

3 hours ago, MayoBottomHermit said:

I hate it happened to the boys that were following the rules but the adults that weren’t deserve to get caught. 

Problem is that these boys are getting taught by the adults in question. Alot of lessons learned in football about life and hardship. I hope they are being taught right from wrong.

16 hours ago, Southtowner said:

We were talking not too long ago of the Signal Mnt issue.  

That was the player who started at Howard, left within a week. Went to Ft Oglethorpe, though he was apparently living in Brainerd. Was wearing a Cleveland HS jersey in a picture posted on Facebook, went to individual camps with Cleveland players, On͏e a brother, and appeared to be on the way to Cleveland. That didn’t work out. Declared a “hardship” and went to Signal even though his hardship match from Brainerd would have been Ooltewah. Signal supporters and coaches made it out to be The Blindside Part 2. Just needed one of the Country Club moms to get involved and there could have been a Lifetime movie. What could go wrong, wait, other schools were at fault. 

13 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

If they are going to have kids playing on Saturday, are they going to do so at Rhodes or JUCO?

We know it’s a fact that Freedom prep only had a football team for 3 years but in a few years they will have more kids with football scholarships and Lake county has ever had.  Most to 4 year university not JUCO.  Let’s not talk about the academic scholarships.  Don’t believe all the stereotypes about Memphis.  Yes we don’t have a few bad apples but you can’t name many Memphis programs that actually cheated.

15 minutes ago, Mtown38 said:

We know it’s a fact that Freedom prep only had a football team for 3 years but in a few years they will have more kids with football scholarships and Lake county has ever had.  Most to 4 year university not JUCO.  Let’s not talk about the academic scholarships.  Don’t believe all the stereotypes about Memphis.  Yes we don’t have a few bad apples but you can’t name many Memphis programs that actually cheated.

I can name one. Freedom Prep 

15 minutes ago, Mtown38 said:

It’s a shame we couldn’t hang 70 on them...In 3 games vs prep our punter never got dressed