Freedom Prep Forfeits?

CoachSonnenfelt

I blame part of it on all the private schools.  It leaves the inner city schools the ones not so fortunate.  Some are brought on by themselves, and some just couldn’t catch a break and became stuck in the system.  It can’t be fixed overnight.  I’ve seen some inner cities takes 20 years to get unstuck.  All of any money should be slowly allocated and build it up little by little.  Don’t just build high rises or condos, build what attracts the folks already there and little by little others from out of town or from the suburbs.  My mom grew up in Memphis but the family moved when she was young.  My uncle later moved back and lived for 30+ years, so I know a little bit about Memphis over the years.  Point is, if the suits would donate their money to inner city schools instead of their other ridiculous charities, then maybe just maybe those kids would have better opportunities than just sports.  

35 minutes ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

I blame part of it on all the private schools.  It leaves the inner city schools the ones not so fortunate.  Some are brought on by themselves, and some just couldn’t catch a break and became stuck in the system.  It can’t be fixed overnight.  I’ve seen some inner cities takes 20 years to get unstuck.  All of any money should be slowly allocated and build it up little by little.  Don’t just build high rises or condos, build what attracts the folks already there and little by little others from out of town or from the suburbs.  My mom grew up in Memphis but the family moved when she was young.  My uncle later moved back and lived for 30+ years, so I know a little bit about Memphis over the years.  Point is, if the suits would donate their money to inner city schools instead of their other ridiculous charities, then maybe just maybe those kids would have better opportunities than just sports.  

It's all about the intent of those in control Mike... Memphis City ( now defunct ) was allocated around 500 million dollars in 2010-2011 from Race To The Top and Bill Gates combined... it only took two years for them to be bankrupt. Our system got a bag of peanuts out of the deal and we raised GPA, graduation rates, ACT scores, and college enrollment percentages.

1 hour ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

I was waiting on someone to try and put blame on the private schools for the mess in Memphis. Didn't think it would come from one of the longtime posters on Coach T though. Also suits as you call them, can donate money to whatever they want to. After all it is their money. You must also remember that these suits also pay ridiculous amounts of property taxes which go to fund the public schools. Thus these suits are paying their way. Your comment was not exactly well-thought-out and is disappointing from a person of your stature on Coach T.

The bottom line is a coach and a school played an ineligible player and they got caught. It is sad that the kids that did right have to pay the price but there is no other way to get around it. A school and a player were wrong. That is all that needs to be discussed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Havengrad04 said:

I really hate this for those kids. This is 100% on the coach. I know alot of people are glad this happened but this is a horrible break for the 99% of the kids who did right and worked hard to get to where there were this year. This team was foreal and was gonna upset a lot of people on the field. I don’t really see how this could’ve been a mistake tho since the other 3 kids transferred out of state to specifically avoid this from happening. Does anyone have any details on why this student was assumed to be eligible or how it was just recently discovered? 

Speaking of one of the five kids who transferred to West Memphis.

Four-star lineman Chris Morris, Arkansas' top prospect, commits to Texas A&M

Khari Thompson, Memphis Commercial AppealPublished 9:07 a.m. CT Oct. 16, 2019 | Updated 10:13 a.m. CT Oct. 16, 2019

Four-star offensive lineman Chris Morris committed to Texas A&M, he announced Wednesday on Twitter. He picked the Aggies over Alabama, Oklahoma and Tennessee.

The announcement comes five days after Morris' official visit to Texas A&M. He took an official visit to Tennessee on June 21. 

“I would have to say my second school was OU," Morris said. "I didn’t get a chance to take my official visit there. I visited maybe once or twice but its all about building relationships and I felt that Texas A&M built a better relationship." 

Morris said he felt a strong connection with Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher. 

"He’s like a coach, mentor, almost a dad figure. I just feel his vibe and I think he’s the best coach for me in this position and moving up in life," Morris said. 

The 6-foot-4, 287 pound senior is the top college football prospect in Arkansas for the Class of 2020, and the No. 3 offensive-guard in the country according to the 247Sports composite. He's the top-rated offensive line prospect in the Aggies' recruiting class, which is ranked No. 7 nationally and No. 4 in the SEC. 

Morris, who attended Freedom Prep last year, led the Eagles to their first Class 1A state quarterfinal appearance and didn't give up a sack all season. 

He was ruled ineligible by the TSSAA this summer when he transferred to Central despite moving within the school's zone because Freedom Prep's zone is considered citywide.

Because of this, the No. 1 prospect on the inaugural Commercial Appeal Dandy Dozen list, transferred to West Memphis (Arkansas) where he is playing this season. The Blue Devils are 2-4. 

Morris said that he plans to sign during the early period in December and enroll in college early. 

20 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

I was waiting on someone to try and put blame on the private schools for the mess in Memphis. Didn't think it would come from one of the longtime posters on Coach T though. Also suits as you call them, can donate money to whatever they want to. After all it is their money. You must also remember that these suits also pay ridiculous amounts of property taxes which go to fund the public schools. Thus these suits are paying their way. Your comment was not exactly well-thought-out and is disappointing from a person of your stature on Coach T.

The bottom line is a coach and a school played an ineligible player and they got caught. It is sad that the kids that did right have to pay the price but there is no other way to get around it. A school and a player were wrong. That is all that needs to be discussed.

Just because I post on Coacht doesn’t mean I always have the right answers.  I have opinion Some are well thought out, some are not.  You are right about the bottom line, but this thread took a turn into a deeper problem.  Cheating didn’t have to happen there, it could have been one of the most prestigious schools in the country.  Plus I said “part of” not entirely because of private schools.  There is a WHOLE lot more that is needed for funding of public schools besides property taxes.  Just saying, let’s be a part of the solution not the problem.   What are you doing to help them? 

2 hours ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

Just because I post on Coacht doesn’t mean I always have the right answers.  I have opinion Some are well thought out, some are not.  You are right about the bottom line, but this thread took a turn into a deeper problem.  Cheating didn’t have to happen there, it could have been one of the most prestigious schools in the country.  Plus I said “part of” not entirely because of private schools.  There is a WHOLE lot more that is needed for funding of public schools besides property taxes.  Just saying, let’s be a part of the solution not the problem.   What are you doing to help them? 

Let me address your post. First you said private schools were part of the problem. Why is that? The reason private schools are becoming more prevalent in Shelby county is because of the collapsing condition of the public schools. The private schools didn't bring this on in any way shape or form. The public schools did it to themselves. What other funding for public schools is needed besides property taxes? Tradertwo eloquently and factually explained why throwing tons of money at the Shelby County School System is not resulted in better schools. You also ask what am I doing to help. Why should I help the public school system in Shelby County? I don't live there and I do not enter the County unless absolutely necessary. I live in Jackson Tennessee and I pay property taxes which fund the bulk of  the money for our Public Schools. I do not even have a child in the system. The cost per child ratio is very high in Madison County and we are not receiving resulting higher test scores. The moral of the story is that simply throwing money at the issue will not turn around and fix the problem. While you took time to bash private schools let's also remember that the parents of private school students also pay property taxes to fund the public school system in addition to paying tuition for their children to attend private school. You also seem to try and say that I am part of the problem for the lack of quality of public schools. I would love for you to explain that. As I live in Madison County, it is not my duty to help fix a broken down rust-bucket school system like the one in Shelby County. If you want to improve that dumpster fire of a school system, you must look from within. Rebuild those schools from the inside out. Better public and neighborhood Pride would be a good start. Many mothers and fathers in Memphis need to start worrying more about their kids and less about where they're going to get their next beer, cigarettes, or lottery tickets. The moral to my rant is don't expect me as an outsider to help fix a broken down Memphis school system repairs must start from within.

5 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

Let me address your post. First you said private schools were part of the problem. Why is that? The reason private schools are becoming more prevalent in Shelby county is because of the collapsing condition of the public schools. The private schools didn't bring this on in any way shape or form. The public schools did it to themselves. What other funding for public schools is needed besides property taxes? Tradertwo eloquently and factually explained why throwing tons of money at the Shelby County School System is not resulted in better schools. You also ask what am I doing to help. Why should I help the public school system in Shelby County? I don't live there and I do not enter the County unless absolutely necessary. I live in Jackson Tennessee and I pay property taxes which fund the bulk of  the money for our Public Schools. I do not even have a child in the system. The cost per child ratio is very high in Madison County and we are not receiving resulting higher test scores. The moral of the story is that simply throwing money at the issue will not turn around and fix the problem. While you took time to bash private schools let's also remember that the parents of private school students also pay property taxes to fund the public school system in addition to paying tuition for their children to attend private school. You also seem to try and say that I am part of the problem for the lack of quality of public schools. I would love for you to explain that. As I live in Madison County, it is not my duty to help fix a broken down rust-bucket school system like the one in Shelby County. If you want to improve that dumpster fire of a school system, you must look from within. Rebuild those schools from the inside out. Better public and neighborhood Pride would be a good start. Many mothers and fathers in Memphis need to start worrying more about their kids and less about where they're going to get their next beer, cigarettes, or lottery tickets. The moral to my rant is don't expect me as an outsider to help fix a broken down Memphis school system repairs must start from within.

Hey Reitz. I agree with a lot of what you said. But disagree with one thing. You said the repairs must start from within. And I feel it is the opposite. Most of the time you have good administrators and teachers that are working hard and doing everything they can to point the ship in the right direction. Problem is that what takes place in the 16 hours kids spend per day out of school more greatly influences them than what goes on for 8 hours in school. Fixing the problem will only happen when parents decide to do their job and ensure the kids do the right thing and that starts away from school. 

31 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Hey Reitz. I agree with a lot of what you said. But disagree with one thing. You said the repairs must start from within. And I feel it is the opposite. Most of the time you have good administrators and teachers that are working hard and doing everything they can to point the ship in the right direction. Problem is that what takes place in the 16 hours kids spend per day out of school more greatly influences them than what goes on for 8 hours in school. Fixing the problem will only happen when parents decide to do their job and ensure the kids do the right thing and that starts away from school. 

As a former educator, I agree 100%.

2 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Good post.

3 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

If I am reading things correctly you disagree with my point when I said that fixing the problem must come from within. I believe that you think I meant that the problem must be fixed by teachers and administrators of the schools. While that is true to an extent, when I said the problem must be fixed from within, I meant that had to start in each individual household in Shelby County with parents of a child doing the right thing. While I set it slightly different. We are on the same page

44 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

If I am reading things correctly you disagree with my point when I said that fixing the problem must come from within. I believe that you think I meant that the problem must be fixed by teachers and administrators of the schools. While that is true to an extent, when I said the problem must be fixed from within, I meant that had to start in each individual household in Shelby County with parents of a child doing the right thing. While I set it slightly different. We are on the same page

Gotcha :thumb: