Haywood County boys basketball

ReitzFan

18 hours ago, warhawk said:

Roster has been dwindling over last several weeks.   Coach Chatman is a Tomcat and will have them ready to go with a full roster very soon.  

If it is true that Simmons was let go because of a dwindling roster over the last few weeks, my question would be exactly WHY was the roster dwindling?

My guess would be that the roster was dwindling because the players could not take Coach Simmons intensity and demand to work hard.  So what does admin do, fire the one guy who will hold them accountable in their life and show them that when things in life get to hard to just quit and if enough of you will quit then we will just fire the coach so you can come back and still play. It will be an absolute embarrassment if they let the kids that quit come back and play after a coaching change, if the reason they quit was because he pushed them to be their best. I have watched Coach Simmons from a distance and I know he is a good coach.  You don't do what he did at USJ and make the second round of the Double A region at Haywood if he wasn't able to coach. To me this sounds like the new culture issue that society is trying to tell these kids that if you don't like something just complain and quit and we will make it easier on you so everyone can get a trophy. 

Now, if there are other reasons for his firing that they haven't put in their press release then I will resend the comments above and apologize, but to me this is nothing more than the Administrators not backing their head coach and allowing the kids to get their way because they are too soft and don't want to be pushed.  #rantover

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 8:52 AM, WestTennRaider said:

My guess would be that the roster was dwindling because the players could not take Coach Simmons intensity and demand to work hard.  So what does admin do, fire the one guy who will hold them accountable in their life and show them that when things in life get to hard to just quit and if enough of you will quit then we will just fire the coach so you can come back and still play. It will be an absolute embarrassment if they let the kids that quit come back and play after a coaching change, if the reason they quit was because he pushed them to be their best. I have watched Coach Simmons from a distance and I know he is a good coach.  You don't do what he did at USJ and make the second round of the Double A region at Haywood if he wasn't able to coach. To me this sounds like the new culture issue that society is trying to tell these kids that if you don't like something just complain and quit and we will make it easier on you so everyone can get a trophy. 

Now, if there are other reasons for his firing that they haven't put in their press release then I will resend the comments above and apologize, but to me this is nothing more than the Administrators not backing their head coach and allowing the kids to get their way because they are too soft and don't want to be pushed.  #rantover

I don't have any first hand knowledge as to the reasons why Coach Simmons was relieved of his coaching duties.  But from what little I know, I would say you are absolutely correct, and as embarrassing as it will be,  I can assure you that all of the players who quit will be let back on the team.  This situation reminds me a lot of what Humboldt did to their football coach, Dan Bland, a few years ago. 

On 10/16/2019 at 1:55 PM, ReitzFan said:

If it is true that Simmons was let go because of a dwindling roster over the last few weeks, my question would be exactly WHY was the roster dwindling?

Rosters dwindle for one reason. Kids are leaving the program. Why? Only the kids can answer that question.

In my experience as a player and a coach. Kids quit due to outside obligations, want to specialize in one sport or other activity, or don't like the coach (being held accountable or treatment)

When I played we had kids walking our halls that were better players than me but they didn't want to come to practice or be coached. 

So I would theorize that either the kids didn't like the structure or treatment they were getting from the coach.

Edited by warmachine7954

What He said!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2019 at 9:24 AM, WhereYouAt said:

What He said!!!

U can't coach and call your players B''ch that is why he is no longer the coach these kids are use being pushed hard Coach Kendall Dancy was hard on them before he went to MILAN

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2019 at 12:28 PM, Salami said:

U can't coach and call your players B''ch that is why he is no longer the coach these kids are use being pushed hard Coach Kendall Dancy was hard on them before he went to MILAN

This brings an entire new element into the conversation. So he was relieved for his conduct. then why don't the school system say that instead of we don't have a lot of freshman playing and some guys quit the team. Big difference. 

• 2 weeks later...