The Ridger’s @ Pal- Rivalry Thursday game

SweetScience

Gonna be a tall task for the Wildcats to go into Pal and snatch a Vic-tree, but we have really improved as the season has gone along. Still, Powell is a great team and I do expect them to win, but I hope we can make a game of it. I believe OR leads the overall series 6-2 dating back to 2009, which was their 1st meeting, I think? Somebody correct me if I’m wrong. Should be a good Rivalry Thursday game.

Edited by SweetScience

Yep.  Pretty amazing that these two schools, which are about 10 miles apart as the crow flies, never played varsity football until  2009.  They have been in the same district for all other sports for several decades, now, but they never played football until 2009. 

Edited by HTV
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HTV said:

Yep.  Pretty amazing that these two schools, which are about 10 miles apart as the crow flies, never played varsity football until  2009.  

It is crazy. The year I played I do remember us playing them in a scrimmage though, and there was a pretty darn good QB/CB? (I think) named Matt Lowe who we played against. :thumb:

2 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

It is crazy. The year I played I do remember us playing them in a scrimmage though, and there was a pretty darn good QB/CB? (I think) named Matt Lowe who we played against. :thumb:

Yeah, he was pretty good.  

Did you know that Davy Gillum started out at Powell before leaving before the season began?  Think about how good Pal could have been with both Lowe and Gillum in the backfield.  

15 minutes ago, HTV said:

Yeah, he was pretty good.  

Did you know that Davy Gillum started out at Powell before leaving before the season began?  Think about how good Pal could have been with both Lowe and Gillum in the backfield.  

Wow, didn’t know that. Isn’t Davey originally a Campbell County boy? I remember me and dad went to the OR state championship game in 1991 and Pal made it that year too against Brentwood Academy. Unfortunately, Pal got beaten pretty bad, but I do remember watching the late great Rudy Stinson for Powell play. Good memories.

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

Wow, didn’t know that. Isn’t Davey originally a Campbell County boy? I remember me and dad went to the OR state championship game in 1991 and Pal made it that year too against Brentwood Academy. Unfortunately, Pal got beaten pretty bad, but I do remember watching the late great Rudy Stinson for Powell play. Good memories.

Yep.  Powell has played for a state championship twice in football - that 1991 game where Brentwood Academy destroyed them 49-0 and then in 2011 when they lost the heart breaker to Henry County 17-14 after Randall Dunlap made an incredible play by stripping Dustin McPhetridge of the football when Powell was on the doorstep of taking the lead with under 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter.  

As I understand it, DG was a CC kid originally, but ended up at AC after leaving Powell.  And keep in mind that in those days the transfer and eligibility rules were pretty much zero, so there was nothing against the rules about his starting practice at Powell and then going to AC before classes began.  That was a widespread practice statewide in that day.  

Edited by HTV
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Pal has a pretty good tradition in football. I’ve come to know former Powell great Lee Smith pretty good working at the airport in Knoxville. He comes through there quite a bit during the off-season. He’s a good fella.

Yeah, Lee's Dad, Daryl was a very good friend and Lee played with my son at Powell.  Couldn't be any more happy to see the way that Lee has turned his life around and become not only a 10 year NFL veteran, but also a great husband, Dad, and citizen.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HTV said:

Yep.  Pretty amazing that these two schools, which are about 10 miles apart as the crow flies, never played varsity football until  2009.  They have been in the same district for all other sports for several decades, now, but they never played football until 2009. 

Wow didn’t know that , that’s hard to believe