Science Hill @ Dobyns-Bennett (Region 1 Championship)

DBKPT93

Big rivalry with conference championship on the line! 
If DB wins, they win Region 1-6A outright. 
If Science Hill wins, they will have to beat Bearden the week after/Farragut will need to lose to either HVA or Jeff County. 

A lot in favor of the Tribe to win this one. I don’t think it will be easy though. SH has a very powerful passing game with some great athletes at WR. DB is going to have to cover well and get the QB off of his spot to throw off his rhythm. Hopefully the Tribe offense continues to take what the Defense is giving them and score points. 

Tribe by 2+ Touchdowns

1 hour ago, DBKPT93 said:

If Science Hill wins, they will have to beat Bearden the week after/Farragut will need to lose to either HVA or Jeff County. 

A lot in favor of the Tribe to win this one. I don’t think it will be easy though. SH has a very powerful passing game with some great athletes at WR. DB is going to have to cover well and get the QB off of his spot to throw off his rhythm. Hopefully the Tribe offense continues to take what the Defense is giving them and score points. 

Tribe by 2+ Touchdowns

DB has improved a little in pass coverage in that occasionally they have a receiver covered. But it still remains that DB's pass defense is in putting pressure on the quarterback. That's pretty much it. Defensive backs are usually beat on most pass plays. And I'm sure the entire Science Hill coaching staff was scouting the MW game last night and they noticed the success they had with the short quick passes. The Science Hill line, QB, and receivers are light years better than MW has. Add in the mistakes that DB will obviously be making and this game could go either way. Having said all this my main worry would be that this coaching staff would go out and try to run a clock running type of offense to Keep Science Hill's offense off the field. This is the old Clark mindset of coaching not to lose. Which causes you to lose every time. Despite being weak on pass defense DB needs to use all their strengths and play to win from here on out.

2 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

DB has improved a little in pass coverage in that occasionally they have a receiver covered. But it still remains that DB's pass defense is in putting pressure on the quarterback. That's pretty much it. Defensive backs are usually beat on most pass plays. And I'm sure the entire Science Hill coaching staff was scouting the MW game last night and they noticed the success they had with the short quick passes. The Science Hill line, QB, and receivers are light years better than MW has. Add in the mistakes that DB will obviously be making and this game could go either way. Having said all this my main worry would be that this coaching staff would go out and try to run a clock running type of offense to Keep Science Hill's offense off the field. This is the old Clark mindset of coaching not to lose. Which causes you to lose every time. Despite being weak on pass defense DB needs to use all their strengths and play to win from here on out.

Sometimes the best pass defense is a pass rush. All year there have been times where it wouldn’t have mattered if a team had Julio Jones running wide open, the QB has been running for his life and can’t set his feet and throw which is helpful when your weakness is in the defensive backfield. Just like when the Broncos won SB50 their DBs were good, but the DL kept pressure on Brady and Newton so they couldn’t get the ball to their playmakers. 
Jet Harris and Jackson Martin have been absolute terrors off of the edge and that’s part of the reason teams can’t get a rhythm in the pass game. 

Also Waco, has this coaching staff shown a point in time this year where they are gonna play Clark style running clock offense? If they have I haven’t seen it. I think this staff has done a great job keeping their tempo consistent and attacking the opponents weakness on D. Part of the reason we are averaging 38 a game. 

Not trying to argue or anything just giving my input as an outsider who doesn’t post very often, but I have been to every game this year. 

37 minutes ago, DBKPT93 said:

Sometimes the best pass defense is a pass rush. All year there have been times where it wouldn’t have mattered if a team had Julio Jones running wide open, the QB has been running for his life and can’t set his feet and throw which is helpful when your weakness is in the defensive backfield. Just like when the Broncos won SB50 their DBs were good, but the DL kept pressure on Brady and Newton so they couldn’t get the ball to their playmakers. 
Jet Harris and Jackson Martin have been absolute terrors off of the edge and that’s part of the reason teams can’t get a rhythm in the pass game. 

Also Waco, has this coaching staff shown a point in time this year where they are gonna play Clark style running clock offense? If they have I haven’t seen it. I think this staff has done a great job keeping their tempo consistent and attacking the opponents weakness on D. Part of the reason we are averaging 38 a game. 

Not trying to argue or anything just giving my input as an outsider who doesn’t post very often, but I have been to every game this year. 

I can't argue with anything you say. I guess I'm just snake bitten. I do know that starting this coming Friday night the competition gets better every game. That's means DB will be facing better coaching and better offensive lines as well as every other position on the field. At some point somebody is going to stop the pass rush and it will be up to defensive backs to cover their man. We haven't been able to do that yet. 

8 hours ago, DBKPT93 said:

Tribe by 2+ Touchdowns

Science Hill Plays a clean game and keeps turnovers even or Plus 1 or 2  the Hill wins in a squeaker. If we turn the ball over it will be a long night.

14 hours ago, BatmanDB said:

I like DB in this game but over the last few years you can throw out the records when these two meet.

Well, you're right - that is typically the case.

But this DB team and coaching staff is different.  I don't see The Hill doing any better than any other team so far.  Worse than some like Farragut.  They do have a better offense than some but our defense will choke their offense especially in the 2nd half when SH will wear out. 

DB by 3 TDs

2 hours ago, DBGRAD70 said:

Well, you're right - that is typically the case.

But this DB team and coaching staff is different.  I don't see The Hill doing any better than any other team so far.  Worse than some like Farragut.  They do have a better offense than some but our defense will choke their offense especially in the 2nd half when SH will wear out. 

DB by 3 TDs

You make a great point. DB this year has proven to be a great 2nd half team. I think it is a testament to their conditioning, that also being said SH usually isn’t the best conditioned team, I would be a betting man and say that this will be a difference maker come Friday night.