Science Hill @ Dobyns-Bennett (Region 1 Championship)

DBKPT93

1 hour ago, KennyPowers55 said:

They did what? 

It’s called “Take A Safety” when it is late in the game generally if you have a 1-2 score lead and want to take a bunch of time off of the clock on 4th down and you are backed up on your own endzone. The punter will catch the snap and run around as long as possible with the entire line just tackling the defense and at the last second the punter will run out of the back of the endzone for a safety, it obviously is a penalty, but since it is 4th down and time has already lost the opposing team will decline it and take the points. The main idea of this play is to obviously take time off of the clock, but it also flips the field, so instead of a team getting the ball back at it inside of the 50, they will be able to kick the ball off and make it a longer field for the team to go down and score. Every college team in the country has it in their arsenal, but the situation is generally rare so it is hardly ever seen. It’s a strategic move that has a good amount of risk and it didn’t pan out for DB in that game against McMinn County(which I agree with Batman, they were light years better than them, it shouldn’t have been close)

Just a bit of background about that play from 11 years ago. 

Edited by DBKPT93

4 minutes ago, bounder said:

Old coaches saying "when you do something like that 3 things can happen and 2 of them are not good"!

If you remember, the Ravens did it against the 49ers in the Super Bowl in 2013 and didn’t give San Fran enough time to come back and it won the game for them. Like I said, there is a good amount of risk, just like in a lot of decisions in the game of football. 

39 minutes ago, DBKPT93 said:

It’s called “Take A Safety” when it is late in the game generally if you have a 1-2 score lead and want to take a bunch of time off of the clock on 4th down and you are backed up on your own endzone. The punter will catch the snap and run around as long as possible with the entire line just tackling the defense and at the last second the punter will run out of the back of the endzone for a safety, it obviously is a penalty, but since it is 4th down and time has already lost the opposing team will decline it and take the points. The main idea of this play is to obviously take time off of the clock, but it also flips the field, so instead of a team getting the ball back at it inside of the 50, they will be able to kick the ball off and make it a longer field for the team to go down and score. Every college team in the country has it in their arsenal, but the situation is generally rare so it is hardly ever seen. It’s a strategic move that has a good amount of risk and it didn’t pan out for DB in that game against McMinn County(which I agree with Batman, they were light years better than them, it shouldn’t have been close)

Just a bit of background about that play from 11 years ago. 

There's a good reason you never see anybody run that play. It's stupid beyond belief. It was a head coach desperation play. That night DB had a very comfortable lead at half time. But as we had seen many times before Clark came out of the locker room and right off the bat began to kill the clock with running plays up the middle and off tackle. Three and out after three and out. By the end of the third quarter McMinn had all the momentum and DB was just gazing at the clock. After that bone head play at the end DB lined up and kicked it straight to one of the best return men in the state that year and he just took it down the sideline untouched. Game over. The worst job of play calling I have ever seen at any level in my lifetime. You would have to want to lose a game to call a second half the way he did that night. No question.

38 minutes ago, DBKPT93 said:

If you remember, the Ravens did it against the 49ers in the Super Bowl in 2013 and didn’t give San Fran enough time to come back and it won the game for them. Like I said, there is a good amount of risk, just like in a lot of decisions in the game of football. 

I'm a Ravens fan and I don't recall that one. Thats the game where the lights went out, right? I remember Baltimore kept kicking field goals and SF scoring touchdowns in the second half. Then the Ravens with the goal line stand at the end of the game to win it. But it was a "party atmosphere" where I was watching. 

2 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

After that bone head play at the end DB lined up and kicked it straight to one of the best return men in the state that year and he just took it down the sideline untouched. Game over.

Yep, I was so stunned by that play that I totally forgot the end. The whole 2nd half was a bone head screw up.

My point was for two reasons.Besides the obvious that every coach is well aware of and knows what can happen ( especially ) if they were coaching ,playing or a young man in the stands that night. Number two is every player needs to play smart football and give his all but also understand that nobody on the other side will be shaking in their shoes just because DB has a great record.All that does is make them prepare harder and it also gets the attention of those really good teams as well.

Whenever these two teams play you can throw records out the window..DB can't look forward to Alcoa next week..if they can stop silly penalties they can easily win this game but you are what you are this late into the season...game will prob be close because of this..the only reason DB is undefeated is because of its defense..having coach Gaines has really helped our secondary and defense stops the run..with that being said I'm looking at a 28-7 kinda DB win...