Heritage high school

Distressedfan

11 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

We wouldn't be where we are today without him, I don't think he nor your AD are your problems. 

Your right and wrong. Yes he did have a big hand in getting the program out of the depression it was in but he also was one of those type coaches that wins with a big senior class and has to rebuild the following year. Guess he gave himself to much credit before leaving Maryville for the high paying presser packed job in Georgia after the 98 season only to return a few years later. When he took the job at Heritage I would be the first to admit he was what the program needed because a worthless AD at the time and a bunch of meddling parents ran that program right into the ground. He ran most of them off and cleaned house like a good coach should. I think his biggest problem is a disconnect with getting some of the kids out for football and civil war with coaches from other sports out there wanting to hog their players to play one sport only. I've had good friends in the know that think he still is the man but I watched the Heritage and Maryville game and prayed we wouldn't run up a score on them and look like another team locally.  I'll be dang if he didn't go for  first downs deep in his own territory only to hand the ball back to Maryville within crawling distance of a couple of touchdowns. My personal opinion is what worked twenty years ago don't now and the difference between Maryville and Heritage are a lot of people are involved in the feeder system and have been for sixty years and for some reason that has been another big failure for the program out there. I realize you may have played for him and like him very well but I played for Coach Wilson at Maryville and anyone of these old heads on here will tell you in a New York Second he was a great PR Man and could get the team he wanted. Hammontree is the very opposite and I see that as his biggest problem.

17 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

That's an HTV question there. Where is that guy at today anyways.

Been around.  Had to have another round of eye surgery a couple of weeks back, this time on both eyes, so I have been a bit slowed as of late.  Did get a chance to get out and see Floyd yesterday and get my shaggy mop cut.  

Co-ops are allowed where one school hasn't had a particular sport for the last 5 years.  Mostly co-op have been used where you have a public school that has all sports, and a smaller private that is a TSSAA member that doesn't.  But there are examples of public/public and private/private co-ops.  

But the rub is that to co-op the enrollments of both schools has to be added to come up with classification, so it really wouldn't be advantageous to Heritage if the Eagleton thing happens.  Adding the two together would likely keep them in 6A.  

4 minutes ago, HTV said:

Been around.  Had to have another round of eye surgery a couple of weeks back, this time on both eyes, so I have been a bit slowed as of late.  Did get a chance to get out and see Floyd yesterday and get my shaggy mop cut.  

Co-ops are allowed where one school hasn't had a particular sport for the last 5 years.  Mostly co-op have been used where you have a public school that has all sports, and a smaller private that is a TSSAA member that doesn't.  But there are examples of public/public and private/private co-ops.  

But the rub is that to co-op the enrollments of both schools has to be added to come up with classification, so it really wouldn't be advantageous to Heritage if the Eagleton thing happens.  Adding the two together would likely keep them in 6A.  

HTV, its my understanding that Pearl Cohn co-ops with MLK ( which has an enrollment of about 900 students). Some of my middle/west tn friends get real upset that PC is still allowed in 3A with the ability to co-op with a school that has 900 kids. Is their information incorrect or are my friends full of sour grapes?

4 minutes ago, Indian said:

Co-ops do not add to classification figures. 

6 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

HTV, its my understanding that Pearl Cohn co-ops with MLK ( which has an enrollment of about 900 students). Some of my middle/west tn friends get real upset that PC is still allowed in 3A with the ability to co-op with a school that has 900 kids. Is their information incorrect or are my friends full of sour grapes?

Yeah, since I originally posted I have seen conflicting info on co-ops and classification numbers.  

Here's the last thing I found on the MLK/Pearl Cohn thing: 

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/rules-regulations/tssaa-denies-request-to-alter-co-op-policy.html

Tom Kreager is probably the guy who needs to answer this question.  

I do know that co-oping is a bit of a gamble.  Back a few years ago Fulton co-oped with Berean Christian and got burned because of an issue with classes offered/taken and requirements by the TSSAA for eligibility.  Fulton ended up having to forfeit several games and dropped in seeding at playoff time because of playing an ineligible player that they thought was eligible.  

And all the kid did for Fulton was kick.  

12 minutes ago, Indian said:

Co-ops do not add to classification figures. 

5 minutes ago, HTV said:

Yeah, since I originally posted I have seen conflicting info on co-ops and classification numbers.  

Here's the last thing I found on the MLK/Pearl Cohn thing: 

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/rules-regulations/tssaa-denies-request-to-alter-co-op-policy.html

Tom Kreager is probably the guy who needs to answer this question.  

I do know that co-oping is a bit of a gamble.  Back a few years ago Fulton co-oped with Berean Christian and got burned because of an issue with classes offered/taken and requirements by the TSSAA for eligibility.  Fulton ended up having to forfeit several games and dropped in seeding at playoff time because of playing an ineligible player that they thought was eligible.  

And all the kid did for Fulton was kick.  

Interesting. I'm not very familiar with the co-op process. I would much rather Eagleton and Heritage have separate teams. Eagleton in 1A and Heritage in 4A or 5A, I think it would be better both communities and the kids. But if the loop hole is there, if Heritage was to drop to 4A enrollment, be allowed to co-op with Eagleton students and remain in 4A, it would help the program immensely.

Even if it were to count in the classification figures, it wouldn't necessarily move a team up. The school here allows a nearby Class A school to co-op for soccer, you're talking 3 on girls and no more than that probably on boys, if you included all 325 students for a combined enrollment the soccer class would still be Class AA. 

Edited by Indian

7 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Your right and wrong. Yes he did have a big hand in getting the program out of the depression it was in but he also was one of those type coaches that wins with a big senior class and has to rebuild the following year. Guess he gave himself to much credit before leaving Maryville for the high paying presser packed job in Georgia after the 98 season only to return a few years later. When he took the job at Heritage I would be the first to admit he was what the program needed because a worthless AD at the time and a bunch of meddling parents ran that program right into the ground. He ran most of them off and cleaned house like a good coach should. I think his biggest problem is a disconnect with getting some of the kids out for football and civil war with coaches from other sports out there wanting to hog their players to play one sport only. I've had good friends in the know that think he still is the man but I watched the Heritage and Maryville game and prayed we wouldn't run up a score on them and look like another team locally.  I'll be dang if he didn't go for  first downs deep in his own territory only to hand the ball back to Maryville within crawling distance of a couple of touchdowns. My personal opinion is what worked twenty years ago don't now and the difference between Maryville and Heritage are a lot of people are involved in the feeder system and have been for sixty years and for some reason that has been another big failure for the program out there. I realize you may have played for him and like him very well but I played for Coach Wilson at Maryville and anyone of these old heads on here will tell you in a New York Second he was a great PR Man and could get the team he wanted. Hammontree is the very opposite and I see that as his biggest problem.

I'm not comparing him to Coach Wilson, but he definitely laid the foundation for where it's at today. He didn't necessarily need a big Senior class to win games, but his best Senior classes were all developed over their entire 4 year careers under his watch with the '95, '97, and '98 teams being his best. Not to mention he kick started the weight program, the two platoon system, combining the Freshman/Varsity staff, etc.

I'll agree his style doesn't work for everyone, but as a product of his system I can tell you that I was way more prepared for the college athletic grind than most of my recruiting class thanks to his program.

Edited by JSamson7