Heritage high school

Distressedfan

Heritage's biggest problem is how TSSAA groups teams. Like Ohio and other states, in football Tennessee should have conferences rather than regions, where schools can group themselves together with other schools that share their goals and give their football opportunities to compete. Hypothetically, you'd have Knoxville area conference featuring Maryville, Alcoa, Catholic, Oak Ridge, Farragut, Bearden, and one or two others. The playoffs would still be grouped by class/enrollment, with the understanding that all or most of the teams playing in the "superconferences" across the state qualify for the playoffs in their respective classes. All the private schools would still earn automatic bids, as they now do. The Heritages of the state would hypothetically play smaller schools in conference, giving them a better opportunity to compete on the field (history proves this; they were much more competitive in 5A), but would be completing to qualify at-large for a 6A playoff spot. 

A few years ago the “Z-plan” had three classes in the regular season, basically matching basketball districts, then there was a split into six for the playoffs. It brought back rivalries and nearby matchups that had been lost, but coaches disliked not knowing who they’d be seeing in the playoffs until the final seconds of the final game in week 10. There was also concern on how some districts had larger teams with 1 or 2 smaller teams (example one 1A team would have to advance by beating four or five 2A teams). 

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

At the time I sure know I thought it was stupid but I was a lot younger then. Now since I'm older I can't remember seeing an Eagle at Lanier, a Falcon at Friendsville, an Indian at Walland, a Panther at Porter or a Tiger at Townsend. I do remember seeing a Bulldog at Everett though and know how they got their name back in the twenties when one of the players would bring his bulldog to practice so they changed the name from the Fighting Farmers to Bulldogs, true story.

lol. it's more about perception.  Think about it, image James Earl Jones voice "The Eagles, The Falcons, The Bulldogs., ." People didn't like it then. Has any other TN high school decided to become the Govenors since WB did 40 yrs ago?

On 10/27/2019 at 5:31 PM, 32hammer said:

lol. it's more about perception.  Think about it, image James Earl Jones voice "The Eagles, The Falcons, The Bulldogs., ." People didn't like it then. Has any other TN high school decided to become the Govenors since WB did 40 yrs ago?

No. And that is why it is great. It is unique. 

On 10/27/2019 at 5:57 AM, BarneySox2007 said:

91 no one hates WB and that is a fact from all the people that are from Maryville that are on here. You may not know this but the other night when they announced WB was ahead of Cleveland at the Maryville game there was a lot of applause from the crowd and I know all those people were hoping you all could pull it out. A lot of us get frustrated with Shad because of things we aren't normally used to and some of his coaching methods. Sometimes you have to have tough skin when heated debates pop up on here. I myself can get caught up in the moment and pop off with things I really shouldn't of said but I do want the county schools to be competitive and just want to shake some sense into some of the leaders that are hurting those programs. Your young and missed out on some of those things a some of us got the opportunity to live through when we had all those small schools and each community was very close and could keep a watchful eye out on it's own. At the time when all these schools were put together no one then could imagine all the problems that would come of it down the road especially in the football programs and the records speak for themselves. 

Barney,

I have to admit I'm torn and have trouble believing that. The reason being is all the talk this past offseason. Everyone was on here saying the sky is falling and everybody is unhappy at WB and will transfer out before it is all said and done.

Now we are on the verge of our best season in over a decade and may make the playoffs. If everything was so chaotic at WB, why is this team playing so hard? 

You know me. I have watched WB games consistently for a long time. I have been to every game this year and I have yet to see this team quit. We haven't always played well this year, but we have competed hard for four quarters every game. That was not the case last year or any other time in the last decade.

The point is things are moving in the right direction despite what all the chicken littles are whispering.

And all the negative talk on here and elsewhere hurts the program. I always imagine people like 32Hammer getting in parents' ears and saying all the stuff that is said on here and more. They say our coach is applying for every other job, the culture at WB is "toxic," and the players don't like the coach or school and don't care about winning.

You say that stuff enough and people will believe it whether it is true or not.

It ticks me off because I see a team that is very competitive and is a few players away from competing with just about anyone in 6A. And there about half a dozen good players at other local schools that could be playing at WB. You do the math. Don't you think WB would be a lot better with around half a dozen more good players?

The point is the negative propaganda on here and elsewhere hurts this program and is one of the reasons people leave and take their kids elsewhere.

The propaganda and negative rumors were so bad this past offseason that I got sucked in. I expected a rough year. But this team has really surprised me. All the rumors about impending disaster ended up being bs like a lot of the other stuff that is said on here.

55 minutes ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

Barney,

I have to admit I'm torn and have trouble believing that. The reason being is all the talk this past offseason. Everyone was on here saying the sky is falling and everybody is unhappy at WB and will transfer out before it is all said and done.

Now we are on the verge of our best season in over a decade and may make the playoffs. If everything was so chaotic at WB, why is this team playing so hard? 

You know me. I have watched WB games consistently for a long time. I have been to every game this year and I have yet to see this team quit. We haven't always played well this year, but we have competed hard for four quarters every game. That was not the case last year or any other time in the last decade.

The point is things are moving in the right direction despite what all the chicken littles are whispering.

And all the negative talk on here and elsewhere hurts the program. I always imagine people like 32Hammer getting in parents' ears and saying all the stuff that is said on here and more. They say our coach is applying for every other job, the culture at WB is "toxic," and the players don't like the coach or school and don't care about winning.

It ticks me off because I see a team that is very competitive and is a few players away from competing with just about anyone in 6A. And there about half a dozen good players at other local schools that could be playing at WB. You do the math. Don't you think WB would be a lot better with around half a dozen more good players?

The point is the negative propaganda on here and elsewhere hurts this program and is one of the reasons people leave and take their kids elsewhere.

The propaganda and negative rumors were so bad this past offseason that I got sucked in. I expected a rough year. But this team has really surprised me. All the rumors about impending disaster ended up being bs like a lot of the other stuff that is said on here.

I said before the season if they wanted it bad enough 6-4 was out there because I knew for a fact Mo. West, Sevier Co.,Lenior City and Heritage were all having problems. I also heard Ooltewah and Cleveland would be in a major rebuilding mode. I knew no way in the world you all had a chance against Bradley and Maryville. I also knew Elizabethton was sort of in a rebuilding mode but they have a winning program under Whiten and just reload like Maryville so I figured that one as a loss. The only team I had very little knowledge of was McMinn County but you all beat them last year so I even said 7 and 3 wasn't out of the question. Well your 3-6 and play a very weak 5A team you should beat this week and I will be pulling for Cleveland to see you all get in the playoffs. WB needs a real young coach that can identify with those 20 or 30 kids walking the halls down there that can play and would help the team and so does Heritage. You all have beat 3 teams this year that are 0-9, 1-8 and 3-6. You lost to 2 teams I thought you would beat that are 2-7 and 3-6 right now. The teams I thought you would lose to are 9-0, 9-0 and 7-2. The team I really didn't know about is 8-1. The team you play Friday is 1-8. Now can you see why I said 6-4 if they really wanted it bad enough but so much silly stuff happens down there that we're looking at 4-6 possibly and with the help from Cleveland for a playoff spot. If WB keeps winning one extra game a year they will eventually get there in the year 2025.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/27/2019 at 4:32 PM, abetee said:

Heritage's biggest problem is how TSSAA groups teams. Like Ohio and other states, in football Tennessee should have conferences rather than regions, where schools can group themselves together with other schools that share their goals and give their football opportunities to compete. Hypothetically, you'd have Knoxville area conference featuring Maryville, Alcoa, Catholic, Oak Ridge, Farragut, Bearden, and one or two others. The playoffs would still be grouped by class/enrollment, with the understanding that all or most of the teams playing in the "superconferences" across the state qualify for the playoffs in their respective classes. All the private schools would still earn automatic bids, as they now do. The Heritages of the state would hypothetically play smaller schools in conference, giving them a better opportunity to compete on the field (history proves this; they were much more competitive in 5A), but would be completing to qualify at-large for a 6A playoff spot. 

Tennessee does have "conferences".  They are called regions. 

And most regions in East Tennessee have no more than 6 or 7 teams, which leaves 4 or 5 opportunities to play those schools you are talking about sharing "goals" in non region games.  

But in reality, isn't every school's goal to play as deeply in to the playoffs as possible?  Or at least, it should be.  

14 hours ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

And all the negative talk on here and elsewhere hurts the program. I always imagine people like 32Hammer getting in parents' ears and saying all the stuff that is said on here and more.

I have people ask my opinion and I'll tell them. I make no secret about it.

Edited by 32hammer
content