Heritage high school

Distressedfan

Had a good conversation a couple of weeks ago with a long-timer Heritage guy and he had some interesting points. Not saying I agree or disagree, but I do regard his opinion highly.

1. Starts in middle school because the coach wants numbers, has too many 7th graders that should be playing on their midget team move up, not play, and they either get tired of being a tackling dummy or just standing there and quit never to play again.

2. Hammontree is Hammontree and just doesn't connect well with current generation kids. Says he's still a good coach, just very old school. Mentioned a couple of specific instances that probably did a lot of culture damage, but that in fairness he did learn from them and is trying to change.

3 hours ago, Solomon said:

Had a good conversation a couple of weeks ago with a long-timer Heritage guy and he had some interesting points. Not saying I agree or disagree, but I do regard his opinion highly.

1. Starts in middle school because the coach wants numbers, has too many 7th graders that should be playing on their midget team move up, not play, and they either get tired of being a tackling dummy or just standing there and quit never to play again.

2. Hammontree is Hammontree and just doesn't connect well with current generation kids. Says he's still a good coach, just very old school. Mentioned a couple of specific instances that probably did a lot of culture damage, but that in fairness he did learn from them and is trying to change.

I will be surprised if Heritage has a team in the next few years. They have no business on the football field playing Maryville or any other 6A team or actually even a 5A team. They take a humiliating loss ever single game they play to the point the kids aren't interested in it anymore.  I cut through the campus earlier this year on a shortcut home and saw the middle school out front at practice and there were 23 kids. If that is the future then it's not very bright and if they do open this Eagleton School it will take half of that away. I'm really starting to believe there may never be a cure for what has happened out there. When that place opened they were talking about being the world beaters out there with all those schools combined. This should be an example for counties like Roane that are looking at doing something similar and what will eventually happen. 

4 hours ago, Solomon said:

My son played with Hammontree's son at Maryville Little League a long time ago , probably 95 or 96 ... we had a great team and it was one of my son's most enjoyable teams that he was ever on . All the Parents got along great and everything about that team was fun ... Now I'm not a big talker at all , never have been , but I've never been around another " Parent " like Hammontree . He absolutely wanted nothing to do with any of us . he would sit off to himself and scowl at anybody who came close , I had Family that was playing for him at the time and actually did try to talk to him once , and boy did I get the Stink eye . Now I know a lot of coaches have an Us against the World type of personality , and sometimes kids will actually work harder for a guy like that who never gives out praise or a soft side , but Heritage needs someone who can Promote , reach out , and win over a community . Someone like Hammontree doesn't want to put up with all the hand shaking and baby kissing that it takes to win over a community . Especially a community that has been down for so long . I'm sorry if this hurts anyone's feelings and it's not meant to be an attack on Heritage . I'm actually thankful to Hammontree because he did get Maryville kick started to winning again and he brought discipline and toughness back to Maryville , plus he hired great coaches , Including Coach Quarles . Maryville had success before Hammontree , and Maryville was Starved to get back to winning , so a guy like Hammontree worked at a place that just needed pushed in the right direction ... Heritage needs a lot more than a Push . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pepvol said:

My son played with Hammontree's son at Maryville Little League a long time ago , probably 95 or 96 ... we had a great team and it was one of my son's most enjoyable teams that he was ever on . All the Parents got along great and everything about that team was fun ... Now I'm not a big talker at all , never have been , but I've never been around another " Parent " like Hammontree . He absolutely wanted nothing to do with any of us . he would sit off to himself and scowl at anybody who came close , I had Family that was playing for him at the time and actually did try to talk to him once , and boy did I get the Stink eye . Now I know a lot of coaches have an Us against the World type of personality , and sometimes kids will actually work harder for a guy like that who never gives out praise or a soft side , but Heritage needs someone who can Promote , reach out , and win over a community . Someone like Hammontree doesn't want to put up with all the hand shaking and baby kissing that it takes to win over a community . Especially a community that has been down for so long . I'm sorry if this hurts anyone's feelings and it's not meant to be an attack on Heritage . I'm actually thankful to Hammontree because he did get Maryville kick started to winning again and he brought discipline and toughness back to Maryville , plus he hired great coaches , Including Coach Quarles . Maryville had success before Hammontree , and Maryville was Starved to get back to winning , so a guy like Hammontree worked at a place that just needed pushed in the right direction ... Heritage needs a lot more than a Push . 

I don't want to bash this guy because he is a hard worker and does in his heart what he feels is right but he definitely missed the line you get in for personalities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I don't want to bash this guy because he is a hard worker and does in his heart what he feels is right but he definitely missed the line you get in for personalities.

He's a football coach's football coach.

Unfortunately now you have to be a football coach and part politician in a lot of places to drum up excitement.

• Like 1