PRE SEASON P4P HIGHSCHOOL RANKINGS

NotSurprised

1) GARRISON DENDY- SOPHOMORE 138 (RANKED 19TH BY FLO, WITH WINS OVER THE 4TH AND 5TH RANKED GUYS THIS PRESEASON)

2) HORST- SENIOR 132 (CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF HE'S EVER LOST A MATCH TO ANOTHER TENNESSEE KID?HOPE TO SEE HIM AND ISBELL THIS YEAR.

3) TREY MCDANIEL- JUNIOR 113 (CONSISTENT NATIONAL RESULTS)

4)ALEX WHITWORTH- JUNIOR 160 (ON THE ROAD TO 5 TITLES)

5) DAVID HARPER- SOPHOMORE 195 (FREAKY ATHLETIC UNDERCLASSMAN)

6) SKYLAR COFFEE- SENIOR HWT (RANKED 7TH BY FLO) I HOPE HIM AND HOWARD COMPETE AGAINST ONE ANOTHER SOMETIME THIS SEASON.

7) JAMES HOWARD- SOPHOMORE HWT (DOUBLE FARGO ALL AMERICAN IN CADETS THIS SUMMER) I GIVE THE EDGE TO COFFEE ON A WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY BASIS.

8) CHRISTIAN ISBELL-SENIOR 132 (TOUGH SENIOR)

HONORABLE MENTION NO ORDER

JACKSON BOND (10) BAYLOR

TREY BATES (11) BEECH

GARRET BOWERS (12) CBHS

CONNOR DUFFY (12) BAYLOR

BROOKS SACHARCZYK (12) BLACKMAN

HUNTER MASON (9) GREENVILLE - IN MY OPINION THE TOUGHEST KID IN THE FRESHMAN CLASS. I BELIEVE HE WILL BE HIGHSCHOOL READY IMMEDIATELY AND POTENTIALLY THE BEST WRESTLER IN A-AA THIS YEAR.

My main criteria are who I believe would actually win a match at the same weight class, and strength of wins/national placement. Thoughts?

Edited by NotSurprised
correction of grade

1 hour ago, hawks11 said:

I’d personally take Coffey over any of them. I think he has the highest ceiling in the state. It’s crazy how athletic he is for a HWT. Whichever college gets him will be really lucky. 

Think if Skylar has half the time wrestling these guys have where he might be talent-wise.  You are correct, his ceiling is high. 

19 hours ago, NotSurprised said:

1) GARRISON DENDY- SOPHOMORE 138 (RANKED 19TH BY FLO, WITH WINS OVER THE 4TH AND 5TH RANKED GUYS THIS PRESEASON)

2) HORST- SENIOR 132 (CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF HE'S EVER LOST A MATCH TO ANOTHER TENNESSEE KID?HOPE TO SEE HIM AND ISBELL THIS YEAR.

6) SKYLAR COFFEE- SENIOR HWT (RANKED 7TH BY FLO) I HOPE HIM AND HOWARD COMPETE AGAINST ONE ANOTHER SOMETIME THIS SEASON.

7) JAMES HOWARD- SOPHOMORE HWT (DOUBLE FARGO ALL AMERICAN IN CADETS THIS SUMMER) I GIVE THE EDGE TO COFFEE ON A WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY BASIS.

JACKSON BOND (10) BAYLOR

TREY BATES (11) BEECH

GARRET BOWERS (11) CBHS

CONNOR DUFFY (12) BAYLOR

HUNTER MASON (9) GREENVILLE - IN MY OPINION THE TOUGHEST KID IN THE FRESHMAN CLASS. I BELIEVE HE WILL BE HIGHSCHOOL READY IMMEDIATELY AND POTENTIALLY THE BEST WRESTLER IN A-AA THIS YEAR.

My main criteria are who I believe would actually win a match at the same weight class, and strength of wins/national placement. Thoughts?

I might argue the order of some in your top 7 but at first glance, generally agree.  I think Isbell is overrated.  He was a SC last year but 32 was one of the weaker classes.  He only beat Kerns by 2 in the finals.  There are other, more dominant wrestlers who should be in the PfP.  And Bowers keeps getting his brother's legacy vote.  

Lots of hype around Mason.  But we might never know how good he really is since he chose to compete in the small school division.  I'm never one to shy away from controversy so might as well go ahead and say it--with the occasional exception, 4 small school state championships equal 1 AAA championship.

Edited by ObserverW

15 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

I might argue the order of some in your top 7 but at first glance, generally agree.  I think Isbell is overrated.  He was a SC last year but 32 was one of the weaker classes.  He only beat Kerns by 2 in the finals.  There are other, more dominant wrestlers who should be in the PfP.  And Bowers keeps getting his brother's legacy vote.  

Lots of hype around Mason.  But we might never know how good he really is since he chose to compete in the small school division.  I'm never one to shy away from controversy so might as well go ahead and say it--with the occasional exception, 4 small school state championships equal 1 AAA championship.

Isbell is overrated? And you base that on one match, one score? Wow, ok. 

And help me here, how is it that  Bowers is living on his "brother's" reputation? 

24 minutes ago, PurpleWrestler said:

Isbell is overrated? And you base that on one match, one score? Wow, ok. 

And help me here, how is it that  Bowers is living on his "brother's" reputation? 

Just one example.  Not saying Isbell is bad but there are others in the state pfp who are better.  

My fault on Bowers.  I misread because he is listed as a Junior.  I actually think Garrett should be above Isbell.  

22 hours ago, NotSurprised said:

JACKSON BOND (10) BAYLOR

TREY BATES (11) BEECH

GARRET BOWERS (12) CBHS

CONNOR DUFFY (12) BAYLOR

Im always looked at coach t but never made an account, but I decided to make an account and give my top ten. I've pretty much agree with the people in you list I just have a different order. 

1) Garrison Dendy. Garrison had a very impressive freshmen season winning state and I think he went undefeated not to sure though. 3rd at prep nationals and a Fargo AA. ranked 19th by Flo 

2) Skyler Coffee. Won state placed at Virginia Beach and super 32.

3) Trey Mcdaniel. this spot was hard for me with him and Horst. I ended up going with Trey at 3rd because I feel he's done more At National events.

4) Noah Horst. not much to say on road to his 13th state title I think.

5) Alex whitworth. like you said on road for 5 state titles.

6) James Howard. Double Fargo all American and Virginia Beach champ.

7) David Harper. Finished 2nd at the grappler a few weeks ago, which is a very tuff nationl event.

8) Trey Bates. Trey didn't get to wrestle at state last year, but is still very good and will probably get his 2nd state title this year.

9) Garret Bowers. Very good and underrated wrestler.

10) Christian Isbell. Great wrestler but to inconsistent for me to put him above these other guys. I watch him one match and he looks great than next match he loses to someone he shouldn't.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, WrestlingIsLife160 said:

Im always looked at coach t but never made an account, but I decided to make an account and give my top ten. I've pretty much agree with the people in you list I just have a different order. 

1) Garrison Dendy. Garrison had a very impressive freshmen season winning state and I think he went undefeated not to sure though. 3rd at prep nationals and a Fargo AA. ranked 19th by Flo 

2) Skyler Coffee. Won state placed at Virginia Beach and super 32.

3) Trey Mcdaniel. this spot was hard for me with him and Horst. I ended up going with Trey at 3rd because I feel he's done more At National events.

4) Noah Horst. not much to say on road to his 13th state title I think.

5) Alex whitworth. like you said on road for 5 state titles.

6) James Howard. Double Fargo all American and Virginia Beach champ.

7) David Harper. Finished 2nd at the grappler a few weeks ago, which is a very tuff nationl event.

8) Trey Bates. Trey didn't get to wrestle at state last year, but is still very good and will probably get his 2nd state title this year.

9) Garret Bowers. Very good and underrated wrestler.

10) Christian Isbell. Great wrestler but to inconsistent for me to put him above these other guys. I watch him one match and he looks great than next match he loses to someone he shouldn't.

I think my list looked very similar to this at some point when I was making it. I moved guys around a ton before posting. I agree that Mcdaniel and Horst are extremely tough to choose between. I gave Horst, Mcdaniel, Whitworth, and Harper the nod over Skylar just based on wrestling IQ having watched a good bit of all their matches. Thanks for the input!

• Upvote 1

NotSurprised, I wasn’t going to comment on this since you are nothing more than a Baylor homer and this is clearly nothing more than an attempt to hype the Baylor kids.

Dendy is the highest ranked Baylor kid at #4. 

Clearly #1 is Skyler Coffey after his preformance at NHSCA 5th and Super 32 4th. He was the only TN HS wrestler to place at 32 and it’s By far the toughest High School Folkstyle tourney.   There is a reason why Flo has him ranked in the Top 10.  

2.Trae Mcdaniel- Trae would be number 1 if he competed in more National Tourneys. He AA at NHSCA 3rd this year and he is the only 2 Time Double Fargo AA we have wrestling in state. 4th and 8th this year. 

3. James Howard - NHSCA Champ and Double Fargo AA (3rd in Both)  As a first year cadet too. 

4. Garrison Dendy.  Garrison does have 2 big wins this preseason but he only AA at Fargo in Greco 3rd, didn’t place at 32, got 4th at National Prep.  While he is ranked 19th by Flo, he just doesn’t have the National results the top 3 do. 

5. David Harper - finishes 7th at Fargo two years ago, and 3rd this year.   Finished 7th at National Prep.   He did not place at Super32.  He is a talent that’s for sure but I’m not sure he even wins State this year now that Parker Peterson has moved up to 95

6. Gavin Cagle - you totally left him off your list.  AA at National Prep 8th and Nhsca 5th. He actually pinned the kid at NHSCA that beat Whitworth. 

7. Noah Horst - Personally I think that if we could wave a magic wand and put all kids in state in the same weight class that Noah would win easily.  But, these P4P rankings have to take in to account National placements since it’s impossible to know how the bigs would do against the littles.   Noah made good runs at both NHSCA and Super 32 but he didn’t place.  He finished 4th at National Prep. Two years ago  he did AA at Fargo in Freestyle. 

8. Ashton Davis -how did you leave Ashton off your list?  He was too young to be in HS last year as a freshman so you may not realize how good this big kid is.  As a 1st year cadet this year, he  Fargo AA in Freestyle 8th in the same bracket as Harper and placed at 4th NHSCA this year. 

9.  Garrett Bowers - Garrett doesn’t have very many national placements but 3rd this spring at Flo Nationals in Freestyle is dang impressive and he also was 6th at National Prep. 

10.  Alex Whitworth - 3X State Champ on his way to 5 and two time National Prep AA.  Alex would most likely meet Noah in the finals in the magic wand P4P Tournament.  He is a rare talent but he doesn’t have a lot of National Placements.  He was on his way to AA at Fargo this year until he got hurt and had to drop out.  

11. Aiden Bowers - 8th at both Flonationals and National Prep. Clearly,  he isn’t living off his brothers reputation. 

12. There isn’t another kid that I can find that has multiple National Tourney wins this year but we have a bunch that have placed at major nationals. Brayden Ivy 4th at NHSCA, Kodiak Kennedy 7th at NHSCA, Parker Peterson 7th at NHSCA, Conner Duffy 6th National Prep, Jackson bond 6th National Prep, Emory Taylor 2X national Prep AA 5th this year. Daniel Uhrochuck 8th at NHSCA last year.

I’m sure I’m missing some.  Any one else with National Placements? 

Christian Isabel looked dang good at Super32 but didn’t place there or at NHSCA and doesn’t have any National placements, but he doesn’t compete much out of state so he doesn’t get a lot of opportunities. 

Edited by durdon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, durdon said:

NotSurprised, I wasn’t going to comment on this since you are nothing more than a Baylor homer and this is clearly nothing more than an attempt to hype the Baylor kids.

Dendy is the highest ranked Baylor kid at #4. 

Clearly #1 is Skyler Coffey after his preformance at NHSCA 5th and Super 32 4th. He was the only TN HS wrestler to place at 32 and it’s By far the toughest High School Folkstyle tourney.   There is a reason why Flo has him ranked in the Top 10.  

2.Trae Mcdaniel- Trae would be number 1 if he competed in more National Tourneys. He AA at NHSCA 3rd this year and as he is the only 2 Time Double Fargo AA we have wrestling in state. 

3. James Howard - NHSCA Champ and Double Fargo AA (3rd in Both)  As a first year cadet too. 

4. Garrison Dendy.  Garrison does have 2 big wins this preseason but he only AA at Fargo in Greco 3rd, didn’t place at 32, got 4th at National Prep.  He just doesn’t have the National results the top 3 do. 

5. David Harper - finishes 7th at Fargo two years ago, and 3rd this year.   Finished 7th at National Prep.   He did not place at Super32.  He is a talent that’s for sure but I’m not sure he even wins State this year now that Parker Peterson has moved up to 95

6. Gavin Cagle - you totally left him off your list.  AA at National Prep 8th and Nhsca 5th. He actually pinned the kid at NHSCA that beat Whitworth. 

7. Noah Horst - Personally I think that if we could wave a magic wand and put all kids in state in the same weight class that Noah would win easily.  But, these P4P rankings have to take in to account National placements since it’s impossible to know how the bigs would do against the littles.   Noah made good runs at both NHSCA and Super 32 but he didn’t place.  He finished 4th at National Prep. Two years ago  he did AA at Fargo in Freestyle. 

8. Ashton Davis -how did you leave Ashton off your list?  He was too young to be in HS last year so you may not realize how good this big kid is.   Fargo AA in Freestyle 8th and placed at 4th NHSCA this year. 

9.  Garrett Bowers - Garrett doesn’t have very many national placements but 3rd this spring at Flo Nationals in Freestyle is dang impressive and he also was 6th at National Prep. 

10.  Alex Whitworth - 3X State Champ on his way to 5 and two time National Prep AA.  Alex would most likely meet Noah in the finals in the magic wand P4P Tournament.  He is a rare talent but he doesn’t have a lot of National Placements.  He was on his way to AA at Fargo this year until he got hurt and had to drop out.  

11. Aiden Bowers - 8th at both Flonationals and National Prep. Clearly,  he isn’t living off his brothers reputation. 

12. There isn’t another kid that I can find that has multiple National Tourney wins but we have a bunch that have placed at major nationals. Brayden Ivy 4th at NHSCA, Kodiak Kennedy 7th at NHSCA, Parker Peterson 7th at NHSCA, Conner Duffy 6th National Prep, Jackson bond 6th National Prep, Emory Taylor 2X national Prep AA 5th this year. Daniel Uhrochuck 8th at NHSCA last year.

I’m sure I’m missing some.  Any one else with National Placements? 

Christian Isabel looked dang good at Super32 but didn’t place and doesn’t have any National placements, but he doesn’t compete much out of state so he doesn’t get a lot of opportunities. 

You calling anyone a homer is like the pot calling the kettle black, am I right?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

You calling anyone a homer is like the pot calling the kettle black, am I right?

Yeah, I’m biased towards the Chattanooga/Bradley county kids that is true but there is a reason why. 

I just put together an unbiased list of top kids in the state ranked using National Placements.  This entire list are kids that are now wrestling In the Chattanooga/Bradley county area outside of Coffey and the Bowers boys who grew up in Bradley country as youth btw. 

Now am I actually being biased or am I simply pointing the obvious fact that Chattanooga/Bradley County area is the Mecca of wrestling in this state? 

Edited by durdon
  • Upvote 1