PRE SEASON P4P HIGHSCHOOL RANKINGS

NotSurprised

10 hours ago, oceansize42 said:

Kodiak Cannedy should get a mention at 138/145.  I get to see him on the regular and he is going to beat a lot big school kids regardless of their big school status.  Hopefully he gets a chance to prove it.

7th at 2019 tournament of champions

7th at 2019 nhsca

3rd at 16U SE Regional Freestyle

Won three matches at 2019 Super 32 at 138 lbs and both his losses were by two points. 

In my first listing of my P4P based off placement at National tourneys, I had Kodiak listed as one of the kids with a major placement.  

Kodiak more so than a lot of the other kids since his instate matches will be so weak is going to have place at one of the top major national tournaments to get recognized as a top kid from TN and to get on the radar of the D1 coaches. Not to say that Kodiak isn’t amazing at all or one of the top kids in the state but there is no way to know since  he is from TN and especially small school division  so he is going to have to do something nationally to get on anyone’s radar.  

1. TOC at the MS level and below is a solid tournament but at HS level it means nothing.  

2. Placing at a regional is nice accomplishment but every kid in state that has a major national win plus a lot of other instate kids have placed at or won a regional.  Some multiple times, heck my son has placed at both Southeast and Northeast regionals as a cadet and junior 7 times and made the finals twice. Not saying it’s not nice wins but Regionals just don’t do much to prove your national status or instate status. 

3. Super32 records don’t matter since the brackets are so massive.  The only thing that matters at Super32 is making it to day 2 like Noah did or placing like Coffey did. 

I am going to post the top tourneys that matter just for reference in another thread so not to change the subject here

Edited by durdon
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, mattpitts said:

I am bias, but I’ve been around for a while.  I'm pretty sure Whitworth has never lost to any of the guys on that list when they were at the same weight.  It probably doesn't matter, but I know the last time he wrestled Dendy at the GA Freestyle / Greco State tournament he teched him in Greco and pinned him in Freestyle.  Last year, he teched Jaxon Smith (FLO ranked 15th @ 160 & placed 4th at the 32 this year) 10-0 in the GA Freestyle State Finals.  I'm not sure about the other guys, but he'll be the complete package for whichever college lands him; grades and wrestling IQ.  Between growth spurts and inconvenient injuries, he hasn't had the same results Nationally as some of the others, but he's finally starting to settle into his size and I think that will change drastically over the next 2 seasons.  His style should transition into college pretty seamless…. he’s not a trash or a gimmick wrestler like some guys that are successful in high school.  I think his college ceiling is higher than anyone in the state for those reasons, except maybe Trae McDaniel. 

I can't disagree with you regarding both McDaniel & Whitworth.  I would say that Coffee to me has a great upside due to the fact he is a great athlete, has not wrestled very much on the national circuit and most of the great heavyweight athletes want to compete in football.  To be blunt the competition at heavyweight in college is not as great as it is in the lower & middle weights which should allow Coffee the opportunity to go much deeper in the NCAA tournament.  Other issues that will play into the equation is are these athletes able to stay healthy at the next level, where they elect to attend college (does the room have a winning tradition of producing AA's with multiple AA's as practice partners) and last but not least are they able to break into the lineup sooner rather than later in their career.  Gaining match experience as a young wrestler is so valuable.  

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, oceansize42 said:

Kodiak Cannedy should get a mention at 138/145.  I get to see him on the regular and he is going to beat a lot big school kids regardless of their big school status.  Hopefully he gets a chance to prove it.

7th at 2019 nhsca

Won three matches at 2019 Super 32 at 138 lbs and both his losses were by two points. 

Why hello Kodiak Cannedy's Mom & Dad, welcome to the board!  I love your confidence in your son.  However TOC is trash.  SE Regional is trash.  Super32, ok, that's good but we all know a good draw at S32 can get you a few wins.  7th at NHSCA freshman division, respectable.  

No disrespect towards your son but since you opened the door and want to throw him in the spotlight, let me throw out a few other statistics (all easily verifiable on Track).

• Noah Horst over Cannedy - MD 14-1 (ok, national level wrestler but 14-1...)
  • Braxton Mann, Science Hill over Cannedy - TF 18-2 (Braxton who?)
  • Beast of the East record 1-2 (meh...)
  • 3rd at Bill Brimer's Brawl in the Hall (majored 14-4 at a backwoods local event?)

Those who we consider to be Tennessee's top 10 wrestlers should not be getting majored and teched.  Keep grinding.

13 hours ago, oceansize42 said:

7th at 2019 nhsca

ummmm no

2 hours ago, ObserverW said:

Why hello Kodiak Cannedy's Mom & Dad, welcome to the board!  I love your confidence in your son.  However TOC is trash.  SE Regional is trash.  Super32, ok, that's good but we all know a good draw at S32 can get you a few wins.  7th at NHSCA freshman division, respectable.  

No disrespect towards your son but since you opened the door and want to throw him in the spotlight, let me throw out a few other statistics (all easily verifiable on Track).

• Noah Horst over Cannedy - MD 14-1 (ok, national level wrestler but 14-1...)
  • Braxton Mann, Science Hill over Cannedy - TF 18-2 (Braxton who?)
  • Beast of the East record 1-2 (meh...)
  • 3rd at Bill Brimer's Brawl in the Hall (majored 14-4 at a backwoods local event?)

Those who we consider to be Tennessee's top 10 wrestlers should not be getting majored and teched.  Keep grinding.

Not my son but my son does train with Kodiak regularly and I enjoy the conversation with Kodiak's dad Ben during those times.   Good dude and he would never publicize his kids name, ever.   Also not the kind of guy, as you are,  who throws out snide comments.  I'm just a long time lurker.  I'll DM you my name if your interested.  I have nothing to hide.

That seventh place finish at NHSCA is more than respectable.  Watch his matches in that tournament on Flo.  If you are not impressed well then I would assume your just biased.

Anyways he turned a corner after the Braxton Mann (second at 126 last year and lost to Palmer) match right around January of 2019.  Looked very sharp from there out.  He will and is going to beat a bunch of kids in this state with well known last names this year if he gets the chance.   Perhaps I threw his name out too early but he is impressive and I think he proves it this year.

Edited by oceansize42
correct a sentence
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 2:23 PM, NotSurprised said:

1) GARRISON DENDY- SOPHOMORE 138 (RANKED 19TH BY FLO, WITH WINS OVER THE 4TH AND 5TH RANKED GUYS THIS PRESEASON)

2) HORST- SENIOR 132 (CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF HE'S EVER LOST A MATCH TO ANOTHER TENNESSEE KID?HOPE TO SEE HIM AND ISBELL THIS YEAR.

3) TREY MCDANIEL- JUNIOR 113 (CONSISTENT NATIONAL RESULTS)

4)ALEX WHITWORTH- JUNIOR 160 (ON THE ROAD TO 5 TITLES)

5) DAVID HARPER- SOPHOMORE 195 (FREAKY ATHLETIC UNDERCLASSMAN)

6) SKYLAR COFFEE- SENIOR HWT (RANKED 7TH BY FLO) I HOPE HIM AND HOWARD COMPETE AGAINST ONE ANOTHER SOMETIME THIS SEASON.

7) JAMES HOWARD- SOPHOMORE HWT (DOUBLE FARGO ALL AMERICAN IN CADETS THIS SUMMER) I GIVE THE EDGE TO COFFEE ON A WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY BASIS.

8) CHRISTIAN ISBELL-SENIOR 132 (TOUGH SENIOR)

HONORABLE MENTION NO ORDER

JACKSON BOND (10) BAYLOR

TREY BATES (11) BEECH

GARRET BOWERS (12) CBHS

CONNOR DUFFY (12) BAYLOR

BROOKS SACHARCZYK (12) BLACKMAN

HUNTER MASON (9) GREENVILLE - IN MY OPINION THE TOUGHEST KID IN THE FRESHMAN CLASS. I BELIEVE HE WILL BE HIGHSCHOOL READY IMMEDIATELY AND POTENTIALLY THE BEST WRESTLER IN A-AA THIS YEAR.

My main criteria are who I believe would actually win a match at the same weight class, and strength of wins/national placement. Thoughts?

Horst lost to Palmer in a wrestle off for 126 at Beech. 

13 hours ago, WrestlingIsLife160 said:

I thought they just switched weights because Horst was struggling with his weight. 

no sir. from what i gathered, the plan was for palmer to drop to 26 and horst to 20. but noah couldn’t get down to 120 so they wrestled off for 126 and brayden won. pretty convincingly too as i was told. 

I am going to try and clarify the story since everyone keeps talking about something from two years ago, and there seems to be different stories going around. Hopefully this will be the end of this, and will get this post back on track talking about pound for pound rankings for the upcoming season. 

The plan in the preseason was for Noah to start the year at 120, and Brayden at 126. Once they got the 2 pound allowance, Noah would go to 113, and Brayden would drop to 120. Noah did grow, and it was clear he wasn’t going to make 113. He was trying to get down to 113 still, and got pretty dehydrated. This was when he lost the match to Borders (They had a rematch a month later and Noah pinned him). It was clear Noah wasn’t himself, and I think he went to the hospital after the dual. It was 100% the right decision at that point to not let him try and make 113 anymore. Brayden still wanted 120, and now Noah wasn’t going to 113. Coach Roberts held a wrestle off after Christmas. The only people there were Brayden, Noah, Coach Roberts, and the TSSAA ref. I would have paid to watch the match, but I understood  the reasoning to make it private. Brayden ended up winning a decision. I don’t remember the final score, but was told it was a good match. Noah went up to 126, and won state again anyway in a stacked weight class. I don’t think anyone wanted a wrestle off, but that’s what happened. At least it worked out, and they both won state titles that year. 

For the rankings, I think some of the younger wrestlers are being overrated. A placement at Fargo as a cadet or NHSCAs in the freshman division is impressive. However, I don’t think that automatically makes someone top 10 in the state over a Junior or Senior that hasn’t had the same success on a national level. I’m taking Noah, Whitworth, Bowers, Isbell, Bates, Coffey, McDaniel, and other wrestlers that have proven themselves in state (in HS) over someone like Howard or Davis that has never won a TSSAA state title but was successful on the national level against wrestlers their own age. Some of these young guys may go on to be among the best TN has ever seen, but I wouldn’t say they are the best pound for pound yet. If you look at Flo’s pound for pound list, there is not 1 Freshman or Sophomore on that list right now. There’s a reason someone like McGowan that just won a cadet world title, and is number 1 on the freshman big board isn’t on Flo’s pound for pound list yet.

Edited by LBJ6
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, werazzlin said:

the number 1 pound for pound wrestler in the state this season is Noah Horst! Think about it... IF Noah was same weight as any of them I believe he wins that match. 

I won't speak bad of any kid, but gonna disagee. This can go on and on, and no way to prove anyone right or wrong.

It's Whitworth. NO QUESTION! 
I would say Noah is Top 10 for sure, but Whitworth is #1 at this point.