Fayetteville to forfeit 6 wins

MidTennFootball

Just now, sportsguy22 said:

But wasn't it all approved for the second time in September?! That's why it's absolutely not an open and shut case. Case was ruled on by the executive director and then reversed (late in the season) by the assistant director. They better explain this in detail...what changed since September? Period.

Did they disclose that he lived outside of bus zone at that time?

10 minutes ago, Solomon said:

Haven't followed this closely, seems pretty open and shut case to me. Kid transferred, lived outside of bus zone. It sucks, but I'm trying to figure out why they would get a reprieve.

There are good reasons and good logic to support the idea that the TSSAA misapplied their own rules.  But you'd have to invest more time than anyone with sense would want to at this point. 

For just a taste, consider that Bernard Childress ruled him eligible based on the correct address and two of the BOC agreed (today) that  Menees' ruling was wrong.  If the Executive Director and two of the BOC disagree with it, it's easy to see that it wasn't a trivial situation, in my opinion.

Edited by PullinGuard

1 hour ago, Pirate2003 said:

It seems to me if Fayetteville board allows you to live anywhere in the county and attend their school it’s cut and dried. Bus routes shouldn’t matter. 

The do because the rules say BOTH, not either/or.  The City rule works for attending school for academics, but athletics was given to the TSSAA by the TN Dept of Education a long time ago. 

1 hour ago, Dunc4265 said:

If that was Fayetteville City School Board's policy then I agree... but If the TSSAA rules against that policy and goes with bus routes only then there are going to be a few other public schools worrying. 

Again, it is BOTH.  Read it.

Edited by rlh

3 minutes ago, rlh said:

The do because the rules say BOTH, not either/or.  The City rule works for attending school for academics, but athletics was given to the TSSAA by the TN Dept of Education a long time ago. 

It mentions both.  Nowhere does it say you have to satisfy both.  That's the root of the problem - they need to clarify the intent.  I believe 'bus routes' are there to clarify the school boards intent when there are multiple schools in a zoned system.  That's logical, considering everything.  

'Bus routes' have been used in that manner hundreds of times.  Never in this manner, to my knowledge.

Edited by PullinGuard

1 minute ago, PullinGuard said:

It mentions both.  Nowhere does it say you have to satisfy both.  That's the root of the problem - they need to clarify.  I believe 'bus routes' are there to discriminate between mulitple schools in a zoned system.  That's logical, considering everything.  

Actually, it does.  it says "AND"

No matter what, this is crushing for those kids, that coaching staff, the school, and the community. If there was any wrong doing, then it would have been only a select few involved. The large majority are completely innocent and have to deal with this gut-wrenching ruling. It's a shame. The timing by the TSSAA was horrific and, if they did not let FHS that they were under another investigation and allowed them to think all was well with the kid, then shame on them!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rlh said:

Actually, it does.  it says "AND"

And that means nothing unless you are willing to make assumptions with no guidance from the rules.  If you think it does, it's no wonder that you believe what you do.

If a school has no buses, does that mean it has no territory?  The answer is yes according to this logic.  Even though that's clearly an absurdity.  Is Fayetteville proper outside of LCHS's territory?  It never has been, but it is now.  They don't pick up in town and never have.

Edited by PullinGuard

7 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Has the kid moved since then? I'm assuming his address was correctly detailed originally and ruled upon, but, if not, then obviously something's a miss.

If the city school system is open to county kids I don’t see a problem. In Tullahoma we have coffee co students and vice versa. Fayetteville is getting screwed. Living a half mile out of city shouldn’t be a violation. If he’s coming from Huntsville just to play football that’s a problem. But I don’t see the problem if a county kid going to a city school in the same county.

Edited by mjuhb