Fayetteville to forfeit 6 wins

MidTennFootball

3 minutes ago, Foolsball101 said:

I disagree from the standpoint of the one game i watched fayetteville would not have won if he hadn't played, and almost didn't

You don't disagree with me.  No one anywhere would risk throwing away the playoffs  if they thought there was an issue.  Maybe he would have played against Huntland, but wouldn't in easy wins if anyone suspected an issue.  That's not logical.

Edited by PullinGuard

23 minutes ago, 91goldeneagle said:

AND that is the main thing. They would have been fine if it said OR. Feel bad for the kids and the community.

'OR' would make no sense.  That would not allow bus routes to carve out zones in zoned systems, which is likely the intent.  If it just said 'OR', no zone defined by bus routes in a multi-school system would mean anything at all under the rules.  You could transfer to any school in a system and be immediately eligible, irrespective of zones as defined by bus routes (and counter to school board intent, which seems to be the TSSAA intent).  Even if there are 5 high schools in a zoned system and the school board intends zones to be strictly dictated by bus routes, a transfer could be immediately eligible anywhere.

Bus routes have decided territory and therefore eligibility in zoned systems innumerable times.  To my knowledge, they've never been used to impair the territory for a single HS system to something less than the local board of education's explicit intention before.

Edited by PullinGuard

8 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Fayetteville, which went undefeated during the regular season, will not be participating in the TSSAA Class 1A football playoffs. 

The TSSAA's Board of Control voted 7-2 on Tuesday to deny Fayetteville's appeal over an ineligible transfer player.

The decision changes the Tigers' 10-0 season to 4-6 overall, 0-5 in Region 5-1A and out of the TSSAA's Class 1A playoffs.

"It's just unfortunate," said Board of Control member Bryan True, the athletic director at Loretto. "You don't want to ever do something like that. I understand it's a rule, and they understand it's a rule.

"Our rules are easy to overlook some times. In this situation where it says bus (route). That's the only thing they missed. But you've got a team that's 10-0 and they had to throw everything away."

Huntland is the No. 1 seed from Region 5-1A after the decision with Cornersville at No. 2, Mt. Pleasant at No. 3 and Richland at No. 4.

"I wish I could take one of the members back there with us to face my team," Fayetteville first-year coach Kenny Morson said. "I've got no words for it.

"This team worked so hard to become 10-0. It had nothing to do with a bus route. It had nothing to do with a recruitment of a player. It had nothing to do with anything deceitful. These young men worked their tails off to turn the program around."

Fayetteville went 1-9 last season.

At issue was a decision made in September by TSSAA executive director Bernard Childress declaring the Fayetteville athlete eligible. The letter said the TSSAA confirmed that the family had made a bona fide change of address to the Fayetteville High zone, meaning the player was immediately eligible.

TSSAA attorney Rick Colbert said the original ruling was in regard to the player moving from Alabama into Lincoln County.

In the TSSAA's transfer portal, the school checked off that the athlete had a bona fide change of residence that meets all the TSSAA's requirements.

That included that the new residence is in the territory of the new school and outside the territory of the former school.

On Oct. 15, TSSAA assistant director Gene Menees contacted Fayetteville regarding a complaint that the student wasn't living in the Fayetteville High territory. The student lives in Lincoln County. However, he doesn't live inside the Fayetteville city limits, which is where the bus route exists for Fayetteville High School.

The TSSAA's definition of territory includes both the geographic boundary and bus route.

Make no mistake.  This should scare people.  How is this applied to systems that do not run bus routes like Tullahoma. How does it apply to other systems that run a mile bus route but bulk of students must provide transportation.  So does this mean that this particular rule is interpreted differently depending on who you are or where you are? How is that going to work. This also sends a message.  The TSSAA has TOTAL power.  They are accountable to NO one. When do you know how this rule applies to you (maybe after your season is played and your competitor wants in.) Maybe it depends on if your bud has power in the TSSAA or if you are a nobody. Smart coaches that know they can't get in on their teams ability can lay in wait and put this out at the end of the season. What you gonna do? Lets face it Fayetteville was beat before they started.  TSSAA was never going to overturn the decision of their crony.  Does anyone know of a time when this board didn't upload the decision of their bud? Make no mistake. Adults laid in wait on these kids to cut them, and don't fool yourself you could be next.

Edited by Truthsayer12
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Truthsayer12 said:

Make no mistake.  This should scare people.  How is this applied to systems that do not run bus routes like Tullahoma. How does it apply to other systems that run a mile bus route but bulk of students must provide transportation.  So does this mean that this particular rule is interpreted differently depending on who you are or where you are? How is that going to work. This also sends a message.  The TSSAA has TOTAL power.  They are accountable to NO one. When do you know how this rule applies to you (maybe after your season is played and your competitor wants in.) Maybe it depends on if your bud has power in the TSSAA or if you are a nobody. Smart coaches that know they can't get in on their teams ability can lay in wait and put this out at the end of the season. What you gonna do? Lets face it Fayetteville was beat before they started.  TSSAA was never going to overturn the decision of their crony.  Does anyone know of a time when this board didn't upload the decision of their bud? Make no mistake. Adults laid in wait on these kids to cut them, and don't fool yourself you could be next.

It will be a mess.  It's a big can of worms. 

Lincoln County just lost all of Fayetteville proper as territory, for instance.  No one has ever imagined that.

53 minutes ago, PullinGuard said:

There are good reasons and good logic to support the idea that the TSSAA misapplied their own rules.  But you'd have to invest more time than anyone with sense would want to at this point. 

For just a taste, consider that Bernard Childress ruled him eligible based on the correct address and two of the BOC agreed (today) that  Menees' ruling was wrong.  If the Executive Director and two of the BOC disagree with it, it's easy to see that it wasn't a trivial situation, in my opinion.

Not to mention, a judge found grounds  for filing a restraining order and injunction.  He didn't do that unless he saw something shady.  Lots to think about.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"I wish I could take one of the members back there with us to face my team," Fayetteville first-year coach Kenny Morson said. "I've got no words for it.

The 1st year coach should have been aware of the situation from the get go as should the principal.  They both made a rookie mistake.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Fayetteville, which went undefeated during the regular season, will not be participating in the TSSAA Class 1A football playoffs. 

The TSSAA's Board of Control voted 7-2 on Tuesday to deny Fayetteville's appeal over an ineligible transfer player.

The decision changes the Tigers' 10-0 season to 4-6 overall, 0-5 in Region 5-1A and out of the TSSAA's Class 1A playoffs.

"It's just unfortunate," said Board of Control member Bryan True, the athletic director at Loretto. "You don't want to ever do something like that. I understand it's a rule, and they understand it's a rule.

"Our rules are easy to overlook some times. In this situation where it says bus (route). That's the only thing they missed. But you've got a team that's 10-0 and they had to throw everything away."

Huntland is the No. 1 seed from Region 5-1A after the decision with Cornersville at No. 2, Mt. Pleasant at No. 3 and Richland at No. 4.

"This team worked so hard to become 10-0. It had nothing to do with a bus route. It had nothing to do with a recruitment of a player. It had nothing to do with anything deceitful. These young men worked their tails off to turn the program around."

Fayetteville went 1-9 last season.

At issue was a decision made in September by TSSAA executive director Bernard Childress declaring the Fayetteville athlete eligible. The letter said the TSSAA confirmed that the family had made a bona fide change of address to the Fayetteville High zone, meaning the player was immediately eligible.

TSSAA attorney Rick Colbert said the original ruling was in regard to the player moving from Alabama into Lincoln County.

In the TSSAA's transfer portal, the school checked off that the athlete had a bona fide change of residence that meets all the TSSAA's requirements.

That included that the new residence is in the territory of the new school and outside the territory of the former school.

On Oct. 15, TSSAA assistant director Gene Menees contacted Fayetteville regarding a complaint that the student wasn't living in the Fayetteville High territory. The student lives in Lincoln County. However, he doesn't live inside the Fayetteville city limits, which is where the bus route exists for Fayetteville High School.

The TSSAA's definition of territory includes both the geographic boundary and bus route.

Article essentially proves no new information was given after the 9/6 ruling and the new investigation was only a new interpretation by a different individual.  The school did not provide any false information and cooperated fully. This decision is pathetic.

Edited by Salem
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, rlh said:

The 1st year coach should have been aware of the situation from the get go as should the principal.  They both made a rookie mistake.

Should have been made aware by whom, though, is the question?  Director of Schools believed it exactly as they did.  As far as I know, she's been in charge since FHS was created and worked through all of this with the TSSAA.  Not a soul in the system understood this, and seemingly, neither did Bernard Childress in September. 

I have no idea how any of them could have understood this before October.

Edited by PullinGuard

18 minutes ago, PullinGuard said:

It will be a mess.  It's a big can of worms. 

Lincoln County just lost all of Fayetteville proper as territory, for instance.  No one has ever imagined that.

No they didn't. They just have to make up their minds before freshman year or sit a year if they decide to change.

1 minute ago, PullinGuard said:

Should have been made aware by whom, though, is the question?  Director of Schools believed it exactly as they did.  As far as I know, she's been in charge since FHS was created and worked through all of this with the TSSAA.  Not a soul in the system understood this, and seemingly, neither did Bernard Childress in September. 

I have no idea how any of them could have understood this before October.

Childress was going by the paperwork turned in by FV.  That's the problem.  The principal and coach should have known about transfer rules.  They turned it in with incorrect boxes checked and got called on it later.

• Like 1