Fayetteville to forfeit 6 wins

MidTennFootball

2 minutes ago, Jobres76 said:

So by this definition, FC is not a system wide school because the DO have a defined geographic region and defined bus routes. 

Freedom Prep would be another example of a system wide school.   That's why the kids that transferred out to Memphis Central were ruled ineligible to play.  Therefore they went to West Memphis in Arkansas. 

You could come up with a million different scenarios regarding transfers and "school territories". Hard to have an easy to interpret rule that clearly and unambiguously covers every scenario.

Similar situation in the Signal Mountain case. Kid had bona fide residency change from GA to TN within the Hamilton County school district. Any kid in Hamilton County can attend any school with board approval. Board approved kid attending Signal Mountain. Matters were complicated somewhat by the "No Child Left Behind" transfer regulations. We submitted all of the correct addresses and info to T$$AA, and they ruled him eligible. When our rivals complained (one on the Board of Control), and T$$AA looked at the situation more closely, they determined that Signal Mountain had a natural  geographic/bus route "territory" that did not include his address.  Can't really argue with their logic although we tried.

Nobody wins in that Childress Boy's (Who I don't like so much) court of appeals. :roflolk:

Judge Chilly.jpg

Id like the TSSAA to come up with a rule that if you go to another school that's not where you are zoned to go,sit out a year unless a move is made.Even as a freshman.We lose kids to Dyersburg and Dyer Co every year.About 5 years ago,lost about 5 players to Dyer Co.If their parents think so much of all these other schools,let them move .Or sit a year,no matter what grade.

50 minutes ago, MountainTroll said:

You could come up with a million different scenarios regarding transfers and "school territories". Hard to have an easy to interpret rule that clearly and unambiguously covers every scenario.

Similar situation in the Signal Mountain case. Kid had bona fide residency change from GA to TN within the Hamilton County school district. Any kid in Hamilton County can attend any school with board approval. Board approved kid attending Signal Mountain. Matters were complicated somewhat by the "No Child Left Behind" transfer regulations. We submitted all of the correct addresses and info to T$$AA, and they ruled him eligible. When our rivals complained (one on the Board of Control), and T$$AA looked at the situation more closely, they determined that Signal Mountain had a natural  geographic/bus route "territory" that did not include his address.  Can't really argue with their logic although we tried.

Nobody wins in that Childress Boy's (Who I don't like so much) court of appeals. :roflolk:

Judge Chilly.jpg

I tried to enlighten the FV folks that there case was very similar, and in fact not as solid as Sissy Mtn's argument because Sissy is part of the Hamilton County Schools while FV is their own system within another system.

On 10/25/2019 at 8:11 PM, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

I thought Varo said on another thread that the kid was cleared by TSSAA?  Or was this a different kid?

He was cleared.  Fayetteville has the letter to prove it.  The head coach was on the phone with TSSAA asking for clarification right before a game.  TSSAA said to play him.  So, TSSAA sent a letter clearing him and then told the coach on the phone he was cleared.  Now, people are on here calling him a cheater and making comments about how the coach let down the team.  When the TSSAA doubles down and says the kid is clear, you should be able to play the kid.  Apparently, the TSSAA is as ignorant as some of the people on this message board.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, DEvans7128 said:

He was cleared.  Fayetteville has the letter to prove it.  The head coach was on the phone with TSSAA asking for clarification right before a game.  TSSAA said to play him.  So, TSSAA sent a letter clearing him and then told the coach on the phone he was cleared.  Now, people are on here calling him a cheater and making comments about how the coach let down the team.  When the TSSAA doubles down and says the kid is clear, you should be able to play the kid.  Apparently, the TSSAA is as ignorant as some of the people on this message board.  

FV seemingly failed to include that he was in the county and not inside FV bus routes in the details on the form, so your assessment is incomplete.   Therefore, how do you figure someone else at another school knew this yet the people checking the boxes on the form at FHS did not? 

Edited by rlh
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DEvans7128 said:

I don't think anyone on here has called the Coach a cheater.  Nor should they.  It's all an unfortunate mistake on Fayetteville's part.  In the end every school is responsible for making sure they abide by the rules.  

Sad thing is,  this has happened before and I'm sure it'll happen again.  Why?  One reason is folks have a hard time learning from others mistakes.  

And I don't wanna hear the TSSAA cleared the student athlete.  These student athletes get cleared by the information provided them. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

I don't think anyone on here has called the Coach a cheater.  Nor should they.  It's all an unfortunate mistake on Fayetteville's part.  In the end every school is responsible for making sure they abide by the rules.  

Sad thing is,  this has happened before and I'm sure it'll happen again.  Why?  One reason is folks have a hard time learning from others mistakes.  

And I don't wanna hear the TSSAA cleared the student athlete.  These student athletes get cleared by the information provided them. 

If that is indeed the case, then scrap the current system completely! The TSSAA is responsible for checking and researching these cases before sending out an approval letter declaring his eligibility! That is on them 100%...never send out an "all clear" letter before verifying everything in these situations. It's the wrong way to handle it. It's confusing, careless, complicated, insulting, and stupid. Period.

Edited by sportsguy22
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, rlh said:

FV seemingly failed to include that he was in the county and not inside FV bus routes in the details on the form, so your assessment is incomplete.   Therefore, how do you figure someone else at another school knew this yet the people checking the boxes on the form at FHS did not? 

I would guess someone outside the FV system, with more experience working with TSSAA and transfers, knew about it all along but waited to turn it in until the end because either

1. Just malicious (or personal grudge) which is sad to think but there are those people.  Unfortunately.

2. They Had something to gain. Playoff positioning would be most obvious but there could be something else or another angle.

The "why" is less important at this point than the learning experience IMO.  Its done, let it go and hopefully don't repeat it again (although it seems likely someone, somewhere will).

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

If that is indeed the case, then scrap the current system completely! The TSSAA is responsible for checking and researching these cases before sending out an approval letter declaring his eligibility! That is on them 100%...never send out an "all clear" letter before verifying everything in these situations. It's the wrong way to handle it. It's confusing, careless, complicated, insulting, and stupid. Period.

Nope... TSSAA is only responsible for processing the information provided to them by the school. That means that 100% of the liability is on the school to make sure all the correct information is included. Just to be clear, I'm not accusing anyone of any wrongdoing, or intent to "skirt" the rules as written... just that the part of the equation with anything to lose if not done properly is the school/team, so if anyone is at fault, it's them.