Haywood @ Obion County Central

stacmot

1 hour ago, stacmot said:

You're usually spot on with your Henry Co. predictions.  I hope you are with this game too.  Good luck to the Tomcats and to the Patriots too.

I'm ok with predictions unless it's a crazy game that nobody can predict lol. But I believe Haywood will be more than ok in this game! Haywood big! And thanks hope y'all get 'em the rest of the year!!

1 hour ago, Goldenpride said:

Thank you. I’ve heard countless stories from my granddad about the Big10 and the upset over Brownsville they pulled off haha, the two teams he always said that were the toughest on the block were Brownsville High and Jackson Golden Bears. Hopefully we will all be up for a chance to win the Gold this year

There were a few upsets between Peabody and Haywood back in the Big Ten days, and some lopsided games as well.   I've never witnessed a game played at Peabody's current stadium, but I remember Coach Walter Kilzer and the atmosphere of games played at Freed Field.  I believe 1969 was the last time Haywood and Peabody met in the regular season.  Haywood won 70-14 in Brownsville. 

As Helen Boucher (from the movie The Waterboy) would say, the Jackson High Golden Bears were the DEVIL. Jackson High was a big rival, and  Haywood managed to upset the number one ranked Golden Bears a couple of times. 

Then there were the Big Ten championship games (played on Thanksgiving Day).  They were fun too.  Listen to your granddad.  Those were some good times.  Do you know which year he was referring to as to when Peabody upset Brownsville.  I'd like to look it up and read about it.

The playoff system of today makes for some good times as well, but I do miss the rivalries that have been destroyed by classification and regional alignments.  However, it is much more fun to talk about state championships won on the field rather than mythical championships awarded by sports writers and coaches.  You'll definitely have some good Peabody football stories to tell your grandchildren. 

Edited by stacmot

38 minutes ago, stacmot said:

There were a few upsets between Peabody and Haywood back in the Big Ten days, and some lopsided games as well.   I've never witnessed a game played at Peabody's current stadium, but I remember Coach Walter Kilzer and the atmosphere of games played at Freed Field.  I believe 1969 was the last time Haywood and Peabody met in the regular season.  Haywood won 70-14 in Brownsville. 

As Helen Boucher (from the movie The Waterboy) would say, t;he Jackson High Golden Bears were the DEVIL. Jackson High was a big rival, and  Haywood managed to upset the number one ranked Golden Bears a couple of times. 

Then there were the Big Ten championship games (played on Thanksgiving Day).  They were fun too.  Listen to your granddad.  Those were some good times.  Do you know which year he was referring to as to when Peabody upset Brownsville.  I'd like to look it up and read about it.

The playoff system of today makes for some good times as well, but I do miss the rivalries that have been destroyed by classification and regional alignments.  However, it is much more fun to talk about state championships won on the field rather than mythical championships awarded by sports writers and coaches.  You'll definitely have some good Peabody football stories to tell your grandchildren. 

It’s been a while since he told me when they upsetted them. I wanna say early 60s? Brownsville had a long win streak and was ranked number 1 and Peabody beat them 7-6 if I remember. I was on the first state team at Peabody in 91 and before we headed out to Nashville he came up to the field house and gave us a speech. Good man, he was definitely a hometown hero and a West Tn legend. 

21 hours ago, Goldenpride said:

It’s been a while since he told me when they upsetted them. I wanna say early 60s? Brownsville had a long win streak and was ranked number 1 and Peabody beat them 7-6 if I remember. I was on the first state team at Peabody in 91 and before we headed out to Nashville he came up to the field house and gave us a speech. Good man, he was definitely a hometown hero and a West Tn legend. 

At Trenton, Oct. 19, 1962.  Peabody won 14-13 ending Haywood's 23 game winning streak.  Peabody's touchdowns were scored by Ricky Fowler and Billy Selby.  Selby and ? Oster scored the PAT's for the Golden Tide.  With 19 seconds left in the game, Peabody's Jimmy Milligan intercepted a Haywood pass at Trenton's 15 yard line ending any hope Haywood had of winning the game. You might know those Peabody heroes.  Rumor has it that Trenton burned a dummy of Haywood's captain at a bon fire  held during the week of the big game.  A fun fact related to that...Haywood's captain (the one who was burned in effigy) married a young lady who was a cheerleader for Peabody in 1962.  They still live in Brownsville today.  Walter Kilzer was named the Big Ten Conference Coach of the year in 1962.  

Coach Kilzer was a good man and legend.  

Edited by stacmot

1 minute ago, stacmot said:

At Trenton, Oct. 19, 1962.  Peabody won 14-13 ending Haywood's 23 game winning streak.  Peabody's touchdowns were scored by Ricky Fowler and Billy Selby.  Selby and ? Oster scored the PAT's for the Golden Tide.  With 19 seconds left in the game, Peabody's Jimmy Milligan intercepted a Haywood pass at Trenton's 15 yard line ending any hopes Haywood had of tying the game (there were no 2 point conversions in 1962). You might know those Peabody heroes.  Rumor has it that Trenton burned a dummy of Haywood's captain at a bon fire  held during the week of the big game.  A fun fact related to that...Haywood's captain (the one who was burned in effigy) married a young lady who was a cheerleader for Peabody in 1962.  They still live in Brownsville today.  Walter Kilzer was named the Big Ten Conference Coach of the year in 1962.  

Coach Kilzer was a good man and legend.  

You told like he told me haha. I know 2 of the guys you named. Jimmy Milligan went of to play college football, Billy Selby was my little league coach back when I was 9. HS football isn’t like it used to be from what I heard from all the older stories 

19 hours ago, Goldenpride said:

You told like he told me haha. I know 2 of the guys you named. Jimmy Milligan went of to play college football, Billy Selby was my little league coach back when I was 9. HS football isn’t like it used to be from what I heard from all the older stories 

In the post of mine that you quoted, I said ended any hopes Haywood had of tying the game. 

I apologize.  I'm not sure what i was thinking when I said that.  I should have said ended any hope Haywood had of winning the game.  I went back and edited that in my original post.

Fun memories, but all of that was in the past.  2019's second season has begun, I hope the Golden Tide will win bring the 2A title back to Trenton once again. 

Haywood did a much better job of controlling the penalties last night.  That's one thing they have got to do if they have any hope of bringing the 4A title to Brownsville.  HHS has been to the championship 3 times (1994, 1995, 2018), and we've brought home silver all three times.

8 hours ago, stacmot said:

In the post of mine that you quoted, I said ended any hopes Haywood had of tying the game. 

I apologize.  I'm not sure what i was thinking when I said that.  I should have said ended any hope Haywood had of winning the game.  I went back and edited that in my original post.

Fun memories, but all of that was in the past.  2019's second season has begun, I hope the Golden Tide will win bring the 2A title back to Trenton once again. 

Haywood did a much better job of controlling the penalties last night.  That's one thing they have got to do if they have any hope of bringing the 4A title to Brownsville.  HHS has been to the championship 3 times (1994, 1995, 2018), and we've brought home silver all three times.

Appreciate it! I hope so as well, and I will be pulling for the Tomcats to win the Gold ball in December