District 5AA

ElGoat

On 11/4/2019 at 1:50 PM, hohmaster said:

Lots of good discussion that I agree with.  The 8th grader at Englewood is a good player and will dominate in the county this year. She's strong, has size, and has played on a very good AAU team in Knoxville. The youngest Baker girl (7th grader?) at Englewood may end up being the best of all the Baker girls, and that's saying a lot, assuming she takes a growing spell. Mountain View will have a good young team since they got a 6th grader to transfer there from Polk County this year.
One of the biggest things that would help Central would be to have a Middle School team, comprised of girls from Englewood, Mountain View, and girls wanting to play on it from Etowah City school. Playing on their school team as it is now gives more girls opportunities to play, but at some point you should start separating the better ones and have them playing together before they get in high school.  Playing a Middle School schedule against teams from other counties is far more competitive than playing teams just in your county. 

I agree 100% with you on the advantages of a Middle School. There's a lot of talent in the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade school teams that will be at McMinn Central in a few years. Having all those young ladies playing together now would be tremendous. Johnny may want to stay around a few more years to coach them.

20 hours ago, blitzinbuc said:

I agree 100% with you on the advantages of a Middle School. There's a lot of talent in the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade school teams that will be at McMinn Central in a few years. Having all those young ladies playing together now would be tremendous. Johnny may want to stay around a few more years to coach them.

The middle school would be beneficial for all sports but unfortunately "debt free" McMinn County will not allow  it.  If the "powers that be" would just ask me I can give them the solution. ;) The field in front of  Johns Manville  would be the perfect place for a middle school. However, we have to stay "debt free." Therefore, Englewood since they have the bigger gym would be the middle school. First through fifth would go to Mtn. View and Pre K and Kindergarten would go to Etowah City.  I understand that would present some long travels for some but it would solve the puzzle at the cheapest price. ( I know this will never happen. I'm just throwing it out there for discussion.)

Edited by Central4218

20 hours ago, Central4218 said:

The middle school would be beneficial for all sports but unfortunately "debt free" McMinn County will not allow  it.  If the "powers that be" would just ask me I can give them the solution. ;) The field in front of  Johns Manville  would be the perfect place for a middle school. However, we have to stay "debt free." Therefore, Englewood since they have the bigger gym would be the middle school. First through fifth would go to Mtn. View and Pre K and Kindergarten would go to Etowah City.  I understand that would present some long travels for some but it would solve the puzzle at the cheapest price. ( I know this will never happen. I'm just throwing it out there for discussion.)

McMinn County currently being debt-free is a good thing and here's why: 
1 - The School Board has to propose their plans with estimated costs before the County Commissioners (the money people) vote to approve or decline.
2 - The School Board and/or the County Commissioners are watching closely what the City of Athens is going to do related to schools before they decide what route to go, but they're going to do something. 
3 - If you recall there was an article in the DPA a few months ago about what the County was thinking long-range about schools. Many ideas with costs ranging as high as $100 million.
4 - I think the County School Board will develop plan(s) with costs within a year once they know what the City of Athens is going to do, then they'll kick it to the County Commissioners.
So, the County being debt-free will be very beneficial in seeking low-interest financing (bonds) once they decide what they're going to do.

I might note that one of the ideas McMinn County is kicking around is combining both high schools into a new building.

7 minutes ago, blitzinbuc said:

McMinn County currently being debt-free is a good thing and here's why: 
1 - The School Board has to propose their plans with estimated costs before the County Commissioners (the money people) vote to approve or decline.
2 - The School Board and/or the County Commissioners are watching closely what the City of Athens is going to do related to schools before they decide what route to go, but they're going to do something. 
3 - If you recall there was an article in the DPA a few months ago about what the County was thinking long-range about schools. Many ideas with costs ranging as high as $100 million.
4 - I think the County School Board will develop plan(s) with costs within a year once they know what the City of Athens is going to do, then they'll kick it to the County Commissioners.
So, the County being debt-free will be very beneficial in seeking low-interest financing (bonds) once they decide what they're going to do.

I might note that one of the ideas McMinn County is kicking around is combining both high schools into a new building.

I've got a plan for the new high school as well.:-)  Build it behind  the armory between the airport and call it McMinn County High School. Then fight over colors and nickname. LOL!!!  I have also heard the field  across from the Midway Drive In is where the commissioners have been looking.  

Edited by Central4218

1 hour ago, Central4218 said:

I've got a plan for the new high school as well.:-)  Build it behind  the armory between the airport and call it McMinn County High School. Then fight over colors and nickname. LOL!!!  I have also heard the field  across from the Midway Drive In is where the commissioners have been looking.  

There's a huge piece of property on the left side of the road coming from Etowah into Athens. It's located after you pass the road to going to Englewood but before you get to the Whiteway shopping center.

I think the school colors should be red & black, and be called the Fighting Cocks.  ;)

Personally, I hope they stay with two high schools.

1 minute ago, blitzinbuc said:

There's a huge piece of property on the left side of the road coming from Etowah into Athens. It's located after you pass the road to going to Englewood but before you get to the Whiteway shopping center.

I think the school colors should be red & black, and be called the Fighting Cocks.  ;)

Personally, I hope they stay with two high schools.

I agree. One high school would be an absolute mess especially if you build it in the kudzu. :roflolk:

Random question for McMinn Co residents... Do you consider yourself more closely affiliated with Knoxville or Chattanooga for sports coverage & affiliation? 
i think Chattanooga Times Free Press includes both McMinn HS’s in their Best of Preps teams, etc, correct? 
Does the Knoxville media include you similarly up there, or are you more aligned with Chattanooga? 

On 11/9/2019 at 4:48 PM, FootballFan51 said:

Random question for McMinn Co residents... Do you consider yourself more closely affiliated with Knoxville or Chattanooga for sports coverage & affiliation? 
i think Chattanooga Times Free Press includes both McMinn HS’s in their Best of Preps teams, etc, correct? 
Does the Knoxville media include you similarly up there, or are you more aligned with Chattanooga? 

Chattanooga. McMinn will get some Knoxville coverage due to their football schedule  but for the most part it's Chattanooga.

Edited by Central4218
  • Upvote 1