District 5AA

ElGoat

Just now, Dadof2 said:

They are just playing so tight and some are scared to mess up, because they know if they do, they will be taken out, and you just can’t play that way, but I’m afraid if something doesn’t change we will be down a few more players.

Surely the young ladies will hang in there.  They have the potential to be a great team.  Our girls deal with that every year because Morgan expects their best, but by the end of the year, they seem to to gel and click.  I love how he pushes my young lady!!  Hang in there, championships are not won in December.

12 minutes ago, logcabinman said:

Surely the young ladies will hang in there.  They have the potential to be a great team.  Our girls deal with that every year because Morgan expects their best, but by the end of the year, they seem to to gel and click.  I love how he pushes my young lady!!  Hang in there, championships are not won in December.

Yes Morgan is a very good coach, he is very good at developing players.

16 minutes ago, Dadof2 said:

Yes Morgan is a very good coach, he is very good at developing players.

Hang in there.  Even good teams have off nights.  We had a rough start to season, playing horribly in our first two games.  We struggled with Midway, at their place, with poor shooting but were fortunate enough to win.  Same scenario with Silverdale, a game where Coach Morgan sat some girls and taught a valuable lesson.  I love the fact that he will put his girls in tough situations and out of their comfort zone.  Silverdale was definitely one of those teaching moment games.  Maybe that is what Powell is doing, teaching lessons early, to win later.   

1 hour ago, logcabinman said:

Hang in there.  Even good teams have off nights.  We had a rough start to season, playing horribly in our first two games.  We struggled with Midway, at their place, with poor shooting but were fortunate enough to win.  Same scenario with Silverdale, a game where Coach Morgan sat some girls and taught a valuable lesson.  I love the fact that he will put his girls in tough situations and out of their comfort zone.  Silverdale was definitely one of those teaching moment games.  Maybe that is what Powell is doing, teaching lessons early, to win later.   

No that’s not what he is doing, he plays pretty much 5 players the hole game, with 2 good seniors setting on the bench, and a couple other players that could give you a couple minutes here and there, so in the 4th quarter the starters are dead, then he gets made and will quit coaching and just sit there with he’s head down. but instead of getting your younger players ready, he will press teams with 2 minutes to go in the game, with his starters in and up by 40. That’s why 95% of the fans think he is a terrible coach 

13 hours ago, Dadof2 said:

They are just playing so tight and some are scared to mess up, because they know if they do, they will be taken out, and you just can’t play that way, but I’m afraid if something doesn’t change we will be down a few more players.

Coaches know those who play tough. Everybody "messes up." It's been a long while since I played competitively, but I understood the team concept.

I just happen to be at the Meigs/ McMinn game the other night and if the first two off the bench are the seniors your talking about I thought they played a lot. Especially one of them. I’ve been around for a long time and have seen both of these teams quiet a bit over the years and have always thought Coach Powell has done a great job. He’s had lots of success. 

13 hours ago, BBallHipe said:

I just happen to be at the Meigs/ McMinn game the other night and if the first two off the bench are the seniors your talking about I thought they played a lot. Especially one of them. I’ve been around for a long time and have seen both of these teams quiet a bit over the years and have always thought Coach Powell has done a great job. He’s had lots of success. 

I was waiting for someone else to say this, so I had a little backup. Coach Powell has done nothing but WIN while at Meigs. Yeah, it’s been a rough start, but he consistently pumps out 20+ win seasons. This season will be no different. Even with Kenny being hurt, we should still finish first in the district. Kenny may be able to play, though, so that will be even better. The “95%” thats claimed to not like coach Powell are probably either a)  a sideline daddy who thinks he’s a coach cause he played ball way back in high school or b) parents who think their kids deserve more playing time.
Looking forward to Friday. 

Edited by TigerGoat
  • Upvote 1

Plus, this isn’t middle school or elementary school ball. If you have an underclassman (or woman in this case) thats a sophomore, for example, and she is better than a senior, you play the sophomore. 
When I went through high school, I had a coach that had the mindset of: “If I have a freshman (or sophomore/junior) and a senior who have equal talent, I am playing the freshman (or sophomore/junior) because the senior isn’t going to help me win games a year from now.” I will never forget the moment he told me that. Every high school coach should live by that mantra. 

Rant over. 

• Like 1

I agree 100% about playing the younger kids over the older, if they are better. But I think it will be difficult to win 20+ games this year with the schedule we have.  I still think we will be competing for the district this year with Central, but we have to find some offense with Kenny out, we have two really good juniors in Stone and Anna Crowder, that will have to lead the team, and the other 5 players will have to step up if they won’t to make it to state, but he will definitely have to make some changes for them to get their, the up-tempo style he plays for 4 quarters, is tough with 7 players, and you add getting up at 5:30 every morning for practice, I think it takes a toll on them, at least that’s what I hear from the girls.

Rant over about the coaching.