THE WEATHER! ...... Oh, really ?!?!?

blazer1set

1 hour ago, HTV said:

Yeah. I always wondered why you tried a fade in to a 25 mph wind. :-o

That completely changed the game, but if memory serves Powell's defense gave you 60 yards on that drive and not much else the rest of the night. 

In fact both defenses were spectacular that night.  Cody Watts and Jay Courtney just made one more play than you guys did that night. 

You never throw a fade route too short, back of end zone where only WR can catch it or out of bounds.

Easy to say, hard to do in the elements.  Never like an Ivan since that night.

3 hours ago, HTV said:

My son still says that his favorite high school game he played in was in 2004 played as the remnants of Hurricane Ivan dumped about 4 inches of rain on the field, and it wasn't artificial turf back then. 

Of course it didn't hurt that his Powell team beat arch rival Halls 7-0 that night. 

Took until the following Wednesday to get his game cleats clean of mud and dried out.

Funny thing was us parents sat there and seemed to enjoy it. If I remember, there was a very good crowd. And wasn't the game moved back to Thursday to beat the storm that was supposed to come in Friday, only to speed up and hit just as the game started? And I think it was a TV game. I may have it wrong.

31 minutes ago, sheppy said:

You never throw a fade route too short, back of end zone where only WR can catch it or out of bounds.

Easy to say, hard to do in the elements.  Never like an Ivan since that night.

Yep.  And Trey (pretty sure Trey was your QB that year) normally threw that pass well for you, or at least he had on the film I had seen in my game prep.  

And, yeah, I said film.  We're old.  

Easily the worst weather game I broadcasts in my nearly 30 years of broadcasting, and I had quite a few bad ones.  

24 minutes ago, dawgs82 said:

Funny thing was us parents sat there and seemed to enjoy it. If I remember, there was a very good crowd. And wasn't the game moved back to Thursday to beat the storm that was supposed to come in Friday, only to speed up and hit just as the game started? And I think it was a TV game. I may have it wrong.

Nope.  You're right.  It was originally a Friday TV game (CSS out of Atlanta, if memory serves) and the original storm track had the weather hitting on Friday, so Powell's folks decided to make it a Thursday game.  But Ivan fooled everybody and made landfall early and got to East Tennessee on Thursday night instead of Friday.  

And another memory from that game for my son is that there was in an above the fold front page sports section photo of his making a play in Friday's Knoxville News-Sentinel, back in the day when the KNS actually covered high school football.  Still have that photo in a scrap book around here someplace.

And those Powell/Halls games always drew huge gates, no matter the records of the teams coming in or who was hosting.  

Edited by HTV

Yes there was a good crowd for that game, weather included.  When you said film, if you recall we were using the DVD tape method then and to keep people from copying it illegally,  we decided to just keep the tapes.  Some school in the county above us would copy without permission...guess who?

Also, if memory serves me, the Halls-Powell game from 2001was the first game after 9-11.  Do you remember the ultra-light plane that do a fly-over just before the band played the National Anthem?  One of our students and he asked my permission on Thursday if he could do it and I said yes but only if you wave your wings at me.  Coaches couldn't figure out why we left for the field 3 minutes early.  The last play of that game, think Derek Milligan was the QB, we dropped all 11 players into pass coverage - the DL only dropped about 5 yards.

Great rivalries, great games, friends afterwards.  Congrats on Powell's success this year, hope the Devils can finish regular season with a W tonight, 7-3 overall.  GO DEVILS & PANTHERS!

1 hour ago, sheppy said:

Yes there was a good crowd for that game, weather included.  When you said film, if you recall we were using the DVD tape method then and to keep people from copying it illegally,  we decided to just keep the tapes.  Some school in the county above us would copy without permission...guess who?

Also, if memory serves me, the Halls-Powell game from 2001was the first game after 9-11.  Do you remember the ultra-light plane that do a fly-over just before the band played the National Anthem?  One of our students and he asked my permission on Thursday if he could do it and I said yes but only if you wave your wings at me.  Coaches couldn't figure out why we left for the field 3 minutes early.  The last play of that game, think Derek Milligan was the QB, we dropped all 11 players into pass coverage - the DL only dropped about 5 yards.

Great rivalries, great games, friends afterwards.  Congrats on Powell's success this year, hope the Devils can finish regular season with a W tonight, 7-3 overall.  GO DEVILS & PANTHERS!

Yeah, videotape was prominent by then.  But even videotape seems archaic in this day and time.  

Flying ultralights was a thing back in that day.  We had a guy in Powell who flew on his pretty much every day.  When I was the president of the booster club I ran him down and had him take some game night pics of the Scarbro Stadium from above.  Great shots, and we couldn't find any like that that had been taken before then.  

You are right - great memories, and some really great games.  That was an honest to goodness rivalry back in those days.  Both teams had some great players come out of the program, and both communities support their schools and sports like few others in this area.  The rivalry has still been good, but it's been a streak dominated rivalry over the last few years and the two schools being placed in different regions has taken a bit of the edge off of it.  It's still every bit as big in the other sports since they are still in the same districts, but football has a ways to go to get it back to where it was.  Scott is doing an awesome job at Halls.  Just wondering how long Halls can keep him.  Hearing lots of rumors right now.  

And I'm not kidding when I say that I am not as close to the program as I was back then.  Matt is still a friend, but I don't talk to him very often these days.  He's a busy guy and I don't want to bother him, and there are only a couple of assistants there that I know, as well. But my son is an alum, I live in Powell, and I spent a long time involved with that program, so I am still very much a fan.

But I am also fortunate in that given how long I was involved in broadcasting that I have had the opportunity to meet and get to know a lot of coaches not just in Knox County, but across East Tennessee and the state.  And as I have said before, 95% of them are in it for all of the right reasons.  

I count my blessings every day.    

Edited by HTV

17 hours ago, TeeterTot said:

I would be shocked if the majority of your posts dont start with "Back when I played, we ..........."

lol... you could be right. BUT you know this culture is getting softer by the day. You need a little age and experience to be able to recognize it ... anyone over 40 probably agrees