DII AAA Playoff Matchups

D23A

Many thanks to Knoxville Catholic for their great hospitality tonight. It was a fun game to call, in spite of the inherent challenges of Irish vs. Fighting Irish. That threw me off my play-by-play cadence more than I had anticipated, at least initially.

Quite a bit of back-and-forth, and it was a three-point game in the fourth quarter until Catholic pulled away late.

For what it's worth, they didn't announce any scores over the PA until very late in the Catholic/FRHS game, when the crowd was informed Baylor was up by 11 on BA.

What a win by Ensworth at McCallie. And it turned out Ensworth had to have that win to make the postseason after all. They certainly earned it, though I haven't seen anything from that game yet.

As usual after a broadcast, I was simultaneously wired and exhausted for hours. Will have to read some of those game recaps later. With the bye week there is plenty of time to contemplate the matchups.

Considerably higher stakes for MBA at Baylor, part two. Hopefully there won't be a monsoon this time around.

4 hours ago, LouPickney said:

Many thanks to Knoxville Catholic for their great hospitality tonight. It was a fun game to call, in spite of the inherent challenges of Irish vs. Fighting Irish. That threw me off my play-by-play cadence more than I had anticipated, at least initially.

Quite a bit of back-and-forth, and it was a three-point game in the fourth quarter until Catholic pulled away late.

For what it's worth, they didn't announce any scores over the PA until very late in the Catholic/FRHS game, when the crowd was informed Baylor was up by 11 on BA.

What a win by Ensworth at McCallie. And it turned out Ensworth had to have that win to make the postseason after all. They certainly earned it, though I haven't seen anything from that game yet.

As usual after a broadcast, I was simultaneously wired and exhausted for hours. Will have to read some of those game recaps later. With the bye week there is plenty of time to contemplate the matchups.

Considerably higher stakes for MBA at Baylor, part two. Hopefully there won't be a monsoon this time around.

I watched the Ensworth live stream.  McCallie had Hardy back.  The Tigers ran wide the entire night and usually away from Hardy.  They led the majority of the game.  QB for McCallie, while talented, is not the passer to throw against the DBs for Ensworth.  It was a good game and a shocker considering Father Ryan ran for 200yds against Ensworth....I thought McCallie would double that....

11 hours ago, D23A said:

4 (W) Christian Brothers

1 (E) McCallie

3 (E) Ensworth

2 (W) Briarcrest

4 (E) Knoxville Catholic

1 (W) MUS

3 (W) MBA

2 (E) Baylor

Let the fun begin

If not for the long ride, I would have CBHS for the upset.

Agree with Booger- KC loses in Memphis....6hr ride?!!

BC takes care of Ensworth

the game I want to see is the rematch between MBA and Baylor

12 minutes ago, PurplePanther said:

If not for the long ride, I would have CBHS for the upset.

Agree with Booger- KC loses in Memphis....6hr ride?!!

BC takes care of Ensworth

the game I want to see is the rematch between MBA and Baylor

Rumor has it KC will leave Thursday morning and drive to Memphis, practice on Thursday afternoon then treat Friday as a normal game day. They will have several teachers make the trip and hold classes and study sessions. Hopefully that will lessen the impact of the trip. We shall see.

Each and every one of these matchups has something special about them

Christian Brothers/McCallie showcases two hungry teams, each of which is coming off of a tough loss where both teams had missed opportunities to win. McCallie is as determined as any team in this division, and they must take advantage of having home field.

Ensworth/Briarcrest is showcasing a lot of talent on the field, including guys like Keshawn Lawrence, Omari Thomas, Jabari Small, and many more. This is, yet again, another big test for Briarcrest to see if they are all the hype that they have been said to be. We will see if their running D is as good as we've heard, as well as if the Saints can contain the 5 Star Safety/Receiver heading to Rocky Top next fall.

Knox Catholic/MUS is a tricky one, to say the least. Catholic, who has not had to travel to the Memphis area for a playoff game in over 15 years, will try to make a huge statement in this game, who could *potentially* be a dark horse in the playoffs. The problem for Catholic is how their Defense can execute as a whole. MUS is coming off of their biggest win of the season and is relying on the actions of Hunter Kendall. If the Irish cannot contain Kendall at the bear minimum, then Knox Catholic is in for a rude awakening in their inaugural D2 AAA playoffs, as well as a 6 hr drive home. It'll also be fun to see how players like Kaden Martin handle the pressure on the offensive side of things, as well as the matchup on the line of scrimmage between Tyler Baron of Catholic, going against Marcus Henderson of MUS.

MBA/Baylor has the potential to be the best game out of these 4 Quarterfinal Games. Having last played in a monsoon on 10/25, the two teams meet again at the same place, this time with an opportunity to end the other teams' season. With hopefully no rain in the forecast, we will finally see what Marcel Reed can do against the Baylor D at full force. Elijah Howard should do his thing, like he has done just about every game so far this season. This should have much higher scoring than the first meeting, as well as the stakes being much higher this time around.

All in all, each of these 4 games has something unique about them that will make this round better than it has been with the old playoff format. Lots of hype and excitement over these next two weeks heading into November 15th...

Edited by D23A
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 10:30 AM, OldandBusted said:

Rumor has it KC will leave Thursday morning and drive to Memphis, practice on Thursday afternoon then treat Friday as a normal game day. They will have several teachers make the trip and hold classes and study sessions. Hopefully that will lessen the impact of the trip. We shall see.

if that rumor b true...u could bet your sweet Hillary that Catholic boss in knoxville wouldnt dare approve of lettin his lil side project doen in chattanooga take that kinda trip

Booger just sayin :huh:

On 11/2/2019 at 11:53 PM, D23A said:

MBA/Baylor has the potential to be the best game out of these 4 Quarterfinal Games. Having last played in a monsoon on 10/25, the two teams meet again at the same place, this time with an opportunity to end the other teams' season. With hopefully no rain in the forecast, we will finally see what Marcel Reed can do against the Baylor D at full force. Elijah Howard should do his thing, like he has done just about every game so far this season. This should have much higher scoring than the first meeting, as well as the stakes being much higher this time around.

I think a fast track favors Baylor.  A monsoon probably helped contain Howard.