Covington (8-2) @ Melrose (6-4)

Win or go home time. Covington took two tough  region losses by a touchdown in each contest. Just my opinion both games could have went either way but it's just the region we play in. With that being said it put Covington in the 3rd place to face  2nd  place Melrose. How do you guys think this one will play out ? Will Covington move on to get another shot at SG?

Edited by fanoffootball2013

24 minutes ago, fanoffootball2013 said:

Win or go home time. Covington took two tough  region losses by a touchdown in each contest. Just my opinion both games could have went either way but it's just the region we play in. With that being said it put Covington in the 3rd place to face  2nd  place Melrose. How do you guys think this one will play out ? Will Covington move on to get another shot at SG?

Yeah you guys get the win.  Melrose isn’t a bad team. They won last night 40-6 over Hamilton. And going to Orange Mound in November is never a fun thing to do. But I think you guys pull it out. Just may have to break a sweat. 

• Like 1

Was able to make it to Selmer and watch Covington and McNairy play last night. I have now seen Covington play Milan, SGC, and McNairy.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why Covington ever switched more to the "option" style offense against Milan and SGC, but last night they went back to their traditional wing-t and McNairy had no answer for them. Covington ran the ball right down their throats. 

If Covington stays in the wing-t, they are still the best team in this region I believe. Best team doesn't always win and that's why they play the games, but I think SGC wishes they were not looking at Covington in round 2 of the playoffs, thats for sure. 

10 minutes ago, JoeBlow777 said:

Was able to make it to Selmer and watch Covington and McNairy play last night. I have now seen Covington play Milan, SGC, and McNairy.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why Covington ever switched more to the "option" style offense against Milan and SGC, but last night they went back to their traditional wing-t and McNairy had no answer for them. Covington ran the ball right down their throats. 

If Covington stays in the wing-t, they are still the best team in this region I believe. Best team doesn't always win and that's why they play the games, but I think SGC wishes they were not looking at Covington in round 2 of the playoffs, thats for sure. 

Hayes didn’t play much last night what’s up with him??

23 minutes ago, JoeBlow777 said:

I beg to differ about the best team don't always win...winning football games in region 7 isn't easy but the team that plays the best football game always wins. Excuses don't produce points. 

15 minutes ago, Ironmaker said:

I beg to differ about the best team don't always win...winning football games in region 7 isn't easy but the team that plays the best football game always wins. Excuses don't produce points. 

Any game in region 7 I feel could have gone either way this year. I agree with you excuses don't produce points you have to make plays when they count and not make mistakes.

35 minutes ago, fanoffootball2013 said:

Any game in region 7 I feel could have gone either way this year. I agree with you excuses don't produce points you have to make plays when they count and not make mistakes.

Covington is a great football team and beat a really good McNairy team to stay alive in the toughest region in the state. It's ashame to see 1 and 9 teams in the playoffs while good football teams are left out. Winning matters in region 7.

Edited by Ironmaker
  • Like 1

I saw maybe 1 or 2 plays out of the wing-t last night...most of it was option and double wing for pitches. Milan was all wing-t and it was shut down. 
Dis y’all notice that Winfrey started last night and MCNairy did nothing until he tweaked that knee again. I wish they would’ve rested him 2 more weeks....I doubt he’ll return now

2 hours ago, JoeBlow777 said:

I firmly believe South Gibson is the best team this year. I think Milan has the best defense and McNairy scores the most points so maybe they had the best offense. But SG does all phases of the game well. Plus they don’t beat themselves with turnovers, penalties and other mistakes. That’s why they went 5-0 in the region plain and simple. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I firmly believe South Gibson is the best team this year. I think Milan has the best defense and McNairy scores the most points so maybe they had the best offense. But SG does all phases of the game well. Plus they don’t beat themselves with turnovers, penalties and other mistakes. That’s why they went 5-0 in the region plain and simple. 

The stage is set for rematches between very good football teams and I think Milan will be there in the 3rd round for a rematch of their own. SGC is a great football team that is well coached and very disciplined. Covington and Milan are loaded with talent and can compete with anyone in the state. Tough road to the end. 

4 hours ago, 00Chargers said:

I saw maybe 1 or 2 plays out of the wing-t last night...most of it was option and double wing for pitches. Milan was all wing-t and it was shut down. 
Dis y’all notice that Winfrey started last night and MCNairy did nothing until he tweaked that knee again. I wish they would’ve rested him 2 more weeks....I doubt he’ll return now

Yea Winfrey played.  I think I would have held him out too a few more weeks but you got to also think Friday could have been his last game. If not I would have just thrown him in a couple plays here and there so he could get some game feel back. I definitely wouldn't plan on playing him much this week.

Edited by fanoffootball2013