Covington (8-2) @ Melrose (6-4)

11 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Thank you sir!

It is not too bad until you get to Humboldt! At least all of the roads you will must travel on will be paved! HEY! we are moving up! Just a few years ago one of the roads that led to the high school was still a gravel road! 

1000 Hornet Drive Medina TN. Google maps will put you right at the stadium! 

Good luck in the first round as well! 

/steven

I have all the region 7-3A schools stored as Favorites in the app. It’s really amazing how large an area this Region covers, and it doesn’t even cross the Tennessee River. From Martin to Selmer is a long haul. 

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I have all the region 7-3A schools stored as Favorites in the app. It’s really amazing how large an area this Region covers, and it doesn’t even cross the Tennessee River. From Martin to Selmer is a long haul. 

Martin to Bolivar! We are lucky. The longest drive me have is to Selmer or Bolivar. Honestly, I am surprised that Covington is not region 8.  

4 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Martin to Bolivar! We are lucky. The longest drive me have is to Selmer or Bolivar. Honestly, I am surprised that Covington is not region 8.  

Yeah, they had us in 8-3A for a couple of years with Melrose and Raleigh-Egypt.  But, we had less in common with those urban schools than we do with the small-town schools in 7-3A.

Before that, we were in 4A for a short time and were grouped with Dyersburg, Obion Central, Dyer County, Ripley. That was what I called the Highway 51 league, as we were stretched out along that road. We always knew that our Friday night would be spent traveling US 51.

So, I would guess that the TSSAA considers Covington as that "red-headed stepchild" that they don't quite know how to handle.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

7 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Yeah, they had us in 8-3A for a couple of years with Melrose and Raleigh-Egypt.  But, we had less in common with those urban schools than we do with the small-town schools in 7-3A.

Before that, we were in 4A for a short time and were grouped with Dyersburg, Obion Central, Dyer County, Ripley. That was what I called the Highway 51 league, as we were stretched out along that road. We always knew that our Friday night would be spent traveling US 51.

So, I would guess that the TSSAA considers Covington as that "red-headed stepchild" that they don't quite know how to handle.

If y'all would just pack the town up and move it to Gibson County y'all would fit right in, Considering how serious y'all take football! 

All thing considered I personally believe that playing in this region is a good thing for the lone survivor that comes out to make it to the Semi's. You must bring it every single week because if you do not you are going to McNairy and sitting at home this Friday.... That is a shame but it is the truth. This region prepares our teams for deep long playoff runs for the survivor! Unfortunately we have a team like McNairy at home this Friday and a team like Sheffield that will get an 11th game they do not deserve IMO. 

18 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Man, it was horrible being in region 8. They brought nobody to games and it really hurt the gate money compared to rural communities that support their football. So glad to be in this region with programs like Milan, SG, and McNasty...even though we cheer against each other most weeks, we share the same passion for our high school football and our towns. Makes it so much more fun on Friday night!

Edited by 00Chargers
  • Like 1

Friday night weather will challenge the casual fan. Temps are expected to be in the low 30's at gametime. You have to be dedicated to sit in that cold for two hours. It will be interesting to see how the playoff attendance is this week.

I 'm so crazy that I gave away my two tickets to watch the Memphis Tiger basketball game in warm FedEx Forum, and will sit in the cold to watch my Chargers. It's playoff football, after all. Win or go home!!

4 hours ago, 00Chargers said:

Man, it was horrible being in region 8. They brought nobody to games and it really hurt the gate money compared to rural communities that support their football. So glad to be in this region with programs like Milan, SG, and McNasty...even though we cheer against each other most weeks, we share the same passion for our high school football and our towns. Makes it so much more fun on Friday night!

I can only imagine. 

I remember playing Craigmont a few years ago and they had 4 people show up to watch the contest. 

I personally, felt sorry for those players. They look at our sideline and there is at least a thousand people cheering on our kids and their sideline has 4 people on it. 

14 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

I can only imagine. 

I remember playing Craigmont a few years ago and they had 4 people show up to watch the contest. 

I personally, felt sorry for those players. They look at our sideline and there is at least a thousand people cheering on our kids and their sideline has 4 people on it. 

I've seen the same thing in the past when Covington would play at Raleigh-Egypt. They might get a dozen fans in their stands. 

I'm not sure of the current level of fan support at Melrose. In 1997, Melrose came to Covington in the playoffs and beat us. At that time, their fans traveled to our place, tailgated, etc. As I recall they had a big crowd.

i think their fan support has been up-and-down over the last few years, depending on their record. I don't think they had many fans two years ago when we played there. This year, they are 2nd in their region, so I would expect more fans. The Orange Mound community has historically been big behind the Golden Wildcats.

2 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I've seen the same thing in the past when Covington would play at Raleigh-Egypt. They might get a dozen fans in their stands. 

I'm not sure of the current level of fan support at Melrose. In 1997, Melrose came to Covington in the playoffs and beat us. At that time, their fans traveled to our place, tailgated, etc. As I recall they had a big crowd.

i think their fan support has been up-and-down over the last few years, depending on their record. I don't think they had many fans two years ago when we played there. This year, they are 2nd in their region, so I would expect more fans. The Orange Mound community has historically been big behind the Golden Wildcats.

I remember that game as well, I was a freshman and Melrose brought the house. They filled up the entire visitor stands (and they were large and wooden back then) and we thought they were gonna collapse when they would cheer. There were also several hundred that couldn’t fit in the stands. I bet they brought a couple thousand that night. I believe Cedric Wilson was a player back then along with Alabama commit Kendal Morehead, an absolute beast! Melrose was the Whitehaven back then of Memphis.

1 hour ago, 00Chargers said:

I remember that game as well, I was a freshman and Melrose brought the house. They filled up the entire visitor stands (and they were large and wooden back then) and we thought they were gonna collapse when they would cheer. There were also several hundred that couldn’t fit in the stands. I bet they brought a couple thousand that night. I believe Cedric Wilson was a player back then along with Alabama commit Kendal Morehead, an absolute beast! Melrose was the Whitehaven back then of Memphis.

As I recall, the game was not close, but here’s an example of how Morehead dominated that night. Darron White was our star running back. I tell people on one play Morehead tackled Darron. He picked him up, looked at Darron, looked at the ball, threw Darron down and took off with the ball. He was that dominant.

I hope Melrose won’t have a guy like that this time.

16 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

As I recall, the game was not close, but here’s an example of how Morehead dominated that night. Darron White was our star running back. I tell people on one play Morehead tackled Darron. He picked him up, looked at Darron, looked at the ball, threw Darron down and took off with the ball. He was that dominant.

I hope Melrose won’t have a guy like that this time.

It was actually closer than you think. At one point early in the 4th quarter Covington led 7-6. They eventually lost 22-7. But I do recall the play you are referring to and Darron had just intercepted the ball just to have it taken away like candy from a baby by Morehead.