Jefferson County High School

1OldPatriot

Does anybody care anymore? Administration? Community? Since 2000 (Kisabeth's last year), they have made the playoffs just 8 times with only 4 wins. Missed the playoffs the last 3 years. Started 3-0 (against bad teams Sevier Co, Mo East and Mo West). No way a school with over 2400 kids can't find players to be competitive. What gives?

34 minutes ago, 1OldPatriot said:

Does anybody care anymore? Administration? Community? Since 2000 (Kisabeth's last year), they have made the playoffs just 8 times with only 4 wins. Missed the playoffs the last 3 years. Started 3-0 (against bad teams Sevier Co, Mo East and Mo West). No way a school with over 2400 kids can't find players to be competitive. What gives? 

A similar question could probably be asked about Morristown West. What is going on there??

Patriot, I think you guys are just in a tough situation, given your size. To get to the playoffs, you'll always have to deal with other large metro schools like DB, Science Hill, Farragut, Bearden, and HVA. I think that automatically puts you at a disadvantage. That being said, Science Hill, HVA, Bearden, and Farragut were all down this year (plus Sevier Co and Mo West have been terrible). There was definitely an opportunity to make some noise this season, which is part of the reason why DB is 8-2. 

Edited by osunut2

I’ve always wondered what has happened to JeffCo. Shoot, when I was growing up and on into my High School days with the Spencer Riley teams and beyond in the 90s those boys were always tough to deal with. They just haven’t been the same since ole Kisabeth left for whatever reason. As you say though, that’s a huge HS. It seems they would be able to field a quality team every year there in Dandridge. My 2nd cousin was on that awesome 87 team. What a squad that was. One of the best teams this state has had to offer in the past 40 or so years still to this day IMO.

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

A similar question could probably be asked about Morristown West. What is going on there??

Patriot, I think you guys are just in a tough situation, given your size. To get to the playoffs, you'll always have to deal with other large metro schools like DB, Science Hill, Farragut, Bearden, and HVA. I think that automatically puts you at a disadvantage. That being said, Science Hill, HVA, Bearden, and Farragut were all down this year (plus Sevier Co and Mo West have been terrible). There was definitely an opportunity to make some noise this season, which is part of the reason why DB is 8-2. 

We never lost to a Big 9 school (upper East TN) in the playoffs until we were put in the same region with them. Bearden and Farragut were 1st and 2nd round victims. I have watched them for almost 35 years and have seen 2 big issues arise. First, discipline. I bet the teams the last few years have averaged 5+ post-whistle penalties and 5 pre-snap penalties. Second, toughness. Jeff use to line up and whip you. Now, it is not that.

7 minutes ago, Red81KPsmash said:

We never lost to a Big 9 school (upper East TN) in the playoffs until we were put in the same region with them. Bearden and Farragut were 1st and 2nd round victims. I have watched them for almost 35 years and have seen 2 big issues arise. First, discipline. I bet the teams the last few years have averaged 5+ post-whistle penalties and 5 pre-snap penalties. Second, toughness. Jeff use to line up and whip you. Now, it is not that.

Yes, those big, bruising offensive lines were hard to deal with. They’d pretty much tell you where they were gonna run and dare ya to try and stop it. Big ole corn fed hosses.

Edited by SweetScience

52 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

I’ve always wondered what has happened to JeffCo. Shoot, when I was growing up and on into my High School days with the Spencer Riley teams and beyond in the 90s those boys were always tough to deal with. They just haven’t been the same since ole Kisabeth left for whatever reason. As you say though, that’s a huge HS. It seems they would be able to field a quality team every year there in Dandridge. My 2nd cousin was on that awesome 87 team. What a squad that was. One of the best teams this state has had to offer in the past 40 or so years still to this day IMO.

We don’t talk about that team either! :ph34r:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Red81KPsmash said:

We never lost to a Big 9 school (upper East TN) in the playoffs until we were put in the same region with them. Bearden and Farragut were 1st and 2nd round victims.

I'm not questioning your past, it speaks for itself. But look at what has happened against like-sized schools since the turn of the century. You've beaten DB once (2015). You haven't beaten Bearden since 2004. You haven't beaten Farragut or HVA at all. You have beaten Sevier Co 8 times, Mo West 5 times, and Science Hill 4 times, so there's that. What I've witnessed over the past ~20 years is that the big Knox-area schools have gotten better (HVA is still a work in progress), and in your current region, that makes things challenging when you also have to deal with DB and SH year in and year out. 

Just one man's opinion.

2 hours ago, osunut2 said:

I'm not questioning your past, it speaks for itself. But look at what has happened against like-sized schools since the turn of the century. You've beaten DB once (2015). You haven't beaten Bearden since 2004. You haven't beaten Farragut or HVA at all. You have beaten Sevier Co 8 times, Mo West 5 times, and Science Hill 4 times, so there's that. What I've witnessed over the past ~20 years is that the big Knox-area schools have gotten better (HVA is still a work in progress), and in your current region, that makes things challenging when you also have to deal with DB and SH year in and year out. 

Just one man's opinion.

No doubt Knoxville has gotten better. The game has changed to more spread passing game which exposes JC’s greatest weakness, speed. But I don’t understand how all the other schools have gotten better and JC hasn’t. A lot of factors, some seen and others not.  Just frustrating

53 minutes ago, Red81KPsmash said:

No doubt Knoxville has gotten better. The game has changed to more spread passing game which exposes JC’s greatest weakness, speed. But I don’t understand how all the other schools have gotten better and JC hasn’t. A lot of factors, some seen and others not.  Just frustrating

Absolutely agree.  

3 hours ago, GoPats2019 said:

There was a time when Jefferson County and Lincoln County were 2 schools you didn't want to see in the playoffs. 

Probably my first big moment as a Oakland fan growing up was being there for their 1st win at the Pit in 1998. I dont know if my heart could have taken playing LC twice that year like Riverdale did