Jefferson County High School

1OldPatriot

7 minutes ago, HTV said:

Pretty sure this is his fourth year as the head coach at Jeff Co.  He was there in 2016 when I worked the Maryville at JeffCo game, and if memory serves that was his first year back there.  

It doesn't appear he's making any headway in turning the program around if this is his fourth year, especially playing in a Region that is average at best.  JC is a huge school, so I'm surprised there's not enough talent in the county to at least be competitive.

3 minutes ago, blitzinbuc said:

Who all is on his staff? 

Some guy named Hodges is the OC (and from what I hear runs the program). Not impressed by the product. Had succes running the ball, but wanted to throw it a lot without much arm talent or WR talent. The center is huge and a good player, The left side of the OL was pretty good. The right, not so much.

I am not sure who the DC is (maybe Trevor Denton), but they got worse as the year went on. Mark Moore (a former player at JC and Appy St) coached the DBs who were constantly put in man coverage and struggled. Jonathan Brimer (former player and son of long time assistant) and Bill Delozier are also on staff in some capacity.

• Like 1

Just now, 1OldPatriot said:

Some guy named Hodges is the OC (and from what I hear runs the program). Not impressed by the product. Had succes running the ball, but wanted to throw it a lot without much arm talent or WR talent. The center is huge and a good player, The left side of the OL was pretty good. The right, not so much.

I am not sure who the DC is (maybe Trevor Denton), but they got worse as the year went on. Mark Moore (a former player at JC and Appy St) coached the DBs who were constantly put in man coverage and struggled. Jonathan Brimer (former player and son of long time assistant) and Bill Delozier are also on staff in some capacity.

DBs struggling is putting it mildly. They couldn’t cover the opponents cheerleaders, much less their WR. Early on (against 3 really bad teams), I thought the defense was pretty good. But that turned out not to be true.

Whoever is in charge of Special Teams should be looking for a job. The kickoff coverage was abysmal all year. How many returns past the 50 do you have to give up before you quit kicking it deep? Apparently 3 a game isn’t enough. Don’t get me started on the BS punt team alignment. You get 3 punts blocked in the Beardan game and don’t change it? Get 2 more blocked and a few others affected.

23 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I should probably create another thread for this, but is it truly worth it? That's certainly debatable.

And that's a great question.  

A large, large majority of the public schools are solid.  But just like every other profession, there are bad apples in education.  

But those aren't limited to just public schools, either.  

Like I have said before, I am all for parental choice in education, and it's not an easy decision to make in this day and time.  

45 minutes ago, HTV said:

And that's a great question.  

A large, large majority of the public schools are solid.  But just like every other profession, there are bad apples in education.  

But those aren't limited to just public schools, either.  

Like I have said before, I am all for parental choice in education, and it's not an easy decision to make in this day and time.  

School choice / school voucher is the only way we are going to fix American public schools

17 minutes ago, 1OldPatriot said:

School choice / school voucher is the only way we are going to fix American public schools 

I'm up for debate. On the surface, I get why vouchers are appealing in a free-market economy and in low-income/low-performing school districts. But in many cases, vouchers (like charter schools) only exacerbate the problem that currently exists. For starters, public funds are the source for these vouchers, so you might as well stop paying your property taxes. I can't speak for all metro areas that utilize voucher programs, but I'm familiar with 3 such programs - Milwaukee, DC, and Columbus (OH). In all three cases, zero correlation exists between the implementation of voucher programs and improved student performance. Milwaukee has been utilizing a voucher program for almost 2 decades, and the public school students still outperform the voucher students at every single grade level. The DC voucher program, which is a federally funded program, and the Columbus voucher program have yielded very similar results. I've read that other states have seen similar trends, but I can't speak specifically to any other programs.

Parents should have a choice, but not at my expense as a municipal taxpayer. This is a pie in the sky vision, but I'm a huge advocate for community public schools; in order for those schools to thrive, the taxpayers in the community have to step up, send their children to their zoned school, be actively involved in the community, and be advocates for change (when needed).

If you want to "fix" our public schools, let's try becoming less reliant on metrics. We test our kids to no end, not for their benefit, but for the sake of metrics. This would also bring some teaching flexibility back to the classroom, along with some less rigid standards/rubrics.

Kids can learn in a barn, as long as a safe, strong support system is present.