Jefferson County High School

1OldPatriot

44 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I'm up for debate. On the surface, I get why vouchers are appealing in a free-market economy and in low-income/low-performing school districts. But in many cases, vouchers (like charter schools) only exacerbate the problem that currently exists. For starters, public funds are the source for these vouchers, so you might as well stop paying your property taxes. I can't speak for all metro areas that utilize voucher programs, but I'm familiar with 3 such programs - Milwaukee, DC, and Columbus (OH). In all three cases, zero correlation exists between the implementation of voucher programs and improved student performance. Milwaukee has been utilizing a voucher program for almost 2 decades, and the public school students still outperform the voucher students at every single grade level. The DC voucher program, which is a federally funded program, and the Columbus voucher program have yielded very similar results. I've read that other states have seen similar trends, but I can't speak specifically to any other programs.

Parents should have a choice, but not at my expense as a municipal taxpayer. This is a pie in the sky vision, but I'm a huge advocate for community public schools; in order for those schools to thrive, the taxpayers in the community have to step up, send their children to their zoned school, be actively involved in the community, and be advocates for change (when needed).

If you want to "fix" our public schools, let's try becoming less reliant on metrics. We test our kids to no end, not for their benefit, but for the sake of metrics. This would also bring some teaching flexibility back to the classroom, along with some less rigid standards/rubrics.

Kids can learn in a barn, as long as a safe, strong support system is present.

Understand that point of view, and I agree with much of it.  

By I can't get past the "public funds" thing, either.  Taxes aren't optional.  And if my kids (actually now my grandkids) aren't getting what they need educationally then I have no recourse. 

I am for vouchers, but not necessarily a dollar for dollar vouchers.  I realize the public schools have to be funded.  But if my kids (grandkids) aren't in public schools then they aren't costing the city or county money.  I'd be fine with a partial voucher to help fund their private/parochial school bill.  

It's certainly a complicated question and with the divide politically today that division on what public schools should or shouldn't be providing is going to get even wider.  

And an edit:  Like I said earlier, most in public education are doing things the right way, and my issue certainly isn't with the teachers in the classrooms nor the in the school building administrators.  

My issue is that there are way too many non-teaching type administrators in central offices that are draining way too much money from the classrooms.  Many of those positions are just not necessary and could be consolidated or completely eliminated.  

Edited by HTV

2 hours ago, HTV said:

By I can't get past the "public funds" thing, either.  Taxes aren't optional.  And if my kids (actually now my grandkids) aren't getting what they need educationally then I have no recourse. 

I am for vouchers, but not necessarily a dollar for dollar vouchers.  I realize the public schools have to be funded.  But if my kids (grandkids) aren't in public schools then they aren't costing the city or county money.  I'd be fine with a partial voucher to help fund their private/parochial school bill.   

It's certainly a complicated question and with the divide politically today that division on what public schools should or shouldn't be providing is going to get even wider.  

And an edit:  Like I said earlier, most in public education are doing things the right way, and my issue certainly isn't with the teachers in the classrooms nor the in the school building administrators.  

My issue is that there are way too many non-teaching type administrators in central offices that are draining way too much money from the classrooms.  Many of those positions are just not necessary and could be consolidated or completely eliminated.  

All good points. I think there is a lot of good discussion that can be had regarding this issue. It is certainly a complex one.

3 hours ago, HTV said:

There is a lot of wasted money in education, mostly in central offices. Also, I think the federal influence on educational practices has ruined a lot of schools. Thanks Jimmy Carter.