AAA Rankings are now posted

Hamm

On 11/8/2019 at 11:16 AM, durdon said:

Keveyon Roller is there also.  It’s a shame that both Roller and Ivy can not compete at individual states this year.  A Roller v Corday would have been a heck of a state final and putting Ivy in at 20 would have made that weight really exciting with Dlyrimple, Braman and Ivy. 

Lakeway Christian received a large multi million donation from a donor last year to build sports programs at the school.  They hired Tony Deangelo who has built a really strong youth program in East TN as their wrestling coach. I think Tony is one of the best coaches in the state so I expect that he will build a D2 power wrestling program over the next few years. 

So, they can wrestle during the regular season but not postseason? Are the freshman kids here allowed to wrestle at the individual state tournament?

1 hour ago, FargoStrut said:

So, they can wrestle during the regular season but not postseason? Are the freshman kids here allowed to wrestle at the individual state tournament?

Yes, all Freshman and 8th graders that are eligible to wrestle HS are allowed to wrestle at Individual TN state tournament. 

On 11/7/2019 at 9:18 PM, PurpleWrestler said:

Wow, that is so wrong

If that is wrong what about the boarding schools that are able to pluck a kid from any public or private school around the country and they become eligible immediately so long as they board

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cbg said:

If that is wrong what about the boarding schools that are able to pluck a kid from any public or private school around the country and they become eligible immediately so long as they board

that is exactly what I was eluding to. So a kid goes to a brand new school, and can't wrestle, but state champions can be recruited to a school, and because they have "boarding" they can? How is that fair?

Edited by PurpleWrestler
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, PurpleWrestler said:

that is exactly what I was eluding to. So a kid goes to a brand new school, and can't wrestle, but state champions can be recruited to a school, and because they have "boarding" they can? How is that fair?

That is just another TSSAA rule that is antiquated and should be changed.  The problem is the TSSAA is operated by educational bureaucrats that don't have a clue as to how a multi million dollar business should operate.  They always react to situations, never have they looked forward and recognized potential problems.  

22 minutes ago, cbg said:

That is just another TSSAA rule that is antiquated and should be changed.  The problem is the TSSAA is operated by educational bureaucrats that don't have a clue as to how a multi million dollar business should operate.  They always react to situations, never have they looked forward and recognized potential problems.  

totally agree, they really need to address some of these issues, and make some changes. Only way this will ever be any where close to an even playing field. 

On 12/1/2019 at 1:22 PM, PurpleWrestler said:

I agree 100%.   There should not be any transfer restrictions at all.  Let the kids move to the schools that are going to give them the best opportunity to excel in their sport and give them the best chance possible to continue their sport in college if they do choose. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, durdon said:

I agree 100%.   There should not be any transfer restrictions at all.  Let the kids move to the schools that are going to give them the best opportunity to excel in their sport and give them the best chance possible to continue their sport in college if they do choose. 

then you are opening a whole other can of worms, and the reason they have some of the rules in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, durdon said:

I agree with this, it should be about the student athlete and participation in the sport.  

7 hours ago, PurpleWrestler said:

then you are opening a whole other can of worms, and the reason they have some of the rules in the first place. 

No, we have the rules in place because coaches get upset when students leave there program to go to programs where the coaches that are dedicated and work harder than they do and the programs have more support. Every sport from football, softball, volleyball, wrestling etc.  has about 10 high school programs through out the state that are really dedicated to that sport.  Why not let the top kids in that sport go to those programs?  

Youth sports today is a multi-billion dollar industry and parents are traveling the country and spending obscene amounts of money on private lessons and camps.  We are starting to see that those parents are going to do whatever they have to to get their kids into a program that is dedicated to the sport their child does. We are going to start seeing more and more parents making choices to either completely move or send their kid to a boarding school to circumvent these asinine  archaic HS transfer rules that serve no purpose other than to protect lazy coaches and programs. 
if there were no transfer rules in place then each area would get 1 dominate program where the top kids in that sport would end up at.  Kids would easily drive an hour to attend a school that had coaches and other players committed to their sport.  

Derek would get every decent wrestler within an hour drive to CBHS since he is the hardest working coach and CBHS has the strongest fan base in that area.  The top 10 programs in every sport are going to still be the same top 10 programs we have today, they are just going to be a lot better and maybe you create a league just for them in that sport.  

If you did that then all of the regular programs would all be on equal footing as they wouldn’t have a single athlete that could allow them to dominate while they were there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, PurpleWrestler said:

up-vote times 100

13 hours ago, texas23 said:

I agree with this, it should be about the student athlete and participation in the sport.  

I would argue that removing all transfer rules would be very harmful to the "student athletes".

• Like 1