AAA Rankings are now posted

Hamm

This is coming from a athletes father at a Private School, doesn't surprise me the mentality. They are allowed to abide by different rules than those at public school.

Absolutely insane they can recruit kids with ZERO penalty. Is this fair to the hard working coaches that try to build programs the right way? 

How good are Baylor, McCallie, Father Ryan, etc.....MS and Club programs?

2 hours ago, Rasslinking said:

This is coming from a athletes father at a Private School, doesn't surprise me the mentality. They are allowed to abide by different rules than those at public school.

Absolutely insane they can recruit kids with ZERO penalty. Is this fair to the hard working coaches that try to build programs the right way? 

How good are Baylor, McCallie, Father Ryan, etc.....MS and Club programs?

Their club programs are good with Father Ryan (Nashville Catholic) being the best one out of that group right now. I doubt they keep all of the ones they had in their club last year for HS, but they'll get the best ones for sure.

On 12/2/2019 at 12:40 PM, durdon said:

I agree 100%.   There should not be any transfer restrictions at all.  Let the kids move to the schools that are going to give them the best opportunity to excel in their sport and give them the best chance possible to continue their sport in college if they do choose. 

Actually, the athlete has 100% control on the school they choose to attend, it's "transferring" that is the issue. Which means, if athletics is your primary concern, you better do your homework upfront. I know I did when it came to education, which what I think most people do.

5 hours ago, PurpleWrestler said:

Actually, the athlete has 100% control on the school they choose to attend, it's "transferring" that is the issue. Which means, if athletics is your primary concern, you better do your homework upfront. I know I did when it came to education, which what I think most people do.

Who cares?  Let the kids transfer if they want to.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sx1234 said:

Do they want to? Or does an adult (other than a parent) want them to?  That's one of the main reasons why the majority of transfer rules exist. 

While I understand what you are saying the problem is that the TSSAA transfer rules were written in the 1960's when most student athletes lived with both parents.  With the divorce rate at over 50% those rules probably do need to revisited and changed.  I have always been an advocate of allowing student athletes that reside in the State of Tennessee one free transfer regardless on the circumstances.  After the one free transfer they must show a legitimate change of address.  The issue I have with boarding schools (Tennessee only has 3 or 4) is that if they need a QB or 6'10" center they can recruit all over the country to find that one stud athlete they need.  If they are ambitious they could potentially have a whole team of recruited athletes.  No other public or private day schools are able to compete with the later even if they tried.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cbg said:

While I understand what you are saying the problem is that the TSSAA transfer rules were written in the 1960's when most student athletes lived with both parents.  With the divorce rate at over 50% those rules probably do need to revisited and changed.  I have always been an advocate of allowing student athletes that reside in the State of Tennessee one free transfer regardless on the circumstances.  After the one free transfer they must show a legitimate change of address.  The issue I have with boarding schools (Tennessee only has 3 or 4) is that if they need a QB or 6'10" center they can recruit all over the country to find that one stud athlete they need.  If they are ambitious they could potentially have a whole team of recruited athletes.  No other public or private day schools are able to compete with the later even if they tried.

I agree that rules need to be changed.  Its odd how every sport makes small rule changes on the national level every single year, yet bodies that govern those sports on the secondary level won't make necessary changes for decades. I don't know if I agree with you on the 1 free transfer for all, as I think that could potentially be taken advantage of, but I believe I would agree with you on most. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/2/2019 at 1:40 PM, durdon said:

I agree 100%.   There should not be any transfer restrictions at all.  Let the kids move to the schools that are going to give them the best opportunity to excel in their sport and give them the best chance possible to continue their sport in college if they do choose. 

This is an issue I see here, first if you are transferring to a school because of sports you have a problem! Now if you said something about the best possible education possible while allowing little Johnny the best possible way forward with their chosen sport that’s fine. However what happens if little Johnny can’t stay healthy, what happens if he wakes up tomorrow and has a medical issue that no longer allows him to participate in their sport(blood clots, previously unfound heart condition)? If you base things solely upon sports you are doing more harm than good for their future.

I would much rather my sons focus on their academic future compared to the sport future because sport future can limit exactly what they want to do. I have one that stayed public school made a 31 on ACT going to a school with no wrestling program but will be an electrical engineer, what if schools that were wanting him sports wise didn’t offer engineering? I have my youngest now that went to a camp at McCallie this past summer, he loved it there and is a pretty dang good soccer player. He’s also pretty dang bright like his brother. If he goes to a private school it will be for the education, because if he blows out both knees one day or ends up with a previously unfound medical condition he no longer can participate in his chosen sport, but hopefully that big brain of his will allow him to attend any school he chooses for whatever job he intends to want to work.  

As far as transfer the main focus should be on academics if it’s on sports you have issues and I don’t feel sorry for a kid that has to sit a year in their sport because of the transfer. For me actually I would like it to be one semester and if proven by their grades that they have acclimated to the new academic challenges and the school they now attend they can be eligible. If they don’t prove that that sit the year and will be ready for the next season.

And for the record my son attended McCallie for a CAD and 3D printing camp this summer, had nothing to do with sports and if he was to attend McCallie it would not be mentioned either until he joined the soccer team itself for his 6th grade year. 

On 11/4/2019 at 7:45 PM, Hamm said:

Hey Coach Hamm was going to see about the girls rankings this year kinda curious to see who the East region has on their side since 5 people from the same region can’t go to state so they can’t be ranked also at 190 both creekwood girls are ranked but won’t be able to wrestle in the region tournament