Lincoln Co.’s New Head Coach

bobcat93

At some point, LC is going to have to go away from hiring people with connections to the school and bring in the best up and coming assistant they can get. Someone to get the school excited, numbers up and a strong S&C program ( I sound like LOD) while also building the program from the bottom on up

Edited by MidTennFootball
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Tata said:

What about OC the head coach at Giles. He's a Lincoln guy that is a good recruiter and would get those FV to play at LC. Not trying to be disrespectful

I wish LC the best but who their coach is will not pull City kids over.  I hope whoever does get it doesn't plan on pulling kids over to win.  If winning hinges on that then who the coach is doesn't matter.  The whole idea of hurting one program to benefit the other is a big problem down here.  You just mentioned the same mentality in your post with "get those FV to play at LC."  It starts with the middle schools.  There are 5 that feed LC.  It will take some years but you have got to get those 20 or more incoming freshman from those schools to participate and success will follow.  I know what is down here and I feel like there is no reason we can't be like an Alcoa and Maryville with City and LC.  Something like that takes time and everyone here wants results now.  I want both to be successful.

• Like 1

I think getting a Lincoln County guy is part of the problem. They should hire an “outsider” that is able to relate to the players. They need to make football fun again. They have a lot of kids who don’t play because football is more of a job than a game.  Yes, football is a lot of hard work, so having a coach the players love and respect is critical to building a strong program long term.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 93grad said:

I wish LC the best but who their coach is will not pull City kids over.  I hope whoever does get it doesn't plan on pulling kids over to win.  If winning hinges on that then who the coach is doesn't matter.  The whole idea of hurting one program to benefit the other is a big problem down here.  You just mentioned the same mentality in your post with "get those FV to play at LC."  It starts with the middle schools.  There are 5 that feed LC.  It will take some years but you have got to get those 20 or more incoming freshman from those schools to participate and success will follow.  I know what is down here and I feel like there is no reason we can't be like an Alcoa and Maryville with City and LC.  Something like that takes time and everyone here wants results now.  I want both to be successful.

Don't be naïve.   Whoever gets that job will definitely try and make their program more attractive to get the better athletes that are choosing Fayetteville City School over LC.   Any Coach that didn't covet the best available athletes is doomed to fail before they start.   Not trying to be mean, just being honest.

42 minutes ago, FridayMainEvent said:

Don't be naïve.   Whoever gets that job will definitely try and make their program more attractive to get the better athletes that are choosing Fayetteville City School over LC.   Any Coach that didn't covet the best available athletes is doomed to fail before they start.   Not trying to be mean, just being honest.

I agree 100%.  The way it seems here is LC can't be successful without those kids.  That is what I do not agree with.  It is an excuse to me.  If you only get 4 incoming freshman from each of the 5 middle schools each year, that's 20 kids.  In a few years that's 60-80 kids on the roster.  The key is keeping them and pulling more out of the halls.  The kids are there but you can't year in and year out keep blaming the city system for low numbers and bad seasons.  I really do hope they can get someone that can turn it all around but for the near future pulling city kids over doesn't need to figure into the formula.  That will allow whoever it is to continue using the "all the skill kids are at city" excuse.  Work the middle schools and get them out of the halls. 

2 minutes ago, LawandOrder said:

Let’s just keep in real here.  Lincoln County will never achieve the success that it experienced in the past.

I agree that LC will never achieve multiple state championships anytime soon. Not sure it really matters about where the coach comes from. Volfan123 is right that the key to success for LC is keeping younger kids engaged and getting kids walking the halls to play. Any coach (experience or young assistant) can do that! Community support is also key to success. The community needs to get behind anybody that is hired.

52 minutes ago, LawandOrder said:

Let’s just keep in real here.  Lincoln County will never achieve the success that it experienced in the past.

I largely agree. The opening of Fayetteville High totally changed the dynamic of HS football in that area. A similar thing has happened to Dickson County after Creek Wood opened, although the growth expected in that county could change things in the future. 

I’m sure Lincoln County can still have some good years here and there with the right nucleus of players, but yeah, anyone hoping to recapture past glory is chasing ghosts. 

I only say this because I get it. We pretty much are what Lincoln Co used to be, and I know how hard a 2nd high school would hit us, especially if it took away the talent feeding from our city middle school. I wish LC the best.