Lebanon (5-5) @ #1 Oakland (10-0)

GoPats2019

On 11/7/2019 at 7:46 PM, mondo44 said:

I think they will put Rossview in the Wilco district.  I believe none of the Wilson County schools will drop to 5A.  As far as Sumner County goes no idea.  It could be any combination of the 4 being in 6-A or 5-A.  

I think there will be alot change to the regions in 6A.

There are 8 teams in Rutherford Co. that will likely be in 6A. Then you have other teams in that area in Coffee Co., Cookeville and Warren Co.

In Wilson County you have 3 right now and another coming into the mix in 2020 that they will have to account for going forward.

Sumner County is likely gonna have Gallatin, Beech and Hendersonville in 6A and Station Camp in 5A. Plus another high school coming in 2020 to account for so who knows on that one.

45 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

You know you got it good when you win 34-0, hold a team to under 80 yards of total offense and people think something is wrong

Oh I am not griping.  Just wasn't at the game and wondered why the score was so low.  If the starters were not in there long, the less chance they could get hurt and be fresh for the later rounds.

Just now, Lost Old Dad said:

Oh I am not griping.  Just wasn't at the game and wondered why the score was so low.  If the starters were not in there long, the less chance they could get hurt and be fresh for the later rounds.

Like WC, Lebanon held the ball for as much as they could and practically emptied their playbook, believe they used 4 different qb's. Oakland did try to rotate in some more players in the 2nd half

22 hours ago, MJGOLDENBEARS said:

Lebanon has a terrible offense as does Wilson Central.

I called it during the offseason that Lebanon's offense would bog them down this year. They are good on defense. But they have struggled on offense. Last year they were lucky to have a D1 caliber player at Quarterback. That wasn't the case this year and it showed.

They also killed themselves with penalties at times this year. They have players that are talented athletes but with terrible discipline. One of their best players I've seen bail them out with a big play and then turn around and allow the opponent to gain it right back with stupid penalties or turnovers. I'm talking about punching a guy in the facemask after stopping the offense on 3rd and 12. I'm talking about diving to catch a punt at the 2-yard line and muffing it with 2 defenders standing right there (Chuck Gentry looked like you could boil water on his head). Just stupid football.

On 11/9/2019 at 10:24 AM, MidTennFootball said:

Like WC, Lebanon held the ball for as much as they could and practically emptied their playbook, believe they used 4 different qb's. Oakland did try to rotate in some more players in the 2nd half

The Quarterback thing wasn't something just for Oakland. They have been doing that for most of the second half of the season trying to get something going on offense.

8 minutes ago, steelcityroller said:

I called it during the offseason that Lebanon's offense would bog them down this year. They are good on defense. But they have struggled on offense. Last year they were lucky to have a D1 caliber player at Quarterback. That wasn't the case this year and it showed.

They also killed themselves with penalties at times this year. They have players that are talented athletes but with terrible discipline. One of their best players I've seen bail them out with a big play and then turn around and allow the opponent to gain it right back with stupid penalties or turnovers. I'm talking about punching a guy in the facemask after stopping the offense on 3rd and 12. I'm talking about diving to catch a punt at the 2-yard line and muffing it with 2 defenders standing right there (Chuck Gentry looked like you could boil water on his head). Just stupid football.

The Quarterback thing wasn't something just for Oakland. They have been doing that for most of the second half of the season trying to get something going on offense.

I was eluding more to the fact they were trying to hold the ball as much as they could to limit Oakland's possession, something Warren Co with some success. Only problem is Oakland doesn't need the ball long to score so just taking out the possibility be of being to score 40 plus points

On 11/6/2019 at 9:00 AM, GoPats2019 said:

Oakland averaged 55ppg and gave up less than 8ppg. Their closest game was 17pt win vs. their arch-rival.

They played 9 running clock games. 

Where's this weakness?

Slow starts to games and average teams being able to run between the tackles.  They have been able to overcome these on average to below average teams but how will the offense fair against the teams like Maryville or Whitehaven?  Oakland is very, very good but being at every home game and listening or watching the others I have seen some chinks in the armor.

55 minutes ago, ttitan27 said:

Slow starts to games and average teams being able to run between the tackles.  They have been able to overcome these on average to below average teams but how will the offense fair against the teams like Maryville or Whitehaven?  Oakland is very, very good but being at every home game and listening or watching the others I have seen some chinks in the armor.

Overcome???

You act like they've been challenged in some games. I guess they need to beat every team 70-0 for you to be impressed. 

Average ppg/score though 11 games...

2018: Oakland 47, Opponent 9

2019: Oakland 53, Opponent 7

Closest games in 2018 was a 3pt regular season loss to Maryville and 14pt win vs Blackman

Closest games in 2019 17pt win vs Riverdale and a 27pt win vs Germantown

Edited by GoPats2019

On 11/11/2019 at 8:42 AM, GoPats2019 said:

Overcome???

You act like they've been challenged in some games. I guess they need to beat every team 70-0 for you to be impressed. 

Average ppg/score though 11 games...

2018: Oakland 47, Opponent 9

2019: Oakland 53, Opponent 7

Closest games in 2018 was a 3pt regular season loss to Maryville and 14pt win vs Blackman

Closest games in 2019 17pt win vs Riverdale and a 27pt win vs Germantown

They have been challenged at times during games but never in real jeopardy of losing.  Oakland is good, very good and I'm a huge fan.  I've been at every home game for the last four years and work as a volunteer on game days for Oakland. 

Warren County's first drive of the game they ran it right down Oaklands throat like it was nothing.  I would call that a slow start and a challenge that Oakland didn't meet.  That being said, Oakland woke up and played and won big.  As they should.  My point is that Oakland is not perfect except in their record.  That is great but my concern is that teams like Warren County and Riverdale have shown some of the bigger programs that Oakland does indeed have some areas that may be exploitable.  I hope they have blowouts like last year in the semi and finals but I wouldn't expect it.  First thing they have to do is beat Mount Juliet.  I think they will pretty big but you never know.  MJ is not going to just roll over and play dead.  They will give it all they have because they have nothing to lose.

2 hours ago, ttitan27 said:

They have been challenged at times during games but never in real jeopardy of losing.  Oakland is good, very good and I'm a huge fan.  I've been at every home game for the last four years and work as a volunteer on game days for Oakland. 

Warren County's first drive of the game they ran it right down Oaklands throat like it was nothing.  I would call that a slow start and a challenge that Oakland didn't meet.  That being said, Oakland woke up and played and won big.  As they should.  My point is that Oakland is not perfect except in their record.  That is great but my concern is that teams like Warren County and Riverdale have shown some of the bigger programs that Oakland does indeed have some areas that may be exploitable.  I hope they have blowouts like last year in the semi and finals but I wouldn't expect it.  First thing they have to do is beat Mount Juliet.  I think they will pretty big but you never know.  MJ is not going to just roll over and play dead.  They will give it all they have because they have nothing to lose.

Again, 10 rolling clocks.