Reclassification 2020

Devilsx5

30 minutes ago, ocac said:

Gallatin is already in 5A.  They will move to 6A.  They already have 6A numbers.  Station Camp has 5A numbers right now.  Which direction will they go?  

Station Camp had 1619 in the 2017-18 school year, TDOE says. 

Edited by Indian

This is an interesting topic.  The reclassification will take effect in the fall of 2021.  If things hold the way they did the last turn in the fall of 2017 for the 4 year turn ending the spring of 21’, the enrollment numbers will be taken around September 1st 2020.  Several new schools have come on board since the last reclassification.  Liberty Creek, in Sumner County, won’t come online until fall of 22’.  Green Hills comes online in the fall of 20’.  Next year Mt. Juliet will be playing 6A with a much smaller enrollment.   I see people talking about having the ability to choose to play down as if it’s an option for those who struggle to win at current classification.  As far as I remember, you could only choose to move up after classes have been set.  Unlike the days of Super 32, nobody gets to move down just because someone moved up.  There will definitely be a different landscape beginning in 21’.

14 hours ago, osunut2 said:

I'm not really sure how to solve the overcrowding concerns in West Knox, short of building another high school on the west end of Farragut. Building HVA helped ease things at Farragut and Karns, but I don't see where you could get any other relief. 

Well if you build a new high school in West Knox County North of I-40 that will help for a while.  What about south of I-40. Then you would just have to build another one after they finish building all of those houses on the old turkey farm south of Northshore in the Bluegrass area. Any 5 acre tract in West Knox County is getting bought up to put houses on. Why not just plan on building 3 more in the future in West Knox County. Or the Knox County School Board could kick all of the HS zones East and fill up all of those other High Schools to the east. If they did that then nine of them would get reelected, especially the ones representing West High. They have their perfect diverse mix and the don't want to get too diverse. Old Bearden and Sequoyah Hills won't let that happen . Money talks and holds the rest of Knox County hostige. Simple answer in theory, but it won't work politically in practice.

11 hours ago, HTV said:

It was more about travel than it was about Catholic for Fulton.  AC was going to be the only nearby 4A school, meaning they would end up either traveling to UET or Chattanooga for region games, like AC has been doing.  

That's right htv  .. travel to Chattanooga.. is what they didnt want for all sports ....

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if they will make all 8 of Rutherford County 6a teams their own Region?

This at least would give Warren County, Coffee County, and Cookeville a break!

Only reason they have the split the way it is now is to give Metro Nashville more games with a decent away crowd coming in to boost their gates.

Edited by Lost Old Dad

1 hour ago, Lost Old Dad said:

I wonder if they will make all 8 of Rutherford County 6a teams their own Region?

This at least would give Warren County, Coffee County, and Cookeville a break!

Only reason they have the split the way it is now is to give Metro Nashville more games with a decent away crowd coming in to boost their gates.

That would depend on how many are in each classification and their location.  That would be great but not sure if it could happen.  

On 11/8/2019 at 1:20 PM, wave88 said:

This is an interesting topic.  The reclassification will take effect in the fall of 2021.  If things hold the way they did the last turn in the fall of 2017 for the 4 year turn ending the spring of 21’, the enrollment numbers will be taken around September 1st 2020.  Several new schools have come on board since the last reclassification.  Liberty Creek, in Sumner County, won’t come online until fall of 22’.  Green Hills comes online in the fall of 20’.  Next year Mt. Juliet will be playing 6A with a much smaller enrollment.   I see people talking about having the ability to choose to play down as if it’s an option for those who struggle to win at current classification.  As far as I remember, you could only choose to move up after classes have been set.  Unlike the days of Super 32, nobody gets to move down just because someone moved up.  There will definitely be a different landscape beginning in 21’.

SC will be 5A. Gallatin will Be 6A. Hendersonville and Beech will be around the cutoff of 5/6A. Springfield may very well move up as well, to 5A. 

*unless the Sumner County schools can petition based on the 2021 numbers being substantial lower than the 2020 numbers they will use for classification (if the new school opens)