James Wiseman ineligible

Indian

5 hours ago, WhereYouAt said:

Not a fan of how Memphis high school basketball runs at all. Example: Wooddale right now has a stacked team because kids teamed up and transferred there to play. Legitimate moves are a part of being eligible and just so easy in Metro areas. However, the TSSAA ( I can't believe I'm getting ready to defend them) ruled Wiseman ineligible when he moved to Memphis from Nashville and the court system over ruled TSSAA and ruled him eligible. The recent decision by the court actually rules in the favor of TSSAA on their original ruling on Wiseman. The TSSAA was right on this one.  

I don't belive the judge made Wiseman and Boyce eligible they just put an injunction in place. That's a little differnt than making them eligible.

I'm not sure what everyone was thinking. Yes, Memphis kids/schools transfer and lie all the time. It happens so much that the TSSAA can't get a handle on it and really don't put much effort into it. It really depends on the schools involved. It has happened for years but now it's a epidemic. 

The new coaching link rule was really going to hit basketball hard. It seems to have worked.

As legendary as Penny is there was no shame in the recruitment of kids at East. Sure kids wanna play for him, sure kids wanna win and dominate, but when the best talent is flocking to a public school that isn't considered anything special it gets noticed. 

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

False news is fake news. It may be in the news, but that does not make it real or true. As an example, Wiseman's career at Memphis is, in fact, not over and they may not have to forfeit any games whatsoever. Real news = truth

No fake news is news you don’t like or goes against you. Remember most of those stories Trump claimed were fake news all turned up in the mueller report because White House employees testified that those stories were true. Fact, Penny and James Wiseman cheated and they will both face the music at some point. That’s not Fake News cause the booster is Penny Hardaway. Penny paid for his move. Like I said before in most cases ncaa makes a player repay the extra benefit before he gets his eligibility back. But the person he has to repay is his head coach Penny Hardaway. 

https://dailymemphian.com/article/8808/court-rules-in-favor-of-tssaa-over-james-wiseman

A local chancellor has ruled in favor of the Tennessee Secondary Athletic Association regarding the eligibility of former East High players James Wiseman and Ryan Boyce.

On Oct. 3, Chancellor Jim Kyle's granted the TSSAA's motion for a summary judgment in the case, filed by Shelby County Schools, challenging the ruling that the players were ineligible. 

The ruling regarding Wiseman's high school eligibility is a separate matter from the NCAA's ruling last week that the 7-foot-1 center is "likely ineligible" to play for the University of Memphis under coach Penny Hardaway.

The TSSAA case involves Wiseman and Boyce transferring to East High, where Hardaway was the head coach. The TSSAA declared the players ineligible to play for East during the 2017-18 season based on the state’s “athletic coaching link” rule. The rule was adopted by the TSSAA in 2015. That "link" stems from the pair playing for Team Penny on the AAU circuit in the summer of 2017.

Boyce previously played for Houston High in Germantown, while Wiseman was a star for Ensworth in Nashville.

Boyce and Wiseman both are members of the Memphis Tigers team under Hardaway.

After the players were declared ineligible to play for East, Shelby County Schools sought and was granted a temporary injunction by Chancellor Kyle that allowed Boyce and Wiseman to play for the school during the 2017-18 season until the matter was settled by the court.

The TSSAA was denied summary judgment on the issue of whether it is subject to the open meetings act.

Shelby County Board of Education was granted summary judgment on the sole issue of whether the TSSAA is subject to the open meetings act.

“Further all injunctions and restraining orders granted in favor of SCBOE are dissolved,” the court ruled.

1 hour ago, mjuhb said:

No fake news is news you don’t like or goes against you. Remember most of those stories Trump claimed were fake news all turned up in the mueller report because White House employees testified that those stories were true. Fact, Penny and James Wiseman cheated and they will both face the music at some point. That’s not Fake News cause the booster is Penny Hardaway. Penny paid for his move. Like I said before in most cases ncaa makes a player repay the extra benefit before he gets his eligibility back. But the person he has to repay is his head coach Penny Hardaway. 

Can you give an example where the NCAA "makes" a player repay the extra benefit? I've never heard of that. 

16 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

Can you give an example where the NCAA "makes" a player repay the extra benefit? I've never heard of that. 

I guess you forgot about the time Terrell  Pryor sold items like his sportsmanship award in the 08 fiesta bowl and other items he sold. He had to repay for everything he sold off before he could get his eligibility back.

Edited by mjuhb

2 hours ago, mjuhb said:

Most of those Trump stories were false! How did that Mueller report wind up?! It went nowhere! Made up, fake news. As it relates to Wiseman, again you posted his career at Memphis was over and they will have to forfeit games. Complete fake news! Not true whatsoever. I deal in facts and truth.

6 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Most of those Trump stories were false! How did that Mueller report wind up?! It went nowhere! Made up, fake news. As it relates to Wiseman, again you posted his career at Memphis was over and they will have to forfeit games. Complete fake news! Not true whatsoever. I deal in facts and truth.

Fact, James Wiseman is ineligible until he wins his reinstatement case. 

26 minutes ago, mjuhb said:

I guess you forgot about the time Terrell  Pryor sold items like his sportsmanship award in the 08 fiesta bowl and other items he sold. He had to repay for everything he sold off before he could get his eligibility back.

Ohio State made Pryor ineligble because he wouldn't cooperate (anymore) with their investigate. 

He didn't gain his eligbilty back by paying back anything. 

Who else "paid back their benefit" to get their eligibilty back? 

35 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

Ohio State made Pryor ineligble because he wouldn't cooperate (anymore) with their investigate. 

He didn't gain his eligbilty back by paying back anything. 

Who else "paid back their benefit" to get their eligibilty back? 

Chase Young At Ohio State repaid a loan and it cost him 

5 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

I don't belive the judge made Wiseman and Boyce eligible they just put an injunction in place. That's a little differnt than making them eligible.

I'm not sure what everyone was thinking. Yes, Memphis kids/schools transfer and lie all the time. It happens so much that the TSSAA can't get a handle on it and really don't put much effort into it. It really depends on the schools involved. It has happened for years but now it's a epidemic. 

The new coaching link rule was really going to hit basketball hard. It seems to have worked.

As legendary as Penny is there was no shame in the recruitment of kids at East. Sure kids wanna play for him, sure kids wanna win and dominate, but when the best talent is flocking to a public school that isn't considered anything special it gets noticed. 

There's no shame in a kid wanting to play for a coach of Penny's stature... hire Coach K (or anyone else who's reputation is on a similar national level) at fill in the blank school, and kids will transfer in. The violation of TSSAA's policy occurred when Penny paid for the move, and for the school system to file an injunction against TSSAA's ruling just illuminates where their interest lies.

• Like 1