James Wiseman ineligible

Indian

6 hours ago, cbg said:

That is not what I am saying.  My feelings are that the times and family dynamics have changed since the TSSAA rules were written in the 1960's.  With more than 50% of all marriages ending in divorce kids do not live with both parents their entire academic career.  Often the student athlete is living with their mother and for whatever reason she cannot continue to care for the child so the grandparents who live on the other side of town have to care for the child.  Rural areas of Tennessee are much different from the inner cities and the problems they must deal with on a daily basis.

This scenario is covered... change of address, or apply for a hardship.

Edited by tradertwo

On 11/16/2019 at 8:56 PM, karl98 said:

Where there is smoke there is fire. Penny didn't think paying for moving expenses for a 200 mile move for a nationally ranked player was a violation? Did he also pay for housing in the East zone for Wiseman's family? 

Penny knew. 

Penny is a nice guy. No doubting that. He knows his impact in Memphis. He is also from Memphis and knows how things work here. He knew about Wiseman and his abilty. He used his AAU program to find players in the general area and some of them he wanted at East and some he didn't . He also had some big time national players from other areas that he knew couldn't move to East without a huge uproar.

The problem here is the NCAA not the TSSAA. The NCAA ruled Wiseman ineligible after he was deemed eligible and the $11,500 was disclosed. The NCAA is showing their ineptitude and how their egos can be bruised when someone comes in a shakes things up like Penny has.

32 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

Penny knew. 

Penny is a nice guy. No doubting that. He knows his impact in Memphis. He is also from Memphis and knows how things work here. He knew about Wiseman and his abilty. He used his AAU program to find players in the general area and some of them he wanted at East and some he didn't . He also had some big time national players from other areas that he knew couldn't move to East without a huge uproar.

The problem here is the NCAA not the TSSAA. The NCAA ruled Wiseman ineligible after he was deemed eligible and the $11,500 was disclosed. The NCAA is showing their ineptitude and how their egos can be bruised when someone comes in a shakes things up like Penny has.

I'm confused. There appears to have been a significant violation of a rule about boosters. The NCAA became aware of the potential violation. They declared player ineligible and began an investigation. I don't see how that makes the NCAA inept. What should they do  when a violation of this type appears to have occurred? 

There are plenty of examples of the NCAA bungling things.... at this point, I don't see what they've bungled.  

Edited by CAH09

1 minute ago, CAH09 said:

I'm confused. There appears to have been a significant violation of a rule about boosters. The NCAA became aware of the potential violation. They declared player ineligible and began an investigation. I don't see how that makes the NCAA inept. What should they do  when a violation of this type appears to have occurred? 

There are plenty of examples of the NCAA bungling things.... at this point, I don't see what they've bungled.  

Wiseman’s lawsuit stated the NCAA declared the center eligible in May after months of investigation and that Hardaway disclosed he gave $11,500 in moving expenses to help the player’s family move from Nashville to Memphis in the summer of 2017 — before Wiseman played at East High School as a junior for Hardaway. The university said in a statement that Wiseman didn’t know about the money given to his family.

The NCAA already investigated and said he was eligible. Now, he's ineligible? What did they investigate for months?

Almost all would be students are granted eligibility initially. If other info comes to light that when there can be problems.

According to the Commercial Appeal, The initial certification was made in May. Memphis was subsequently notified that there was a possible error made and an eligibility issue was possible. And that there would have to be further investigation. 

My point is I'm just not sure what else the NCAA can do when they become aware that there "may be" a significant rule violation by a head coach. I just don't see that they have much choice in this case regardless of any initial  eligibility granted or ungranted in the spring. 

Looks to me like they should have finished investigating and made a ruling way before November....but that's another topic.

6 minutes ago, CAH09 said:

Almost all would be students are granted eligibility initially. If other info comes to light that when there can be problems.

According to the Commercial Appeal, The initial certification was made in May. Memphis was subsequently notified that there was a possible error made and an eligibility issue was possible. And that there would have to be further investigation. 

My point is I'm just not sure what else the NCAA can do when they become aware that there "may be" a significant rule violation by a head coach. I just don't see that they have much choice in this case regardless of any initial  eligibility granted or ungranted in the spring. 

Looks to me like they should have finished investigating and made a ruling way before November....but that's another topic.

They knew in May after "months" of investigation that Penny gave the Wiseman family $11,500 becaue Penny told them. What else did they need to know? Why wait until the season has started to say, "Oh, sorry we messed up James Wiseman is ineligible"?

11 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

They knew in May after "months" of investigation that Penny gave the Wiseman family $11,500 becaue Penny told them. What else did they need to know? Why wait until the season has started to say, "Oh, sorry we messed up James Wiseman is ineligible"?

I have a better "why"... why would anyone on earth believe that It's OK for a coach (HS or College) to pay anything connected to one of his players? Bruce Pearl got busted for cooking a hamburger for some kids, and a local HS coach was caught for giving away a pair of socks... Penny sponsors a move in order for a player on his AAU team to come and play for him 200+ miles away (mind you for $10,000.00+, we're not talking gas money), and some people take the "what did he do wrong" stance... unbelievable! 

10 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I have a better "why"... why would anyone on earth believe that It's OK for a coach (HS or College) to pay anything connected to one of his players? Bruce Pearl got busted for cooking a hamburger for some kids, and a local HS coach was caught for giving away a pair of socks... Penny sponsors a move in order for a player on his AAU team to come and play for him 200+ miles away (mind you for $10,000.00+, we're not talking gas money), and some people take the "what did he do wrong" stance... unbelievable! 

A Pair of socks... What in the world? where they filled with money? LOL

Yeah... no way to defend what Coach Hardaway did at East. Sad. Especially for all the AAA teams that didn't cheat. 

13 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I am in no way defending what Hardaway did. 

I'm saying that the NCAA is a joke of an organization that justifies giving kids a "college education" (if they didn't have the scholarships they couldn't/wouldn't play) to make billions of $$$$. It is the exact picture of corporate America. Corporations make billions off the backs or people that are on government assistance or just scraping by. Those kids are the ones with talent and ability. Without the players, the NCAA doesn’t exist. We are the only country in the world that has this type of system for college athletics. 

Sean Miller still has a job at Arizona and he paid Deandre Ayton $10,000 a month. 

Penny knew exactly what he was doing when he helped him move. Just like he knew what he was doing when he brought kids to East. He just didn't care.

However, I don't think Penny knew they timeline to be the Coach at Memphis was going to be as fast as it was. Had Memphis not fired Tubby Smith, James Wiseman and DJ Jeffries would be at Kentucky, Alex Lomax would be at Wichita State, Ryan Boyce would be at UAB, and Tyler Harris would be at …..

7 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

I am in no way defending what Hardaway did. 

I'm saying that the NCAA is a joke of an organization that justifies giving kids a "college education" (if they didn't have the scholarships they couldn't/wouldn't play) to make billions of $$$$. It is the exact picture of corporate America. Corporations make billions off the backs or people that are on government assistance or just scraping by. Those kids are the ones with talent and ability. Without the players, the NCAA doesn’t exist. We are the only country in the world that has this type of system for college athletics. 

Sean Miller still has a job at Arizona and he paid Deandre Ayton $10,000 a month. 

Penny knew exactly what he was doing when he helped him move. Just like he knew what he was doing when he brought kids to East. He just didn't care.

However, I don't think Penny knew they timeline to be the Coach at Memphis was going to be as fast as it was. Had Memphis not fired Tubby Smith, James Wiseman and DJ Jeffries would be at Kentucky, Alex Lomax would be at Wichita State, Ryan Boyce would be at UAB, and Tyler Harris would be at …..

It was this didn't care mindset that created this whole situation not the NCAA.  Remember Penny said he didn't read the rule book he knew basketball.