Lopsided scores

Frontman

34 minutes ago, Frontman said:

Tonight’s first round games feature a slew of lopsided scores on teams that had no business in the playoffs. Too many classes!! And TSSAA wonders why football revenues are down. They need to do something about this travesty of terrible teams making playoffs. Even NCAA requires 6 wins!!! 

I agree with you.  Then a 2  -8 defending state champ Whitvuhl ( a 4th place seed) knocked off an undefeated 10 - 0 region champ on the road.   In addition, Gordonsville went 190 miles on the road to pull off the upset on the #2 seed at Copper Hill.

1 minute ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

The way I figure is with some of these games they about break even after paying the referees.  So who it really hurts are the teams that barely have a program and barely have the funds to travel 100 miles for a first round game.  

Gordy probably got the travel award for going 190 miles one way and the win!

A couple of upsets are not the rule but rather the exception.  Making playoffs should be a reward for a fairly successful season. Winning one or two games is not acceptable. 
and your right the TSSAA gets half the gate off the top. Some of these games do not make enough to meet expenses which causes a hardship on a lot of programs. 
who is going to pay to sit in bleachers in the cold and rain: and watch a team get beat by

50 or more points. 

What would you all suggest as a solution? Take reducing the amount of classifications off the table. 

Here is what I would propose: take for instance, Whitwell.  Yes, they are a 2-8 team that was the #4 seed in their region.  How about, if you are ranked in the top 4 in your region but you do not have let's say 4 or 5 wins, minimum, then you miss the playoffs.  The team in which you would have played gets a bye week.  I know giving bye weeks in the playoffs doesn't really do anything for the opponent that is missing out on the gate that week.  

31 minutes ago, Pizzpatriot2 said:

I say the top two teams in each region make the playoffs, just like the old days. Then, the winning record teams can play in bowl games.

We all know that most likely a 5-5 team isn't going to win the state.

It's not likely but it has happened in the past.

10 hours ago, Frontman said:

A couple of upsets are not the rule but rather the exception.  Making playoffs should be a reward for a fairly successful season. Winning one or two games is not acceptable. 
and your right the TSSAA gets half the gate off the top. Some of these games do not make enough to meet expenses which causes a hardship on a lot of programs. 
who is going to pay to sit in bleachers in the cold and rain: and watch a team get beat by

50 or more points. 

I agree with what your saying, but what your suggesting would be for coaches to schedule weaker opponents in order to make the playoffs. On the other hand a traditionally strong team would have a harder time filling non region schedules because people would know the loss may come at the cost of a playoff birth. What do you think?

Edited by Imthayeti

As I've said 100 times on this page the solution is rather simple. Top 3 from each region automatically qualify for the playoffs. 4 seeds will be wildcards furthest eastern team of the wildcard plays region 1 champ furthest western wildcard team plays region 8 and so on.  Is it perfect? No. But it would fix a lot of problems. 

• Upvote 1