Round 2 - Covington @ South Gibson

CHARGERFAN

Both teams are coming off blow-out wins in Round 1. You might think that SGC would be favored, since they are at home, and since they beat Covington in the regular season meeting between the two. Or, you might think that the # 1 seed in the Region should be favored over the # 3 seed.

However, here is a fact that only you and I know:

He’s baacckkk! 

After being injured, Covington’s All State Linebacker  Caleb Winfrey missed the previous game vs. SGC. Winfrey returned against Melrose and played much of the game. This guy makes a huge difference. It would not be stretching the truth to say that you should “Fear Number 5”.

Covington fans are looking forward to seeing y’all at SGC next week if we can find it.

Edited by CHARGERFAN
Added stuff
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, fanoffootball2013 said:

Should be a great ball game! Hope this turns out to be like the ride to Alamo in 2006 when the Chargers(3 seed) knocked off Crockett Co(1 seed) . Crocket was also ranked #1 in the state at the time. The Chargers will bring a crowd! See you guys next week.

I had forgotten about that CC win. Nice analogy. Let's see how this one turns out.

• Like 1

I look for Covington to pull out all the stops for this game! I also look for SG to be just as hungry! Should be a great game and I’m looking forward to heading to Medina next Friday! I need to know where the best local spot to eat is, I plan on supporting y’all’s economy with my belly before the game. GO CHARGERS!

8 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Both teams are coming off blow-out wins in Round 1. You might think that SGC would be favored, since they are at home, and since they beat Covington in the regular season meeting between the two. Or, you might think that the # 1 seed in the Region should be favored over the # 3 seed.

However, here is a fact that only you and I know:

He’s baacckkk! 

After being injured, Covington’s All State Linebacker  Caleb Winfrey missed the previous game vs. SGC. Winfrey returned against Melrose and played much of the game. This guy makes a huge difference. It would not be stretching the truth to say that you should “Fear Number 5”.

Covington fans are looking forward to seeing y’all at SGC next week if we can find it.

It will be a great game. I'm glad to hear your athlete is healthy and back on the field. Should  be no excuses after this game. I still believe that South Gibson is the better team and will come out on top. There's a lot to be said for the motivation that comes when your trying to avenge a regular season loss BUT there's also a ton of motivation that comes from being disrespected, overlooked, and underrated. I believe SGC would like nothing less than to leave no doubt about their worthiness in being the region champs in 7-3a. Everyone is 0 and 0 again and it's win or go home. It will be a tremendous atmosphere and the team that plays the best football game will win and live to fight again. 

1 hour ago, 00Chargers said:

I look for Covington to pull out all the stops for this game! I also look for SG to be just as hungry! Should be a great game and I’m looking forward to heading to Medina next Friday! I need to know where the best local spot to eat is, I plan on supporting y’all’s economy with my belly before the game. GO CHARGERS!

Rhodes Family Diner or Main Street Grill. Both are good. 

They say that Google is your friend. I have discovered a new term- PENTAPHOBIA. Perhaps South Gibson fans should read this:

What is Pentaphobia?

Pentaphobia is the fear of the number five. The origin of the word penta is Greek (meaning five) and phobia is Greek (meaning fear). Pentaphobia is considered to be a specific phobia, which is discussed on the home page. Just the thought writing or seeing the number five could cause a number of symptoms.

Since Covington linebacker Caleb Winfrey wears number 5, I predict an outbreak of Pentaphobia this coming Friday night in Medina. But, don't worry, this malady runs it's course in about two hours ( the length of a typical high school football game). It's effects end when the final horn sounds in the football game.

9 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

They say that Google is your friend. I have discovered a new term- PENTAPHOBIA. Perhaps South Gibson fans should read this:

What is Pentaphobia?

Pentaphobia is the fear of the number five. The origin of the word penta is Greek (meaning five) and phobia is Greek (meaning fear). Pentaphobia is considered to be a specific phobia, which is discussed on the home page. Just the thought writing or seeing the number five could cause a number of symptoms.

Since Covington linebacker Caleb Winfrey wears number 5, I predict an outbreak of Pentaphobia this coming Friday night in Medina. But, don't worry, this malady runs it's course in about two hours ( the length of a typical high school football game). It's effects end when the final horn sounds in the football game.

Lol. Doesn't matter what type of phobias the fans of any given team has, the only thing that matters is the players and how they play the game. One thing you can count on, these players fear no team and certainly fear no one player in particular...if you've watched them play all year I suspect you know this. Good luck, y'all gonna need it. 

12 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

What is Pentaphobia?

I believe Winfrey will definitely have a impact on the game. He makes everyone around him better. If our offense can do anything better than they did the first time we will be in the ballgame again.

7 minutes ago, Ironmaker said:

Lol. Doesn't matter what type of phobias the fans of any given team has, the only thing that matters is the players and how they play the game. One thing you can count on, these players fear no team and certainly fear no one player in particular...if you've watched them play all year I suspect you know this. Good luck, y'all gonna need it. 

Gotta love some good fan banter! I think we ALL know how evenly matched these teams are and that this will be a knock down, drag out fight. Nobody is gonna come into that stadium and dominate the other team. We all have tunnel vision when it comes to the teams we cheer for and I’m guilty as well. I think Covington will come out on top. It will no surprise me, however, if I’m wrong. I will say this though....I hope whoever wins THIS game goes on to the ship as I will be pulling for them the rest of the playoffs!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

Gotta love some good fan banter! I think we ALL know how evenly matched these teams are and that this will be a knock down, drag out fight. Nobody is gonna come into that stadium and dominate the other team. We all have tunnel vision when it comes to the teams we cheer for and I’m guilty as well. I think Covington will come out on top. It will no surprise me, however, if I’m wrong. I will say this though....I hope whoever wins THIS game goes on to the ship as I will be pulling for them the rest of the playoffs!

Well said. It will be a great contest and I'm hoping Milan pulls out a win too to set up the 3rd round rematch. IMO these three teams are evenly stacked across the board and any one of them will represent West TN football well when the games move to Mid TN. I'm an SGC guy to the bone though so it's GO HORNETS!!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

Good input. I have looked at the game via project-a-matchup and by sonny_moore power rankings. The latter picks Covington, the former picks SGC by the time they get 3 points for home field advantage. I expect a close game.

As I recall, the first game was tied 13-13 late in the 4th qtr. Covington was punting deep in our own end, and I was thinking "overtime". But, it wasn't to be - the Chargers had an issue on the punt snap where our punter went to a knee to field the snap. Ball down at that spot (inside the 10). As good teams do, SGC took advantage and scored to win 20-13. What happens if our punter gets the kick off? Who knows? It didn't happen. Still, that's how close the game was.

I want to win Friday, but I'll support whichever team from our region advances. I firmly believe that Region 7-3A is the best 3A region in the state. After all, the fifth place team in our region is sitting home with a 7-3 record.

• Upvote 1