Round 2 - Covington @ South Gibson

CHARGERFAN

30 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Good input. I have looked at the game via project-a-matchup and by sonny_moore power rankings. The latter picks Covington, the former picks SGC by the time they get 3 points for home field advantage. I expect a close game.

As I recall, the first game was tied 13-13 late in the 4th qtr. Covington was punting deep in our own end, and I was thinking "overtime". But, it wasn't to be - the Chargers had an issue on the punt snap where our punter went to a knee to field the snap. Ball down at that spot (inside the 10). As good teams do, SGC took advantage and scored to win 20-13. What happens if our punter gets the kick off? Who knows? It didn't happen. Still, that's how close the game was.

I want to win Friday, but I'll support whichever team from our region advances. I firmly believe that Region 7-3A is the best 3A region in the state. After all, the fifth place team in our region is sitting home with a 7-3 record.

Yes sir, I agree. I also hate to see a good McNairy team out of the equation but that's how jacked up the system is right  now. The last game between the Hornets and Chargers was a great football game to watch and SGC came out on top by capitalizing on mistakes...I expect this to be a very similar contest but my prediction is 17-7 Hornets. What's yours?

5 minutes ago, Ironmaker said:

Yes sir, I agree. I also hate to see a good McNairy team out of the equation but that's how jacked up the system is right  now. The last game between the Hornets and Chargers was a great football game to watch and SGC came out on top by capitalizing on mistakes...I expect this to be a very similar contest but my prediction is 17-7 Hornets. What's yours?

I'll predict Covington to win. I expect our D to hold y'all's score to 14 or less. Our O has added several tweaks since we last played. I think we will score 4 TD's, but our freshman kicker is learning. I'll say we get 1 extra point, for 25 total points. So 25-14 sounds right to me.

2 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I'll predict Covington to win. I expect our D to hold y'all's score to 14 or less. Our O has added several tweaks since we last played. I think we will score 4 TD's, but our freshman kicker is learning. I'll say we get 1 extra point, for 25 total points. So 25-14 sounds right to me.

We shall see...two things are for sure...one is either you or I will wind up being right and two a great football team will advance. Good luck my friend. 

• Like 1

I think this will be a one play game. 

Meaning, after the contest has gone final we are all going to say if you take away that one play the other team would have won. 

I would goto Main Street Grill in downtown Medina. They have the best burger and fries around IMO. 

I will agree that who ever represents this region I will support all the way!

It is hard to beat a good team twice. I hope SGC can pull it off. 

What offense does Covington come in?

48 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

I think this will be a one play game. 

Meaning, after the contest has gone final we are all going to say if you take away that one play the other team would have won. 

I would goto Main Street Grill in downtown Medina. They have the best burger and fries around IMO. 

I will agree that who ever represents this region I will support all the way!

It is hard to beat a good team twice. I hope SGC can pull it off. 

What offense does Covington come in?

Covington may run the wing-t or may run some option. Game film vs. Melrose would show what to expect. Based on some injuries at running back, I don't know who will be ready to go Friday night.

I can tell you that based on stats I saw last week, Covington is the leading rushing team in Shelby-Metro, at over 290 yards on the ground per game. I heard that we rushed for well over 300 vs. Melrose. 

I assume you knew that info on rushing. It has been the Chargers modus operandi for years. Passes by our QB are few and far between.

7 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Chargerfan,

is that stub running back I think he is #7 not going to play this week? I may have his number wrong but I remember playing yall a few weeks ago and thinking that he was the best back I had seen this year...

Well # 7 is Marcus Hayes. He sprained an ankle vs. McNairy County, sat out the second half,  and DNP vs. Melrose last week. I personally think that he was just held out last week because we didn't need him, but I don't have any official report on that. My guess is that if he's at all able to play, he will see action vs. SGC. 

For those who have forgotten how the regular season game between these two teams turned out, here's the Covington Leader article following that game:

Edited by CHARGERFAN

9 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:
For those who have forgotten how the regular season game between these two teams turned out, here's the Covington Leader article following that game:

Even though I was at that game, reading this article reassures me that if we play a clean game, we have a good shot of advancing! 14-4 on first downs in Covington’s favor, don’t remember that and 90 yards in big play penalties killed us also. Not to mention the punt mishap.

Edited by 00Chargers