Round 2 - Covington @ South Gibson

CHARGERFAN

South Gibson had their chance, chances to be more accurate. Numerous times in reality.

1st chance late 4th qtr less than 3- 4 minutes left Covington on their own 40 on 3rd down and 5 ytg or so  runs option & Cov QB just pitches it wat behind & way over RB's(pitch man) head, SGC defender has a chance(why he din't i don't know) to scoop/pick it up and run untouched  35-40 yards for go ahead game winning score with less than 2+ minutes to go in game. He didn't, Cov recovered it & retained poss.

Now it's 4th down & 15+ to go for 1st down on Cov's 35-40 or so,

While punting the snap then goes over Punter's head and he has no chance but to recover it for a 20-25 yard loss and give South Gibson the ball 1st & 10 on the 20yard line with 2 minutes left for the game. Couldn't ask for a better opportunity. 4 plays go NOWHERE. Ballgame

First, 

Congrats to the chargers! You guys did what you had to do to win the contest. Y'all won the game fair and square and no one can dispute that. The game was a pretty clean game that was not decided by officials ( thankfully! ) Also Thank you to charger fans that were nice, complimentary, and pleasant guests to the hornets nest. I will not be pulling for the Chargers all the way!

When the game started Covington basically gifted SGC 10 free points. That would be all the points SGC could muster. I have said all year long that Milan had the best D we have seen all year. I change that now. This games Chargers D is the best we have seen all year. I know for fact that Covington put in hours of prep work to get ready for this contest. It is hard to beat a good team twice and that proved to be true again tonight. After CHS scored the early 2 touchdowns SGC shut down the Chargers offense. This was a defensive struggle that went to the favor of the Chargers. 

Wow what a great game! Would anyone expect anything less from this region? The 3 seed is all that is remaining. 

I honestly thought that when the snap went over the punters head and SGC got the ball on the 20 we were going to score in just a few plays and win the game 17-14. Covington defense never blinked. Again tip my hat to the defensive performance of the Chargers. 

For my boys. Proud of you guys. Y'all are 5 points away from being 12-0 and on your way to the first quarter finals appearance in school history. Only 2 losses on the year are 1 point to Haywood and 4 points to Covington. I know that it did not end the way we wanted it to but there is still a lot to be said for what was done this season. This team is the first team to outright win the region in school history.

Good luck to the Chargers the rest of the season. 

GO HORNETS!  

• Like 1

First, I want to congratulate my Covington Chargers for advancing to the quarter-finals of the playoffs.

SGC started the game strong, with a sky kick (hadn't seen those since Rip Scherer was coaching the Memphis Tigers). We didn't cover it, so immediate turnover, followed by a SGC TD. 

Deja vu all over again, SGC does the same on the ensuing kickoff. Turnover, and SGC field goal. 

The good news for Charger fans is that our D gave up nothing else the rest of the night. See my earlier post about Pentaphobia, fear of the number 5. SGC now knows what this means. With Caleb Winfrey (no. 5) back on defense, our Charger defense is back playing at championship levels. Note that Caleb was injured and DNP in our season losses to Milan and SGC. 

I hope that we can build on this win and get momentum to advance again in the playoffs. Two more wins would put us in Cookeville for the third consecutive Championship game. Three more wins would bring home that elusive Gold Ball.

Now, for South Gibson County, congratulations on a great 10-2 season. Y'all broke some new ground winning the regular season Region 7-3A title. Playoff football is different,  but you guys played a great game tonight. You have nothing to be ashamed of. I think that playoff experience by your players and coaches will help you in the future

16 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

First, 

Congrats to the chargers! You guys did what you had to do to win the contest. Y'all won the game fair and square and no one can dispute that. The game was a pretty clean game that was not decided by officials ( thankfully! ) Also Thank you to charger fans that were nice, complimentary, and pleasant guests to the hornets nest. I will not be pulling for the Chargers all the way!

When the game started Covington basically gifted SGC 10 free points. That would be all the points SGC could muster. I have said all year long that Milan had the best D we have seen all year. I change that now. This games Chargers D is the best we have seen all year. I know for fact that Covington put in hours of prep work to get ready for this contest. It is hard to beat a good team twice and that proved to be true again tonight. After CHS scored the early 2 touchdowns SGC shut down the Chargers offense. This was a defensive struggle that went to the favor of the Chargers. 

Wow what a great game! Would anyone expect anything less from this region? The 3 seed is all that is remaining. 

I honestly thought that when the snap went over the punters head and SGC got the ball on the 20 we were going to score in just a few plays and win the game 17-14. Covington defense never blinked. Again tip my hat to the defensive performance of the Chargers. 

For my boys. Proud of you guys. Y'all are 5 points away from being 12-0 and on your way to the first quarter finals appearance in school history. Only 2 losses on the year are 1 point to Haywood and 4 points to Covington. I know that it did not end the way we wanted it to but there is still a lot to be said for what was done this season. This team is the first team to outright win the region in school history.

Good luck to the Chargers the rest of the season. 

GO HORNETS!  

Hey, thanks for the kind words, Million Dollar Man. I've enjoyed our banter back and forth, plus the chance to meet you in person. I forgot to get a darn autograph, though. Oh, well, I'll save that for next time.

I know this was a tough loss for your guys, but tell them the same thing that is always said about the NCAA tourney ..... everybody but one team is going home with a loss. They should be proud of a historic 10-2 season. It will look good in the record books and when good teams at your school are remembered.

I’ve definitely got a few more gray hairs after this one. The first kickoff I gave our guy the benefit of a doubt probably thinking that someone was coming up behind him to field that kickoff. The second he calls a fair catch and the ball bounces off his face mask....smh...but that happens in high school. The bad pitch from our QB that should have probably been scooped up for a SGC TD. And finally, the most important special teams play of the year so far results in a snap sailing 6 foot over our punter’s head and is recovered by SG inside the 20. SG had every chance in the world to win this game and played very good defense throughout. HOWEVER, with number 5 Healthy, I’ve always felt that this is probably the best defense Covington has had in a long time and boy they showed it tonight. This defense can play with anyone in the state. I hope they can continue to lead this team and help our young offense. Great game to both teams! Congrats on a great season SG! And GO CHARGERS beat Wooddale!