Milan @ Wooddale 2nd rd

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

2 hours ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

You lying to yourself saying Wooddale played a weak schedule : Briarcrest, Melrose, Lasanne and CBHS... and they beat Westview just as bad as Milan... 

Senator, 

My man. The fact that you would use Melrose as an example of why they have not played a weak schedule negates the entire point. Melrose, really? Covington just beat the brakes off of Melrose and Milan beat Covington. 

Briarcrest and CBHS both beat Woodale. 

The only quality win on the schedule is Lausanne. Not much quality but they are at least 6-4. 

They rest of the schedule is total trash. 

Not being mean spirited, nor do I wish any ill will. Also, not taking anything away from the Cardinals. They can only play who is on their schedule and their schedule is weak.  

3 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

Senator, 

My man. The fact that you would use Melrose as an example of why they have not played a weak schedule negates the entire point. Melrose, really? Covington just beat the brakes off of Melrose and Milan beat Covington. 

Briarcrest and CBHS both beat Woodale. 

The only quality win on the schedule is Lausanne. Not much quality but they are at least 6-4. 

They rest of the schedule is total trash. 

Not being mean spirited, nor do I wish any ill will. Also, not taking anything away from the Cardinals. They can only play who is on their schedule and their schedule is weak.  

They played good teams... at least 4... and I guess they'll be getting their 2nd quality win Friday :mrgreen:

1 minute ago, ManOfMillions said:

Milan does in fact have 5 losses this season. The combined records of the teams that beat Milan as of today are 49 wins and 5 losses. So Milan and Woodale have not played even similar schedules.  

Milan kept losing to GOOD teams and sounds like, IF Woodale beats Milan then they will be considered a good team, right?

48 minutes ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

Most of the inner city schools aka Former Memphis City Schools don't have on Campus stadiums. It's funny that you brought up Melrose's stadium, which was one of the first in the City to get Field Turf due to Alumni donations, they have to WALK from the HS to the stadium. I figured you knew that most inner city schools that weren't once majority white or out in the county didn't have their own stadiums. No harm meant on my end.

No problem. Covington has never played Wooddale, at least in the history I have since 1993. We have played other inner-city schools over the years at Halle or Crump, etc. We were in the region with Raleigh-Egypt and they have their own field. It's an honest question on my part.

BTW, Covington plays on a nice field adjacent to the school, but it's my understanding that it is not owned by the city or the county, but by a group of private individuals. So, not all schools have a stadium of their own.

On 11/13/2019 at 2:00 PM, Ironmaker said:

I just don't think Woodale has the motivation that will be required. 

Ironmaker:

This type of statement just boggles my mind. How on Earth can you even make such a statement? What, you are a secret Wooddale Booster and you know the mindset of the parents who's children play on this Wooddale team? No, wait ... you are a volunteer coach for Wooddale and by your interaction with the team you've come away with such intimate knowlede of the Wooddale team. No? ... Oh I know, You persoanlly know some of the players on the Wooddale team and you know as a matter of a fact that they don't have the proper motivation! Yeah ... that's it! I nailed it didn't I?

I realize you are a homer and you want Milan to win .. but really, you THINK Wooddale lacks the proper motivation that will be required? Really? You went there?

WOW! SMH!

Edited by kwc

3 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

No problem. Covington has never played Wooddale, at least in the history I have since 1993. We have played other inner-city schools over the years at Halle or Crump, etc. We were in the region with Raleigh-Egypt and they have their own field. It's an honest question on my part.

BTW, Covington plays on a nice field adjacent to the school, but it's my understanding that it is not owned by the city or the county, but by a group of private individuals. So, not all schools have a stadium of their own.

Raleigh-Egypt was once in the county and majority white, just to give you context. 

All of this strength of schedule mumbo jumbo is a waste of time. Let's look at what we know.

Common opponents: Raleigh Egypt and Westview.

Milan:

Milan 60, WV 28 ... Nov. 1, 2019

Milan 38-, RE 0 ... Nov. 8, 2019

Wooddale:

WDHS 33, RE 0 ... Sept. 5, 2019

WDHS 54, WV 14 ... Nov. 8, 2019

No clear advantage or disadvantage. Both Milan and Wooddale won thos games convincingly and by similar margins. The only advantage I see is that Wooddale help WV to less points then Milan, but that could be misleading, depending on the flow of the game.

The game is played in Memphis at Kirby ... Home Field advantage to Wooddale.

Now ... According to the Shelby Metro Sportsblog Website and their Team Stats page go here. Wooddale is the 9th best scoring offense amoung the 69 schools in Shelby County through 9 games. On offense according to that page, Wooddale has the 8th best passing offense through those same 9 games averaging 150 yds/game. They don't crack the top 15 in rushing.  They don't crack the top 15 in total yards/game. On defense they are listed as the 18th stingiest defense only allowing 15.4 ppg through 9. They are not in the top 15 in rushing defense, but they are listed 4th in passing defense only allowing 52 ypg. They are listed to have the 8th stingiest defense in all of Shelby County only allowing a measly 168 ypg. Subtracting the passing D from the overall D leaves 116 ypg rushing which puts them right outside of the top 15 in the rushing D category.

I don't have season stats for Milan because they are not in Shelby County. I don't know how they stack up, but it doesn't matter. Both are good teams. I just think the balance is leaning towards Wooddale. However, I can see why Region 7 and Milan folks would think otherwise.

Edited by kwc

One factor in this matchup - Wooddale will not have to contend with the Milan home field advantage. This year, Milan just lined up on D and shut down the Covington O. No dispute, we were beat soundly, and home field for Milan did not enter in.

In the past, however, Covington has felt that we were often the recipient of some "home cooking" at Milan. The officials seem to lean toward the Bulldogs on their home field.

Edited by CHARGERFAN