Witten a vol next year or a pro

CoachSH

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, I love Jason to death as a player for UT. But I don't see him making an impact like Shockey is doing this year in the NFL. Jason doesn't have the explosiveness that Shockey does, though he is very good at breaking tackles. I see him being like a Frank Wycheck or Mark Chamura (before the criminal charges of course). Shockey has flat out speed and very good accelaration while Whitten needs to get turned up field before he can really turn it on (see Michigan/UT game last year).

If Witten leaves this year he'll probably be a 2nd rounder. He probably could stay and move up to a 1st round pick if UT can develop some receivers to take the load off Jason. Add in the fact that UT has finally found a true starting RB in Houston, and the likely return of Clausen *should* (i use that word tentatively) mean that Witten would be able to put up some All-American numbers next year. However, if I were him it would be hard to turn down the money. I just don't think he's as dynamic of a TE as Shockey and his blocking will have to get a little better though he has improved some this year in that aspect.

The real deal at TE is playing down at Miami - the Winslow kid is something else. He's already made Miami forget Shockey.

Volfan911

Listen man, I'm a HUGE fan of Witten. He's probably my favorite Vol. But he does NOT run a 4.4. He runs in the upper 4.5's actually and Jason has even been quoted as saying as much. Go back and read my post buddy, I never said he wasn't fast. I just don't think he's as fast as Shockey nor do I think he has explosiveness to be big time target in the NFL. I think he could be more like a posession receiver playing tight end. Tennessee can't get him the ball much this year because he is the only real threat they have right now. Clausen has been injured and Washington isn't there to take the pressure off him. It's not Fulmer's fault. Fulmer raves over Witten and would love nothing more than to give him 60-70 catches. Heck, Jason leads the team in receptions if I'm not wrong. I never said he wasn't fast, but 4.4 ? hardly. Tony Gonzalez is the most athletic TE in the NFL and even he isn't that fast. I don't want to get into an argument over forty times as they're totally pointless. I'll just say this, I think Jason will be a good TE in the NFL and if he stays healthy could be a good pass catching tigh end. I just don't think he'll be the kind of guy that will create nightmares for NFL defensive coordinators.

Volfan911

Volfan911

I agree with you about that it is not coach fulmer's fault because I really like coach. He tells jay after the last 4 games that he should have gave him the ball more. Without Clawson they cannot throw the ball and they are double teamming Jay.

I am just saying that he can be as good a Shokey. But I hope he stays one more year.