Camden

MannBlue

1 hour ago, vandyfan1 said:

I don’t think Camden will be the team to beat next yr. I think Fairview will be. But McConnell will get Camden where they need to be. You will see a big difference in a yr or two. I’m really surprised he took this job. I know it’s his home but I thought he was trying to move up to college level. Congrats to the loins.

I would guess that there is more at play than all of us know.  I’m sure if that is the case the info will trickle out. Has to be more than “Money” or “want to go home”. He was at home when he lived In New Johnsonville and coached at waverly.  I’ve read that he got scared off in that region.  He is not that kinda guy from what I can tell.  I read someone say he had no idea that the job would open up. Well everyone knew Coach Blow was done.  Most thought he would stop coaching when his son graduated. I think that was last year or the year before. Nope, not buying the excuses being given. Has to be more to the story,  we just need Paul Harvey to tell it to us.  (If I’m right). I will add, I also don’t think Mcconnell is the kind of guy to bash where he was publicly. At least I have never heard about him complaining about waverly even if it is such a dreadful place like one of those Benton county yahoos that post on here talk about.  

10 hours ago, Beagle said:

we know how tough ya'll are.

Lol. I wasn't trying to flex Beagle. I think you know that. Giles Co put us on an offseason diet of humble pie. 

I'm looking forward to this series more than ever now. Although I hear mumbles that you guys might drop to 2A in the next reclassification. You hearing anything about that?

3 hours ago, Swarm said:

Lol. I wasn't trying to flex Beagle. I think you know that. Giles Co put us on an offseason diet of humble pie. 

I'm looking forward to this series more than ever now. Although I hear mumbles that you guys might drop to 2A in the next reclassification. You hearing anything about that?

Hearing you guys might move up..but I have heard we were dropping for years... We might both be better off. Get away from Alcoa   :P

5 hours ago, @38320 said:

Very good chance C-town will drop to 2A next re-classification. That could put them in a region with Riverside and Waverly and that would be interesting. 

I have seen the projections.  It  probably wont happen. We are still 3a in all the models I have seen here on the T. One of the smallest in the state but right there above the line every time.

Not sure it would be any better but we could get away from Alcoa in 3a

Edited by Beagle

On 12/6/2019 at 12:33 PM, Beagle said:

Hearing you guys might move up..but I have heard we were dropping for years... We might both be better off. Get away from Alcoa   :P

No doubt. We both  have a mountain to climb just to get there to take a beating in 3a pretty much. Lol. 

I heard last time we may play up but we stayed in 3a. I actually think we have a much easier path to Cookeville in 4a. Not easy but easier than going through 3a Metro IMO. I figure it'll be a couple more 4 year cycles before we have 4a enrollment though. We're in the low 700s still even with the recent growth. 

Edited by Swarm
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beagle said:

I have seen the projections.  It  probably wont happen. We are still 3a in all the models I have seen here on the T. One of the smallest in the state but right there above the line every time.

Not sure it would be any better but we could get away from Alcoa in 3a

I see......... 

Camden newspaper quotes from McConnell's introduction assembly last Friday

McConnell: "What it comes down to is the guys (the football team) sitting in this room. When you put them first, everything else takes care of itself. You have an opportunity to be successful as long as you take care of the guys."

McConnell: "I have always wanted to coach at Camden. When you get the opportunity to coach where you grew up at. There is nothing that means more than that in our profession." 

"McConnell, a 1997 graduate of CHS: 'It has been a long time. A lot has changed the more than 20 years I have been gone. Left home and went to college at UT Martin. Started coaching at Lewis County, Dyersburg, Brighton, Waverly, Martin and finally this road has brought to me where I wanted to be the whole time....it has brought me home.' "

Shawn McDowell, CHS Principal: "We have a hometown boy who is going to lead our football team and the last time that happened was 1980."

Mark Florence, Director of Schools: "We had 17 applicants, but it was a pretty easy decision folks. We are blessed with one of the best coaches in the state of Tennessee." 

Camden businessman and huge supporter Camden Central High, Brent Smith: "I have only one question for you coach....who do you think we will play in the state championship?"

Edited by @38320

On 12/13/2019 at 12:16 PM, @38320 said:

Camden newspaper quotes from McConnell's introduction assembly last Friday

McConnell: "What it comes down to is the guys (the football team) sitting in this room. When you put them first, everything else takes care of itself. You have an opportunity to be successful as long as you take care of the guys."

McConnell: "I have always wanted to coach at Camden. When you get the opportunity to coach where you grew up at. There is nothing that means more than that in our profession." 

"McConnell, a 1997 graduate of CHS: 'It has been a long time. A lot has changed the more than 20 years I have been gone. Left home and went to college at UT Martin. Started coaching at Lewis County, Dyersburg, Brighton, Waverly, Martin and finally this road has brought to me where I wanted to be the whole time....it has brought me home.' "

Shawn McDowell, CHS Principal: "We have a hometown boy who is going to lead our football team and the last time that happened was 1980."

Mark Florence, Director of Schools: "We had 17 applicants, but it was a pretty easy decision folks. We are blessed with one of the best coaches in the state of Tennessee." 

Camden businessman and huge supporter Camden Central High, Brent Smith: "I have only one question for you coach....who do you think we will play in the state championship?"

You'll play Alcoa in the 2020 Class 3A State Championship.  That's an easy one.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2019 at 5:43 AM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Good luck to Camden. I wish them nothing but the best. But they won’t be in the 2020 championship game. 

The guy who said it is serious  about what he said. He is also  a huge monetary supporter of all Camden Athletics so we tend to let him ramble  :p. I definitely agree with ya. if we were to make it that far is would be miraculous  from where we are right now

Since we're all being honest here, let's discuss how much smoother Camden's recent coaching change has been than Milan's. Milan is the last place in the state I ever thought would have a dumpster fire like that over a coaching change. How long will it take them to get over that so they are back in the mix?