Wooddale @ Covington Round 3

CHARGERFAN

35 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Well, I haven't seen Wooddale to assess their talent. I'm just going by other posts in this thread that said we have more talent. So, let me ask you the corollary question- have you seen Covington play to assess our talent? If not, what makes you disagree?

I still want to invite you to come see this game.

I have not seen Covington. I ride with Memphis over the majority of any other area of TN when we're talking talent. Our issues usually are in coaching and special teams not lack of athleticism and talent. I'll be at the Whitehaven game btw

1 hour ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

I have not seen Covington. I ride with Memphis over the majority of any other area of TN when we're talking talent. Our issues usually are in coaching and special teams not lack of athleticism and talent. I'll be at the Whitehaven game btw

Understand about your support of Whitehaven. I'm the same way about Covington.

Since you are a Memphis team guy, let me share some records with you about Covington vs. Memphis teams over the last 25 years. Regular season, Covington is 34-4 against teams from Memphis. The four losses include 2 to CBHS (we're 0-2) and one to Lausanne (we're 1-1 against them). In the playoffs, Covington is 22-6 versus Memphis teams over the last 25 years. I'll list the losses so that you can see some of the teams that did beat us in the playoffs:

1996 lost to Westwood (Kenton Evans at QB) 11-16

1997 lost to Melrose 7-22. I believe Melrose won it all that year.

1998 lost to Ridgeway 21-24

2002 lost to Ridgeway 20-24

2004 lost to Kingsbury 0-14

2010 lost to Trezevant 6-48 (I think that they played in the championship game)

Since that last loss to Trezevant, we are 6-0 versus Memphis teams in the playoffs. So, I'm not going to guarantee a Covington win, but I like our chances.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

Covington rolls. 

Chargers - 35

Cardinals - 14

No disrespect meant to the region 8 team but Covington is firing on all cylinders at this point and that makes them darn near impossible to beat. Your only chance is to beat them in the special teams game. That is where SGC beat them this year. Outside of that phase of the ball good luck is all I know to tell you. Even if you get a big a play and make some room there defense is too good, too fast, too smart, and too athletic for you to do it on a consistent basis. 

Covington likes to run the football directly at you and dare you get some. If they pick up 3-4 yards they are happy and will continue to do it all night long. They probably will not attempt more than 3 passes all game long. 

Edited by ManOfMillions

6 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Also, watch #20 the white boy run behind his pads and punish the backers. He runs like a man and has ill intentions when he hits you. 

Do not remember his name but he aint scared. He is bringing the punishment. This WILL play into the game as it gets into the later quarters. 

That #20 is Andrew Scott. He started the year playing mostly defense, but after some injuries he came in at running back and has done a great job. He will run over folks.

Here's info on common opponents of Covington and Wooddale:

Milan:

Wooddale won 19-16 at home

Covington lost 14-7 at Milan (Covington's All-state linbacker Winfrey injured, DNP) 

Melrose:

Wooddale won 13-0

Covington won 48-6

Sheffield:

Woodale won 41-0

Covington won 53-6

Westview:

Wooddale won 54-14

Covington won 53-7

So, I'm not smart enough to use this info to predict a score for this week's game, but with 4 common opponents, there is a basis for comparison.

I have done a little digging and from what I  have seen Wooddale has some great skill players that can move out in space and you have to wrap them up or they will break some for long gains or even a TD. I believe Covington has some good skill players on defense too that can play with just about anyone. I have been checking the weather also and its suppose to rain  some Thursday and Friday and I think that will play in Covington's favor in the style they play. 

Edited by fanoffootball2013

Covington rolls in this one. Would of had more of a game had Milan won. Milan had em until they imploded in the short time right before HT then right after HT Went from up 10 to down 9 in a matter of minutes. Then still shoulda coulda won it at the end

The bigger question is how many fans will Wooddale bring?

A. Can count on one hand

B. 6-10

C.11-49

D.<50

29 minutes ago, wolfchase said:

Covington rolls in this one. Would of had more of a game had Milan won. Milan had em until they imploded in the short time right before HT then right after HT Went from up 10 to down 9 in a matter of minutes. Then still shoulda coulda won it at the end

A. Can count on one hand

B. 6-10

C.11-49

D.<50

Great question! 

9 hours ago, wolfchase said:

A. Can count on one hand

B. 6-10

C.11-49

D.<50

Wooddale just beat Milan... SURELY they have more than a puncher's chance to defeat the mighty Chargers?