Summit @ Shelbyville. - ROUND 3

titans1221

1 minute ago, PatriotNation said:

Can't wait until we show people. I really believe we can get it done this year!

I e said it for some time now myself. I thought there would be a Beech/HC rematch, but Shelbyville came in and snatched that away. 

That said, Shelbyville is solid across the board and I mean no disrespect at all. I just think HC is the best team in 5A. 

Shelbyville/Summit will be a great game and I believe either one will play HC tough. 

Interested in watching it all play out. 

Summit was the toughest team that Gallatin played all year.  I’m not saying that that gets them any further than where they are this week but they have definitely earned the opportunity to be there.  Those Wade brothers are the real deal.  7 is just as big of a factor on defense as he is at RB.  I have enjoyed the times Gallatin has played at Shelbyville.  The atmosphere there is just like being at home.  Should be a great game.

not the quarterfinal anyone expected, but both teams absolutely deserve to be here. the way both are playing right now i’m just excited to watch some good football. if i have to pick a winner i’d probably lean a little towards Shelbyville right now. somewhere in the 35-30 range. should be a heck of a game with 2 fire hot teams. 

11 hours ago, FridayMainEvent said:

Hey brother, I'll see you guys Friday.   Heading over there.  Eric, the guy your debating isn't just an everyday fan.  He's very knowledgeable Statewide.  He's filled in on my show a few times.   I do agree with him.   You can't call this the "De Facto Championship" when there are a number of teams that appear pretty even at this point.   I'm inclined to put Powell at one based on who they've beaten this season already, but they'll have their hands full with West this week a team they only beat by one point.   I'm afraid the fact that Coach Lowe's team really hasn't put teams away this season is gonna eventually catch up to them.

I do agree with you however, these two teams are "As good" as any team statewide at the moment.  I'm really excited to watch this one!

I don't think he used the term "De Facto" whatsoever. His point probably was that the winner of this game could win it all. I agree with that. However, many of the other teams could too. My only thought is how do we know for sure who are the best teams?? When we start comparing teams from different areas of the state with completely different schedules, we simply cannot know until they face each other. We can try to use history and tradition, and try to see total wins, scoring margins, etc., but there is no way to truly compare these teams at all, especially on a year-to-year basis in Class 5A specifically. Anyone left in the quarterfinals, especially in 5A, is a very good team and can make it to Cookeville...and win. That's why the playoffs are so unpredictable...yet fun!!

Also, wouldn’t it be fun if the TSSAA stepped into the new age? Let’s make these playoffs more of a cross-section of matchups without all the rematches over and over! Similar to Alabama and Georgia, no rematches until the semifinals!! Please don’t throw travel as an excuse either. We have Knoxville teams heading to northeast Tennessee in the first three rounds, Chattanooga area teams playing northwest middle Tennessee teams, etc. Using travel is a crutch to stay status quo! None of the Region teams deserve all these rematches so soon. Let’s crossover and play other teams, and rotate the brackets each year. Very simple. It’s fair, and it’s fun to play new teams for a change.

2 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Also, wouldn’t it be fun if the TSSAA stepped into the new age? Let’s make these playoffs more of a cross-section of matchups without all the rematches over and over! Similar to Alabama and Georgia, no rematches until the semifinals!! Please don’t throw travel as an excuse either. We have Knoxville teams heading to northeast Tennessee in the first three rounds, Chattanooga area teams playing northwest middle Tennessee teams, etc. Using travel is a crutch to stay status quo! None of the Region teams deserve all these rematches so soon. Let’s crossover and play other teams, and rotate the brackets each year. Very simple. It’s fair, and it’s fun to play new teams for a change.

Might get your wish in about 7 months

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

I like it!  Travel is an age old crutch they've used for years.  Regular season?  Sure, I don't like to see regions spread out over 150 miles, but post season?  Heck ya, let's spice it up a little.

• Like 2

Matchups for this game will be very interesting.   Obviously for Shelbyville, they must contain the Wade brothers.   In the regular season game Summit had 5 turnovers of which 3 were scoop and scores.  That will not happen again!   

Breakdown of SCHS-

Shelbyville's offense was not clicking in the first game and since then the running attack has caught fire.  Marsh #4 and Smalls #10  will be tough to handle if the O-line keeps hammering the way they have been.  Cunningham #8  is also a running threat on the read options and manages the game well for a sophomore.  He has a strong arm and can beat you deep if you decide you want to load the box.  Simmons #15 and Wright #7 are threats with the ball in their hands at the receiver position.  Myson Day #1 can also break out at any time.   On Defense the line is massive,  Smith III - 308 lb.  , Rowe - 370 lb. ,   Goodson - 334,  McBee - 245 lb.  and they are all quick.   Linebacker position is solid with Swader #34 leading the squad.   Defensive backs are all hitters and very good on run support and do a very good job in pass coverage.     

Weaknesses -  Injuries have been a drag on the running backs and have kept them from having a game at 100%.   -  Kicking game is suffering because of injury to first team kicker and extra points and field goals are a struggle.  Kickoffs are well covered but not very deep.    

Edited by deadcenter